- For the large building complex, see Icecrown Citadel. For the raid instance, see Icecrown Citadel (instance).
|Level: 77 - 80
Battle Pet Level: 22 - 23
- It was in Icecrown that the ensorcelled diamond-hard ice containing the armored form of Ner'zhul crashed and became the Frozen Throne. It was also here that the death knight Arthas shattered the throne and merged with his former master. Now, from within the brooding Icecrown Citadel, the Lich King commands his undead Scourge to scour the world of all life.
Icecrown, also known as Ice Crown, is a zone composed of mostly Icecrown Glacier and the immediate area around it. In Lands of Mystery, the whole zone was called "Icecrown Glacier". Icecrown is surrounded by mountains. The ground is heavily desecrated, frozen earth that resembles solid, black ice. Thus little can grow here.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Notable characters
- 4 Quests
- 5 Resources
- 6 Wild creatures
- 7 Warcraft III
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The name of Icecrown became infamous when hurled the back into the mortal world. Ner'zhul's prison slammed into the glacier and created the Frozen Throne. The impact was seen as far away as the Grizzly Hills. Here the Lich King remained until freed by Arthas, and the two beings merged into Arthas' body. From the Icecrown Citadel, he commands the Scourge.
Apparently, troops of the Scarlet Crusade succeeded in approaching the stronghold during a counter offensive, but in the end were repelled by the Scourge. was the highest-ranking human among the countless casualties of this failed assault.
In World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, Icecrown, previously ravaged by the tremendous force unleashed when Arthas and the Lich King merged into a single being, has been heavily fortified by the Scourge. Massive walls and ramparts have been erected throughout the region and Angrathar the Wrathgate bars entry from the bordering Dragonblight, while the reconstructed Icecrown Citadel looms overhead. The glacier itself is protected by three gates: Mord'rethar, Aldur'thar and Corp'rethar.
|Instance name||Level range||Group size||Approximate run time|
|Trial of the Champion||80||5-player||20 minutes|
|Trial of the Crusader (Heroic)||80 (Raid)||10/25-player||1–2 hours|
|Frozen Halls: Forge of Souls||80||5-player||20–30 minutes|
|Frozen Halls: Pit of Saron||80||5-player||1 hour|
|Frozen Halls: Halls of Reflection||80||5-player||30 min - 1 hour|
|Icecrown Citadel||80 (Raid)||10/25-player||5+ hours|
Regions adjacent to Icecrown
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Wintergrasp||PvP||Southwest||By flight path|
|Dragonblight||71-75||South||By flight path|
|Sholazar Basin||75-78||West||By flight path|
|Crystalsong Forest||77-80||Southeast||By foot and flight path|
|Hrothgar's Landing||77-80||North||By flying mount|
|Storm Peaks||77-80||East||By flight path|
- See also: Icecrown NPCs
Knights of the Ebon Blade
- () at Valley of Echoes and in Argent Vanguard
- aboard The Skybreaker
- aboard Orgrim's Hammer
- at the Shadow Vault
- at Silent Vigil (upon completing )
- Main article: Icecrown quests
The obelisks around the Frozen Throne were guarded by ice revenants, and were hostile to all comers, including the Scourge. A small group of tuskarr could be found nearby. The area is notably forested, with significant amounts of meltwater.
A melee map named Ice Crown exists. It uses the Northrend tileset.;
These frozen woods are haunted by souls in torment, enslaved by the dark magic of the Undead.
- Due to the heavy Scourge presence in Icecrown, both the Horde and the Alliance are using flying gunships as their base of operations in Icecrown instead of the traditional ground base. However, both Horde and Alliance have an Argent base camp known as Argent Vanguard, which is located in the southeast of the zone. New players to the zone should start here in order to pick up important quests which will update many phases of the zone.