Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
High Inquisitor Fairbanks
|Title||High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade|
|Affiliation(s)||Scarlet Crusade, Lordaeron|
|Occupation||Chief Advisor to Highlord Mograine, Former High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Monastery|
|Location||Crusader's Chapel, Scarlet Monastery|
High Inquisitor Fairbanks was the former High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade (though his death may actually pre-date their proper founding). He used to be found in-game as a level 40 elite undead hidden in a secret chamber in the Cathedral of the Scarlet Monastery. His corpse is still located in the same chamber in the revamped Scarlet Monastery.
Fairbanks was tricked and led along with the Highlord by Mograine's son Renault to Stratholme where legions of the Scourge awaited them. Fairbanks was the first to fall, but did not die - he was trapped and hidden under the corpses of the undead. He bore silent witness to Renault's betrayal of his father, hearing Mograine's anguished cries as Ashbringer was plunged through his heart and fouling the blade. Kel'Thuzad later resurrected Mograine as a death knight.
He managed to survive and returned to Hearthglen where he told the tale of betrayal to anyone who would listen. Those who believed him broke away from the Crusade to found the Argent Dawn. Fairbanks was subsequently murdered by the remaining crusaders for his blasphemy as well as possibly showing symptoms of the plague. His body was discarded in a secret chamber in the Scarlet Cathedral.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
The undead Fairbanks could be found in a secret chamber in the Scarlet Monastery and could be killed but no quest originally required that. It is accessible by using a torch on the wall in the right prayer room behind the altar in the Cathedral.
The following section was retconned by the comic and no longer refers to the current lore.
Entering the monastery with equipped will trigger an event, whereby High Inquisitor Fairbanks is redeemed by the Highlord's ghost, freeing his spirit. Talking to him initiates an extensive dialogue with the player, which describes the history of the Ashbringer, and how to find the Highlord's other son in Outland, who can forge the blade anew. Despite popular belief, Fairbanks does not actually give a quest to create a new Ashbringer, or cleanse the Corrupted Ashbringer, or any quests for that matter.
Fairbanks can be seen during the in-game Old Hillsbrad Ashbringer event.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
This section concerns content related to Mists of Pandaria.
High Inquisitor Fairbanks' undead body can be found in the secret room of Scarlet Monastery. He is lying on the ground lifeless. Perhaps, he may have found peace after the heroes collected his bounty from Dominic.
- Curse of Blood — Increases the Physical damage taken by an enemy by 1 for 20 sec.
- Dispel Magic — Dispels magic on the target, removing 1 harmful spell from an ally or 1 beneficial spell from an enemy.
- Fear — Strikes fear in an enemy, causing it to flee in terror for 6 sec. Only 1 target can be feared at a time.
- Heal — Calls upon Holy magic to heal an ally.
- Power Word: Shield — Wraps the caster in a shield that lasts up to 30 sec., absorbing a maximum of 801 Physical or magical damage. While the shield holds, spells will not be interrupted by Physical attacks.
- Sleep — Puts nearby enemies to sleep for up to 6 sec. Any damage caused will awaken them.
- Main article: Corrupted Ashbringer/Scarlet Monastery Event#Dialogue with Fairbanks
- Main article: Ashbringer/Old Hillsbrad Ashbringer event
- Following the release of the Ashbringer comic, there's an inconsistency with him being a member of the Scarlet Crusade. In World of Warcraft, it was stated that Alexandros Mograine and Fairbanks were both founders and members of the Crusade. The Ashbringer comic would depict the formation of the Crusade occurring after Alexandros and Fairbanks' deaths, in which case they would have never been members, and Fairbanks would never have held the title of High Inquisitor. No in-game explanation of the current situation was given either in the game or the comic.
- It can be speculated that he was, in fact, exposed to the plague when hiding under the undead bodies, and when he was killed and left to rot in the Monastery chamber, his body transformed into an undead.
- It can be speculated that the attire was put on him by the Crusaders when they killed him as a sign of mockery. Alternatively, he may have been forced to join the Crusade and was killed soon after.
- Judging by the title, he was succeeded by High Inquisitor Whitemane.
- During the now non-canon Corrupted Ashbringer/Scarlet Monastery Event, Fairbanks was turned from an undead into a human ghost seemingly free from the Lich King. Contrary to popular belief, he was not cured of undeath and does not become alive again.
- Despite most dungeon loot being upped to rare quality in patch 1.10, Fairbanks remained one of the few encounters that dropped entirely uncommon quality loot until patch 3.3.0.
- He was apparently planned to appear in Legion at some point.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed as a boss. His corpse is still present in the revamped Scarlet Monastery.
High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade
High Inquisitor Whitemane