Ice Barrier is a level 26 Frost mage ability. It is an important defensive cooldown, shielding the caster for up to 60 seconds, absorbing damage similarly to a priest's . The shield absorbs physical, magical, and most environmental damage (fall damage is not absorbed). Damage from DoTs such as poison is also absorbed.
- The total amount the shield can absorb is increased by 22% of the caster's total health.
- While shielded, spells do not lose casting time due to push-back interruption.
- Ice Barrier stacks with other damage shield spells such as .
- causes Ice Barrier to grant an additional 200% armor while active, and allows to apply Ice Barrier when it fades, regardless of cooldown.
- Eldritch Warding increases the absorption value of Ice Barrier.
- Ice Barrier is a common Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "This is Rank 1. Rank 2 is Chocolate Milk Barrier."
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Ice Barrier's absorption value now scales from the Mage's maximum health rather than spell power.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Now exclusive to Frost specialization and learned at level 26. The snare effect of the now removed has been folded into this ability.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now available at level 54, up from level 16.
- Hotfix (2016-08-24): "The Dense Ice version of Ice Barrier can now be properly refreshed, even when the shield is undamaged."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Changed to a level 16 ability for all specializations. Now absorbs 202% more damage.
- Patch 5.1.0 (2012-11-27): The damage absorbed by Ice Barrier has been reduced by 25%.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now available to all specializations as a talent. Cooldown reduced from 30 to 25 sec.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Base damage value has been increased by approximately 120%. In addition, the benefit from spell power has been increased by approximately 8%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): No longer has as a prerequisite.
- Patch 2.3.2 (2008-01-08): The talent, , required to obtain Ice Barrier was removed from the Frost (talent tree), moving up in its place to make room for a new talent, .
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Ice Barrier will gain an additional benefit from frost spell damage gear, however the base amount of damage absorbed for ranks 5 and 6 has been lowered.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Ice Barrier Rank 6 was added.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Ice Barrier received an overhaul. The spell was changed to stack with (which previously overwrote it), had its cooldown reduced from 2 minutes to 30 seconds, gained the benefit of frost spell damage, and was prioritized to absorb damage before , thus saving mana when using both shields.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Training costs added to ranks.