|Race||Blood elf (Humanoid)|
|Location||Chamber of Command, Black Temple|
The Illidari Council is a group of four blood elf bosses in the Black Temple. The fight is comparable to High King Maulgar since it sports a difficult pull and a rather chaotic battle for survival, which requires high situational awareness and fast reflexes from all raid members.
- 1 Background
- 2 Overview
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Preparation
- 5 The Pull
- 6 Tanking
- 7 Healing
- 8 Soloing
- 9 Tips
- 10 Loot
- 11 Quotes
- 12 References
- 13 Patches and hotfixes
- 14 External links
The Illidari Council were among the most talented and powerful blood elves Kael'thas Sunstrider led to Outland. The prince left them in Shadowmoon Valley to advise and assist his master, Illidan Stormrage, while he left for Netherstorm. The council vied for Illidan's favor and frequently schemed against one another, naming themselves the Illidari Council in a mostly ostentatious display, but Illidan acknowledged that they were exceptionally gifted in their respective fields: Gathios the Shatterer in matters of war and logistics, Veras Darkshadow in the realms of espionage and shadowing, Lady Malande's talent for upholding relations with Illidan's other servitors, and High Nethermancer Zerevor's arcane mastery. The council remained some of Illidan's most steadfast followers even after their own prince's defection to the Burning Legion.
On the eve of the Black Temple's fall, it was the council who organized much of the resistance against the Sha'tar and their allies. Illidan, obsessed with his mission to plot the downfall of Argus, had mostly lost interest in the battle's outcome, and had come to view his ruined kingdom on Outland as a sacrifice of little consequence. However, after accompanying the council to the temple's ramparts to observe the flow of battle, he knew this clash of the Legion's enemies was what Kil'jaeden had anticipated. The Betrayer ordered the Illidari Council to retreat and prepare for battle, freshly resolved to both win this battle and finish his own personal strike at the Legion's heart. With his demon hunters away on Mardum, the council were Illidan's last line of defense, and fought to their deaths in his service.
Please add any available information to this section.
The Illidari Council consists of a powerful paladin, rogue, mage, and priest. They share health and bring their iconic abilities to bear against their foes.
- Melee damage dealers should avoid striking High Nethermancer Zerevor due to his Arcane Explosion.
- Interrupt Lady Malande's Circle of Healing.
- Allies afflicted with Veras's Envenom require urgent healing attention.
- Hold the attention of Gathios the Shatterer and Veras Darkshadow.
- Keep Gathios the Shatterer away from the other members of the council to avoid buffing them with Devotion Aura.
- Gathios the Shatterer
- Blessings — Gathios can have one Blessing active at a time.
- Judgments — Gathios will cast a Judgement based on which Seal he has active.
- Devotion Aura — Reduces damage taken by 75%.
- Consecration — Consecrates the land beneath Gathios, doing 27000 Holy damage over 20 sec to enemies who enter the area.
- Hammer of Justice — Stuns an enemy, rendering it unable to move or attack for 6 sec.
- Veras Darkshadow
- High Nethermancer Zerevor
- Arcane Bolt — Hurls a magical bolt at an enemy, inflicting 9750 to 10250 Arcane damage.
- Flamestrike — Calls down a pillar of flame, burning all enemies in a selected area and inflicting 5049 to 5751 Fire damage every 2 sec. for 12 sec.
- Blizzard — Calls down a blizzard that lasts 12 sec., inflicting 7875 to 10125 Frost damage every 2 sec. to all enemies in a selected area.
- Dampen Magic — Dampens magic used against the targeted party member, decreasing damage taken from spells by up to 75% and healing spells by up to 50%. Lasts 5 min.
- Arcane Explosion — Sends out a blast wave of magic, inflicting 12540 to 13860 Arcane damage to enemies within 10 yards.
- Lady Malande
- Circle of Healing — Invokes Holy magic to heal nearby party members.
- Empowered Smite — Smites an enemy, inflicting 7932 to 8768 Holy damage.
- Divine Wrath — Consumes an enemy in flames, burning it and inflicting 4500 Fire damage every 2 sec. over 8 sec.
- Reflective Shield — Wraps the caster in a shield that lasts up to 20 sec., absorbing a maximum of 25000 damage and reflecting half of any absorbed damage back onto the attacker.
- 1 main tank (Gathios)
- 2 off-tanks (Malande and Veras)
- 1 mage tank (Zerevor)
- 12-13 damage dealers
- 8-9 healers
Similar to High King Maulgar, a correct pull is difficult to set up, but extremely important. In order of precedence, the mobs should be assigned as follows:
- A mage buffed with , a full stack of HoTs and a starts the fight by pulling Zerevor (the mage) from 35 yards away, towards the left side of the platform
- Gathios (the Paladin) should be immediately misdirected to the main tank, and tanked on the opposite (right) side of the platform
- Veras and Malande can both be tanked by one off-tank each near the middle of the stairs, about 15 yards apart. Additional misdirections facilitate this pulling
Gnomes can experience line of sight issues when attempting the pull. They need to either go to the top of the platform or change their character model (e.g. withor ).
