||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.1.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes.
- Improved Shadow Bolt (5 ranks)
- Destruction, Tier 1
- Increases the damage done by your Shadow Bolt spell by 2/4/6/8/10%, and your Shadow Bolt causes your target to be vulnerable to spell damage, increasing spell critical strike chance against that target by 1/2/3/4/5%. Effect lasts 30 sec.
Improved Shadow Bolt is a talent in the Destruction tree, you will need to spend 5 points in Destruction to max it.
- The debuff applied to target is a magic effect called Shadow Mastery, which should not be confused with the [Shadow Mastery] talent found at tier 6 of the Affliction tree.
- The Shadow Mastery debuff and the mage [Improved Scorch] debuff do not stack. The Shadow Mastery debuff takes precedence over the Improved Scorch, and will override Improved Scorch, however the opposite is not true.
- As a result of the priority of Shadow Mastery over Improved Scorch, if a talented Warlock and Mage are in the same group, it is better for the warlock to cast Improved Shadow Bolt than for a mage to try to maintain the scorch debuff, as scorch is considered a DPS loss within the mage's rotation.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Removed.
- Patch 3.3.2 (2010-02-01): Damage done by Shadow Bolt increased by 2/4/6/8/10%, up from 1/2/3/4/5%.
- Hotfix (2009-04-21): "Shadow Mastery and [Improved Scorch] will no longer stack with each other."
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Now increases the damage done by your Shadow Bolt spell by 1/2/3/4/5%, and causes your target to be vulnerable to spell damage, increasing spell critical strike chance against that target by 1/2/3/4/5%. Effect lasts 30 sec.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Changed from applying a debuff to the target to a self-buff on the Warlock.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): The effect of this talent will now still be placed on the victim if the caster is killed before their spell reaches the target.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Periodic damage spells and non-damaging spells will no longer consume charges of Shadow Vulnerability.
- Patch 1.10.2 (2006-05-02): Will now proc properly after landing a critical strike with Shadow Bolt.
- Patch 1.2.1 (2004-12-21): Added a limited duration to the effect.