|Level: 98 - 110|
Battle Pet Level: 25
Northern Broken Isles
- “Few places in Azeroth are as beautiful — or as perilous — as Highmountain. Its rugged slopes teem with wild beasts, roaring waterfalls, and breathtaking views. A vast network of caverns winds through the mountain's heart, holding legendary treasures and secrets from Azeroth's distant past.”
- — The Art of World of Warcraft: Legion, pg. 75
Highmountain is a region that dominates the northern horizon of the Broken Isles with its jagged peaks. It is one of the last great frontiers of the isles, named in honor of Huln Highmountain for his bravery in the War of the Ancients.
Long ago, the Old Gods sought to claim Highmountain. Their campaign was led by Uul'gyneth. Huln Highmountain gathered heroes from among the tribes, and fought against Uul'gyneth's servants, the Necrodark. Yet the forces of shadow were too great to overcome. So Huln devised another plan. Wards were placed to lock away the Old Gods' influence. Though the general survived, Uul'gyneth's essence was trapped.
Following the war in Draenor, the Burning Legion began to invade Azeroth through the Tomb of Sargeras. The tauren of Highmountain, descended from Huln Highmountain and other tauren who had fought in the War of the Ancients, had been living in peace with the local drogbar for generations, but when the Legion invaded, the drogbar stole the tauren's sacred artifact, the . The Highmountain are now at risk of being taken over by the drogbar and their king Dargrul the Underking, ruling his kin from the former lair of the black aspect Neltharion.
As is his habit when new parts of the world are ready to be discovered, the one and only Hemet Nesingwary makes his way to the mountains of the Broken Isles in search of new and exotic dangerous animals to hunt.
The wards bounding Uul'gyneth began to weaken just enough for the Darkness to seep through, and the Necrodark began to summon Uul'gyneth into the physical realm. Though Uul'gyneth did manage to incarnate itself, it was defeated by a Horde adventurer.
The namesake mountain of this region, Highmountain Peak, is among the tallest mountains in all of Azeroth, and the Highmountain range which surrounds it is filled with untamed wilds, deep canyons, fertile valleys, and icy peaks. Because the waters of Highmountain flow into Suramar, Stormheim, and Val'sharah, the area serves as the lifeblood of virtually every region on the Broken Isles. Below the surface of the region lies an infinite network of tunnels and caverns, with steam and warmth implying potential volcanic activity.
Maps and subregions
|Instance name||Level range||Group size||Approximate run time|
|Neltharion's Lair||100-110||5 player||Unknown|
- Flight Paths from Thunder Totem
- Flight Paths from Nesingwary's Retreat
- Flight Paths from The Witchwood
- Flight Paths from Felbane Camp
- Flight Paths from Skyhorn
- Flight Paths from Sylvan Falls
- Flight Paths from Stonehoof Watch
- Flight Paths from Prepfoot
- Flight Paths from Shipwreck Cove
- Flight Paths from Ironhorn Enclave
- Flight Paths from Obsidian Overlook
- Trueshot Lodge Flight Paths from
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Stormheim||100 - 110 (scaled)||Southeast||By foot or by flight path|
|Val'sharah||100 - 110 (scaled)||Southwest||By foot or by flight path|
- Main article: Highmountain NPCs
- Dargrul the Underking
- Torok Bloodtotem
- Brann Bronzebeard
- Hemet Nesingwary
- Jale Rivermane
- Lasan Skyhorn
- Mayla Highmountain
- Spiritwalker Ebonhorn
- Main article: Highmountain storyline
- Mountain lions
Notes and trivia
- Highmountain was mainly inspired by the Yosemite National Park, the Swiss Alps and Mount Everest.
- Highmountain as it appears in Legion is set during spring.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.