- Not to be confused with Highmountain tribe.
- For the playable Highmountain tauren race, see Highmountain tauren (playable).
The Highmountain tauren are an offshoot of tauren found in the region of Highmountain on the Broken Isles. Divided into four tribes (Highmountain, Rivermane, Skyhorn and Bloodtotem), they are the direct descendants of the tauren led by who assisted the Kaldorei Resistance during the War of the Ancients. During the war, Huln received a blessing from , so that his people would forever have the demigod's favor, granting them the Horns of Eche'ro: moose-like antlers.
War of the Ancients
The peaks and valleys of Highmountain have been home to four ancient tauren tribes for millenia: Rivermane, Skyhorn, Bloodtotem, and Highmountain. For generations, the tribes fought each other upon the mountain. Countless lives and even entire tribes were lost in the bloodshed, until one day, Huln of the Highmountain tribe found his people slaughtered by an unfamiliar foe. Though battling with grief, he managed to convince the warring tribes to unite under his own banner to face this new threat: the Burning Legion.
Joining with the Kaldorei Resistance alongside the furbolgs and earthen, Huln and his tauren played a crucial role in several battles during the War of the Ancients. For his bravery, Huln and his people received a blessing from the Wild God , so that they would always have the demigod's favor: the Horns of Eche'ro. After the war, Huln returned home. With the aid of a powerful artifact known as the , he banished the black dragon from the region and liberated the dragon's drogbar slaves. In Huln's honor, the four tribes renamed their homeland "Highmountain".
|This section is a lore stub.|
For centuries, the Highmountain tauren tribes protected the Hammer of Khaz'goroth and lived in peace alongside the drogbar. However, soon after the Burning Legion's arrival on the isles, a drogbar leader by the name of rose up and shattered their unity by stealing the hammer and killing High Chieftain Ulan, intending to use the artifact's immense power to take control of the region. In response, , daughter of Ulan and his heir, enlisted the aid of adventurers in order to stop Dargrul and reunite the scattered tribes. Despite their efforts, the Bloodtotem tribe betrayed their brethren by joining the Burning Legion. In their place, the drogbar and his Stonedark tribe joined the Highmountain's cause instead.
Appearance and culture
|This section is a lore stub.|
The Highmountain tauren appear largely similar to their Kalimdor cousins, with the main difference being their prominent antler-like horns, rather than the more bovine-looking horns seen on yaungol, tauren and taunka. Both males and females have these antlers, though the ones seen on females are much smaller. The Highmountain tauren inscribe and decorate their antlers to show their particular tribe affiliation or even their rank within that tribe. Highmountain tauren also seem to be somewhat stronger than their Kalimdor cousins, with one example carrying two other smaller (than himself) tauren on his shoulders while he flees from his home.
Much like the Kalimdor tauren, the Highmountain tauren worship the  and her two eyes, An'she (the sun) and Mu'sha (the White Lady). It is, however, unclear if they acknowledge the Sky Father.
Not all Highmountain tauren are hunters, but those that are typically commemorate their first kill with a ceremonial drum, stretched with the hide of their quarry. Most trailhead drums are made with rabbithide or foxhide. Hunters typically carry them for the rest of their lives.
It is customary for a widow, child, or grandchild to keep a pyrestone from the funeral pyre of an especially loved one. These stones are carried in a pocket and rubbed for courage, comfort, or in rememberance of a lost companionship.
Mounts and companions
The Highmountain tauren frequently use the large and powerful moose of Highmountain as mounts or cook their meat as food. At one point, moosebone was the most common material for fishhooks: solid enough to carve a barb into, but pliable enough not to break off in the mouth of a large salmon. Many tauren fishermen carved elaborate designs into their "lucky hooks".
Notable Highmountain tauren
|Leader of the tauren tribes during the War of the Ancients and wielder of||Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Unknown|
|Former High Chieftain of Highmountain, killed by||Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Unknown|
|Daughter of Ulan and current High Chieftain||Highmountain Tribe||Alive||Various Locations|
|Rivermane chieftain||Rivermane tribe, Highmountain Tribe||Alive||Various Locations|
|Skyhorn chieftain||Skyhorn tribe, Highmountain Tribe||Alive||Various Locations|
|Bloodtotem and later Feltotem chieftain||Bloodtotem tribe, Burning Legion||Killable||Various Locations|
|Legendary miner and blacksmith and one of the first settlers in Highmountain||Unknown||Deceased||Broken Isles|
|Highmountain warbrave, killed by Dargrul||Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Various Locations|
|Rivermane emissary to the Bloodtotem tribe, killed by||Rivermane tribe, Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Various Locations|
|Founder and leader of the Prepfoot||Prepfoot||Alive||Prepfoot Compound, Highmountain|
|Former chieftain of the Highmountain Tribe and wielder of , killed by||Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Lair of the Beast, Stormheim|
|Descendant of Dorro, accompanies survival hunters in search of Talonclaw but is killed by Dakarr||Highmountain Tribe||Deceased||Various Locations|
- Highmountain — The namesake, dominant tribe of the Highmountain tauren, to which the others have traditionally sworn allegiance. Currently led by High Chieftain Mayla Highmountain. Based out of Thunder Totem, the capital of all of Highmountain.
- Bloodtotem — The most cruel, violent and reclusive of the tribes. They represent the element of earth, and their totem animal is a fierce creature with an upturned snout and a wide grin. Led by . Over the course of the Highmountain storyline, the Bloodtotem reveal that they have allied themselves with the Burning Legion and rename themselves the "Feltotem". Initially based out of Torok's Bluff, but later relocate to Feltotem on the western coast.
- Ironhorn — Master craftsmen and blacksmiths, descended from the legendary . Dwell at the Ironhorn Enclave near the top of Highmountain Peak.
- Prepfoot — A recently-formed group who believe that has not been defeated and will soon return to Highmountain and cause the ocean to swallow the entire region. Their founder and leader is , and they are found exclusively in the Prepfoot Compound.
- Rivermane — A peaceful and diplomatic tribe mainly focused on agriculture, fishing and shamanistic water magic. They represent the element of water, and their totem animal is a bear. Commonly looked down upon by the other tauren, but nonetheless provide the fish and crops that feed the entire mountain. Led by . Initially based out of Riverbend, but are forced to relocate to Thunder Totem after Riverbend is destroyed by the drogbar.
- Skyhorn — A proud tribe of hunters and pathfinders that have formed a close bond with the giant eagles of Highmountain. They represent the element of air, and their totem animal is an eagle. Led by and based out of Skyhorn.
- ^ a b c Blizzcon 2015: World and Content Overview Panel (around 41:25)
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Legion: Heroes & Villains. Retrieved on 2016-05-13.
- ^ Quest:Evacuate Snowmane
- ^ Earthmother's Bounty
- ^ Jale Rivermane#Quotes
- ^ Fields of An'she
- ^ Trailhead Drum
- ^ Hand-Smoothed Pyrestone
- ^ Moosebone Fish-Hook