Halford Wyrmbane (presumed)
Alliance Base (destroyed)
|Theater of operations|
Survivors regrouped into the city-state of Theramore
The Human Expedition (referred to as the survivors of Lordaeron or the Alliance refugees) was an expedition and a league of Alliance military and civilian groups that fled to Kalimdor from Lordaeron after the plague of undeath and the Scourge decimated the kingdoms of Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas, and Dalaran. They were led by Jaina Proudmoore, who was determined to find a safe haven for her people, she being the only human who listened to the Prophet Medivh and fled.
Following the Battle of Mount Hyjal, the majority of the members of these parties settled on Theramore Isle in Dustwallow Marsh under the wise leadership of Jaina Proudmoore. These forces would soon become part of the army of Theramore. It is likely that many of the Expedition would later form part of the 7th Legion.
- Lordaeron Brigade — A brigade of humans from Lordaeron.
- Lordaeron Corps — Lordaeron's elite soldiers guarding the expedition.
- Gilneas Brigade — A brigade of humans from Gilneas sent by Darius Crowley. It contained many dwarves as well.
- Kul Tiras Elite Corps — A force of humans troops from Kul Tiras, likely Jaina's personal guard.
- Stromgarde Brigade — A brigade of human troops from Stromgarde.
As the factions didn't appear in any other missions, it is assumed that any survivors were assimilated into the Human Expedition which then participated in the missions in Ashenvale, Winterspring, and Mount Hyjal.
In the RPG
Some of the earlier passages in Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game and the Alliance & Horde Compendium hinted that the Human Expedition survivors settled in Kalimdor. With the humans settling on Theramore, dwarves and gnomes at Bael Modan, and Wildhammers on some peaks in Ashenvale near Hyjal. It could be that the people who fled to Kalimdor actually thought they were the only survivors as the RPG books states that for a long time it was hard to get news about the Eastern Kingdoms by ship across the Maelstrom safely.
- The name was also associated with the human prisoners of Kul'Tiras Marines beneath the Darkspear Islands.
- Opening Cry of the Warsong (WC3 Orc) in world editor reveals that the team name for the human factions is Human Expedition.
- It was originally implied in Warcraft III and in the original Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game book that the Expedition was most, if not all, of the survivors of the Eastern Kingdoms. The Frozen Throne contradicted this by depicting many human and blood elf survivors still fighting. The release of World of Warcraft and its manual confused the issue again by saying that "The few humans who survived the Third War fled south to the protection of Stormwind." despite also showing survivors of the Scarlet Crusade, Argent Dawn, Dalaran, and Southshore.
- Sir Thomas urged on his wife and children to leave with Jaina Proudmoore to Kalimdor, but their ship was caught in a storm and got damaged before it could leave, forcing its passengers to flee back to Lordaeron.
- ^ a b High Commander Halford Wyrmbane#Quotes
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. 68
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. 64
- ^ a b c d e Cry of the Warsong (WC3 Orc)
- ^ a b c Where Wyverns Dare (WC3 Orc)
- ^ Lands of Mystery, pg. 74
- ^ Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 214
- ^ World of Warcraft: Game Manual, pg. 168
- ^ Legends: A Cleansing Fire