The critical element is the mage, who may easily die if one of the other bosses attacks him. It's possible to start the fight with an Imp (or other pet), which then takes the first Arcane Bolt. This gives the raid a second or so to get the mobs under control. Of course, the mage tank must give the pet just a split second head start, and gain Aggro on Zerevor (and spellsteal) as quickly as possible.
Lady Malandes heals must be interrupted under all circumstances, and all her other spells should be interrupted as much as possible. Since she's the preferred target of Gathios' blessings, she's invulnerable to one type of damage (physical or magic) most of the time. Therefore a total of four interrupters should stay on her - two physical and two magical. , and Mind Numbing Poison are highly recommended. If there's some AoE on her spot and she's blessed vs. magic, a last resort is to have a Rogue wearing the PvP gloves interrupt her by throwing. The group tanking/interrupting her must call out the target if a Divine Wrath gets through, so that the raid healers can adjust.
High Nethermancer Zerevors Dampen Magic must be spellstolen as frequently as possible. Everybody must keep at least 10 yards away from him to avoid arcane explosion.
Gathios the Shatterer is the main DPS target. The main tank should use spell reflect when the Seal of Command is Judged (this happens in regular intervals). The melee damage dealers must be extra careful never to attack him from the front, since an increase of his attack speed (after a parry) can mean near-instant death for the MT. This is particularly difficult, because if there's some AoE taking place, the tank has to move. The best practice is to stop melee until Gathios stands still in his new location.
Aggro (on Gathios) is not an issue, because the spell reflects create a lot of threat. After the second reflected Judgement, all damage dealers can safely ignore their threat meters and go all-out.
After a Vanish, Veras temporarily ignores his aggro list, until he's hit again by the tank. A druid or paladin tank is therefore better suited for this task than a warrior. If a warrior must tank him, it's highly advisable to set up an macro which follows an Intercept or Intervene directly with an Autoattack.
Two healers on the main tank, one on each of the three other tanks, remaining healers on raid heal. The whole raid has to watch out for a lot of different AoE effects. There's about six different types of AoE and debuffs which can occur, and there is nothing predictable. Raid members must be very quick to run out of AoEs, and healers must be extremely alert to heal through some poison debuff or other damage, while evading AoEs themselves.
This is probably the most difficult encounter in Black Temple to solo, as Lady Malande's heals can effectively mean the player has to do a few million more damage than the Council's starting health to secure a kill. Even when reduced to 1 hit point, Malande and/or Gaithos can still cast a heal before the player lands the killing blow, which can lead to some frustrating moments. The best strategy seems to be to focus on Gathios, blowing all cooldowns at the start. As the player gets close to a kill, he/she needs to put up DOTs or AOEs on Gaithos so as to greatly increase the chances that the player will get in one final damaging blow before Malande gets off a heal at 1 hit point. It is also helpful if the player does the encounter on the platform where the Council starts, since any AOEs will hit at least two other members and lower their life pool more quickly as well as make landing the killing blow easier.
One tactic that can help your tank locate Veras Darkshadow after a vanish is to have a hunter make the a spamable macro to mark Veras before he reappears. This should put a big red arrow over Veras about 3 seconds before he reappears.
/focus Veras Darkshadow /cast [target=focus, exists] Hunter's Mark
- Flee or die!
- No second chances!
- I'm full of surprises!
- Kill Comment
- As it should be.
- My work is done.
- Destiny... awaits.
Gathios the Shatterer
- I have better things to do!
- Enjoy your final moments!
- You are mine!
- Kill Comment
- Well done!
- Selama amor'anore!
- Enough games!
- Lord Illidan...I...
High Nethermancer Zerevor
- Common. Such a crude language. Ban'dal!
- Diel fin'al.
- Sha'amoor ara mashaal?
- Killing a Player
- Kill Comment
- Belesa menoor!
- Sha'amoor seabenal!
- Diel ma'ahn... orindel'o.
- You wish to test me?
- You're not cut out for this!
- Anar'alah belore!
- Kill Comment
- A glorious kill!
- Valiant effort!
- You wish to kill me? Hahaha, you first!
- You got... lucky.
- Akama says: Those who've defiled this temple have all been defeated. All but one!
- Akama says: Let us finish what we've started. I will lead you to Illidan's abode once you've recovered your strength.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-10-20): "Lady Malande's Reflective Shield should no longer reflect back an excessive amount of damage."
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Added.