Incapacitate or Knockout, is a form of crowd control that renders a player or NPC unable to move or act for a short period of time. Incapacitate differs from Stun in that Incapacitate effects always break on damage, while Stun effects don't. Incapacitate effects are also often harder to break free from; a mage can for example break a stun by using but will be unable to do so if incapacitated. Incapacitate effects differ from Disorient effects in that the target is stationary rather than wandering about.
Example of Incapacitate effects:
- Paladin: ( Talent)
- Engineering gizmo and most bombs and grenades.
- , a drop from Eric "The Swift", an elite dwarf only killable by Horde characters in Uldaman.
- Ways to remove Incapacitate effects:
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Sap mechanic changed from "Incapacitate" to "Sap". This will allow more humanoids that were previously immune to Sap to be vulnerable to Sap, but still immune to Gouge. Note that anything that removed Sap previously will still remove Sap after the change.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): The stun caused by engineering Bombs and Grenades is now considered an Incapacitate effect and uses the appropriate Incapacitate diminishing returns.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): All Disorient effects have been renamed Incapacitate effects. This includes Gouge, Sap, etc.