Hymn of Hope
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
|Hymn of Hope|
Hymn of Hope was a channeled priest mana regeneration ability. You recite a Holy hymn, restoring hope to those in despair. The Hymn restores 2% mana to 3 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 sec for 8 sec, and increases their total maximum mana by 15% for 8 sec. The Hymn prefers healers, and healers will always be picked before non-healers, regardless of how much mana they have. The Priest must channel to maintain the spell.
- Hymn of Hope applies a buff that increases the target's maximum mana by 15% for 8 seconds. This buff is applied immediately after mana is restored to the target, and its duration is refreshed with each re-application. The buff is only granted to the targets receiving the Hymn's mana restoration effect.
- The buff does not merely increase the player's maximum mana - it immediately grants them an additional 15% of their previous maximum mana. This mana is lost when the effect expires. In this way, Hymn of Hope's buff is similar to .
- Once the Hymn's mana buff expires, the player's maximum mana will return to its previous level, and any mana above that limit will be lost.
- Hymn of Hope's 15% mana buff also means that it will almost always restore more than the stated 2% of each target's normal total mana. The buff is placed and refreshed immediately after each tick. Targets receiving more than one tick will therefore effectively receive 2.3% of their total mana for each additional tick. If the same target receives 4 ticks from the Hymn, they will therefore receive (2 + 2.3 + 2.3 + 2.3) = 8.9% of their total mana, not 8%.
- Hymn of Hope automatically selects the 3 nearby raid members with the lowest mana. Targets are re-selected each tick, based on current mana levels. The casting priest will not receive any benefit from Hymn of Hope unless selected as one of the 3 targets.
- Hymn of Hope benefits from haste, allowing it to restore mana far more quickly and more frequently.
- Contrary to the tooltip, Hymn of Hope is not limited to a maximum of 12 mana restores. Like , sufficient haste will add additional ticks, causing extra mana regeneration. Additional ticks are added at 12.5%, 37.5%, 62.5% and 87.5% spell haste. It is assumed that Hymn of Hope cannot tick faster than once per second, caping its haste benefit at 87.5%, where it will provide 200% of the usual benefit, at twice the speed. Since the spell selects targets each tick, this can allow it to effectively provide twice the benefit to the usual number of targets, or provide the usual amount of benefit to twice as many targets. This also theoretically allows it to provide the 15% mana buff to up to 24 targets.
- Priests have 100% protection from pushback while channeling Hymn of Hope. This means that priests do not have to worry about damaging attacks foreshortening the spell and wasting its effect, although effects such as stuns and interrupts will of course still stop the spell.
- Hymn of Hope is best used during points in encounters where the priest does not need to move or should not move in order to ensure a full channel can be accomplished. Since priests cannot heal or use abilities while channeling Hymn of Hope, anticipation of incoming damage is also important when using this mid-fight.
- Mana restoration abilities that restore a % of your maximum mana benefit from Hymn of Hope's buff, and will restore 115% of the normal amount if cast while you have the buff. This includes abilities such as , , and .
- Multiple priests channeling Hymn of Hope can cause the bonus mana increase to stack, further increasing mana gained through the above abilities.
- Hymn of Hope's buff allows it to be used similarly to in extremely low-mana situations. A single tick will instantly grant the priest 17% of their total mana (15% + 2%), which can then be used quickly before it expires (8 seconds later). Only mana left unused when the buff expires will be lost. By using Hymn of Hope in this way, priests can actually gain an additional 15% mana from using Hymn of Hope, almost doubling its base benefit to themselves, provided they use all the mana granted.
- Since sufficient haste will add ticks to Hymn of Hope, it can be useful to combine its use with effects that provide haste bonuses such as trinkets, or .
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now prefers to target healers when it grants mana. Healers will always be picked before non-healers, regardless of how much mana they have.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Priests now innately have 100% pushback protection from damage while channeling and Hymn of Hope.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): The spell now restores 3% of mana to 3 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 seconds for 8 seconds. It temporarily increases their total maximum mana by 20% for 8 seconds, but the increase is lost after the effect expires. There is a maximum of 12 mana regenerations and the cooldown has been increased from 5 to 6 minutes.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): has been renamed to Hymn of Hope. In addition it became available to all priests and was no longer a priest racial spell.