- For his appearance in Stormwind Stockade, see Hogger (tactics).
|Affiliation(s)||Riverpaw pack, Defias Brotherhood|
|Occupation||Leader of the Riverpaw pack|
|Status||Defeatable (Elwynn) & Killable (Stockade)|
While Hogger's significance in-game was originally minimal, his relative difficulty at such a low level has caused him to become one of the most well-known and popular minor characters in the game. His role in-game has since been expanded with Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm.
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
A quest from the Westbrook Garrison in Elwynn Forest, near the border of Westfall, offers a reward for Hogger's death. He is an indirect agent of the Defias Brotherhood along with the rest of his Riverpaw pack.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content related to Wrath of the Lich King.
Hogger is a "memory" in the fight against Argent Confessor Paletress in the Trial of the Champion encounter of the Crusaders' Coliseum. This was introduced in patch Patch 3.2.0, "Call of the Crusade".
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
- Main article: Hogger (tactics)
In Cataclysm, Hogger as leader of the Riverpaw gnolls now has his own hill named after him, Hogger Hill, that he is restricted to. Getting him too far from it will cause him to reset. Rather than being killed, after being defeated he is now arrested and taken to the Stockade in Stormwind City, where he is later faced again by adventurers.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Memory of Hogger||82|
|Hogger Hill||5 - 21||168 - 1,265|
Before Cataclysm, Hogger dropped for . Following the expansion, the quest now involves reducing Hogger's HP to 1, and then a set of events will occur and you will automatically accomplish the quest.
Hogger has a reputation as a particularly dangerous foe, primarily because he is one of the first elite mobs a human will meet. Thus, new players will sometimes underestimate him, not knowing what the elite tag indicates. In classic, this mistake was a recipe for a very quick death.
In recent years he has become a bit less of a threat than he originally was; for most classes, he can be soloed relatively easily. Mages and other cloth wearers may still want to group up though, as Hogger can hit fairly hard.
- Eating — Eat a delicious meat pile. Heals 5% of maximum health every 3. Lasts 12 sec.
- Note: causes Upset Stomach, which stuns Hogger for 10 sec, if he is hit while eating.
- Summon Minions — Summons Minions of Hogger to aid the caster in combat.
- Vicious Slice — A vicious slice rips through the enemy target, instantly dealing 100% normal weapon damage. The target is also left bleeding for 2% of maximum health every 2 sec. for 6 sec.
- Head Butt 5 yd range — Stuns an enemy, rendering it unable to move or attack for 2 sec. Instant
- Pierce Armor Melee range — Reduces an enemy's armor by 50% for 20 sec. Instant (45 sec cooldown)
- Rushing Charge — Increases the caster's movement speed by 60% for 3 sec. and causes it to inflict an additional 10 damage on its first attack. Instant (5 sec cooldown)
A "Hogger raid" is where many level 1 characters (a full 40-man raid back in the day, nowadays usually no more than 25 persons) attempt to kill Hogger by zerging him. Level 1 players can no longer form a raid group.
Hogger is also used as a joke when it comes to where loot drops. Many people will jokingly say that items such as bosses, which has no basis in fact and serves only to glorify him., and are rare drops from Hogger. Keep in mind that Hogger has no extraordinary loot, and these claims are false. Hogger is also often referred to as an extraordinarily difficult mob on par with other raid
In almost every respect, the cultural icon of Hogger far exceeds that of the actual in-game character. Hogger is often aggrandised in jokes traditionally featuring Chuck Norris. With the introduction of the statistics system, the number of times the character has been killed by Hogger is specifically listed in each player's statistics pane, even for Horde characters.
- He was one of a very few old-world elite mobs who kept his elite status after Patch 2.3.
- He can play the role of Flat Tusk for Alliance players.
- Hogger originally had exactly 666 health, the Biblical Number of the Beast, just like Old Icebeard and Captain Flat Tusk (NPCs similar in level and difficulty to Hogger, for dwarf and orc characters, respectively).
- In a PC World article, Hogger was voted as #24 of the 47 "most diabolical videogame villains of all time".
- The upcoming Character Battle VII of GameFAQs includes Hogger as an entry in Division 7. His description reads: "An unbeatable 40-man raid boss in World of Warcraft. No guild can take him down."
- During the BlizzCon 2009 live raid by the raiding guild Premonition, the final boss they fought was a level 80 heroic version of Hogger which they were not able to defeat.
- Since World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, many player stats are tracked, including deaths to various things (mobs, lava, drowning, etc). One such way of dying recorded is deaths to Hogger.
- On rare occasions, Hogger appears as level 8 or 10. The cause of this is unknown.
- , a miniature version of Hogger, is rewarded from the achievement at the Darkmoon Faire.
- Hogger appears as a legendary card in Hearthstone. His flavor text reads "Hogger is super powerful. If you kill him, it's because he let you."
- He also appears as the first boss that new players face in the game's initial tutorial.
- A corrupted version of Hogger, known as Hogger, Doom of Elwynn, appears as a legendary card in the Whispers of the Old Gods expansion. His flavor text reads: "When C'thun went to sleep, he checked under his bed for Hogger."
- Additionally, the Hogger card back was rewarded for achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Season 24, which took place during March 2016. The flavor text reads: "The Terror of Elwynn, the King of Gnolls. They say he bathes in the tears of young heroes, hence the wet dog smell."
- Samwise Didier hopes to include Hogger in Heroes of the Storm.
- A "Wanted: Hogger" poster appears in the Warcraft film.
A card back themed after Hogger in Hearthstone.
- Hogger (tactics silly) - Silly article
- ^ 2013-11-11, Blizzard could add dormant franchise characters to Heroes of the Storm. Facepunch, retrieved on 2014-06-16
- ^ 2014-11-12, BlizzCon 2014 – Warcraft Movie Presentation Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2015-03-11