- For the encounter in Ulduar, see .
|Race||Titanic watcher (Giant)|
|Affiliation(s)||Pantheon, Ulduar, Valarjar|
|Occupation||Keeper of Ulduar, Champion of the Valarjar|
Hodir is a titanic watcher who resides in Ulduar. He once resided in the Temple of Winter, lending his guidance to the frost giants in the Storm Peaks. The Sons of Hodir, a faction in the region, refer to Hodir as a father figure or creator.
It was announced on Feb 17, 2009 that Hodir would be a raid encounter in the then-upcoming Ulduar raid dungeon. After being defeated, Hodir is redeemed and teleports away to possibly help the players against later.
Hodir was one of the Keepers created by the Pantheon to lead the titan-forged armies against the forces of the Old Gods. Hodir was imbued with power by . Together with and , he battled and defeated Al'Akir the Windlord.
He disappeared after 's betrayal of the other titanic Watchers. It is said that the temple guardians are verified to be deceased. A sulfurous odor suggests that death resulted from a fire-base entity and that the previously established cold weather patterns at the temple have ceased.
UlduarThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Now the watcher dwells in an ice cave in the Halls of Winter, forced to serve the will of . Hodir first appears as a boss within Ulduar. After defeating him, he breaks from Yogg-Saron's corruption and aids the adventurers in the battle against the Old God. When active, Hodir provides the following buffs:
- Fortitude of Frost — Reduces damage taken from all sources by 20%.
- Hodir's Protective Gaze — Instead of dying, characters get a chance to get encased in ice by Hodir (a 10 second buff which can be clicked away).
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Though sounds the Gjallarhorn, which the keepers of Ulduar are oathbound to answer, they are unable to for the Burning Legion has invaded Ulduar. Odyn sends his Valarjar to aid the forces of Ulduar in their defenses, and Hodir chases the demons through a portal as they retreat. On the other side, in Niskara, Hodir was captured and corrupted by the Legion, but and the Valarjar work together to save him. As gratitude, he offers himself to become a champion in service of the Battlelord and remains at Skyhold.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|The Shattered Walkway||??||7,344,360|
|100 - 108||611,763|
- Main article: Hodir (tactics)#Quotes
- Main article: Quest:Ulduar's Oath#Notes
- Main article: Quest:The Fate of Hodir#Notes
- I thank you for aiding me, <name>. I will gladly fight along your side in Odyn's army.
- You need something?
- Speak, friend.
- What do you need?
- I am Hodir.
- I owe you one, but don't push it.
- Cool it!
- Don't make me have to put you on ice, small friend.
- That's cold!
- Snow big deal!
- Stay frosty!
- May the winds of the north be at your back.
- Stay vigilant.
- Winds of the north consume you!
- Tremble before the northern winds!
- Feel the wrath of Hodir!
Hodir is likely named for the Æsir Höðr or Hod of Norse mythology. Loken's betrayal parallels that of Loki of the same mythology, who tricked Hod into shooting his brother Baldr.
- However it is more likely that he is named for Hymir Hymir a frost giant who once went fishing for Jörmungandr with Thor.
It is possible that Hodir is the original , venerated by the dwarves and later commercialized by the goblins. He has been referred to as a "father figure" and connected to ice and snow. He also refers to the Veil of Winter in Ulduar.
- Hodir is voiced by Richard Epcar.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Added.