Ingvar the Plunderer is the last boss in Utgarde Keep. He directs the attacks on Valgarde from the balcony over the waterfall in Daggercap Bay. Under the command of Ingvar the Plunderer, the dragon riders revel in slaughtering their enemies from above without warning. He's known among both ally and enemy forces for his brute strength. His axe is duller than one would think; when close up, he relies on his brute strength to cut down foes.
Ingvar is a "memory" in the fight against Argent Confessor Paletress in the Trial of the Champion encounter of the Crusaders' Coliseum.
Ingvar's brute strength is legendary even among the vrykul. Rumor has it that he once bested King Ymiron in a brawl. The truth is unknown, but purveyors of that tale usually don't live for a retelling. Ingvar has promised the Lich King that he'll use all measures of brutality to hold the keep, a promise that he dare not break.
Attacks and abilities
Phase 1: In His Service
- Smash — Ingvar the Plunderer smashes all players in a 10 yard cone in front of him, inflicting Physical damage.
- Cleave — Ingvar the Plunderer cleaves a player, inflicting Physical damage to them and their closest ally.
- Staggering Roar — Ingvar the Plunderer roars, inflicting Physical damage to all players and interrupting any spells being cast for 6 sec.
- Enrage — Ingvar the Plunderer enrages, increasing his attack speed. This effect stacks up to $42705U times.
Phase 2: The Price of Failure
When Ingvar the Plunderer is killed, he is brought back to life by the Lich King's servant, Annhylde the Caller, as an undead slave.
- Dark Smash — Ingvar the Plunderer smashes all players in a 10 yard cone in front of him, inflicting Shadow damage. In addition, Dark Smash inflicts Shadow damage to all players and stuns them for 2 sec.
- Shadow Axe — Ingvar the Plunderer throws a Shadow Axe at a random player. The axe will arrive at the player's location and spin in place for 10 sec, inflicting Shadow damage to all players within 0 yards every second.
- Dreadful Roar — Ingvar the Plunderer roars, inflicting Shadow damage to all players and interrupting any spells being cast for 8 sec. In addition, players will take additional damage from Shadow damage. This effect lasts for 1 min. and can stack up to 40 times.
- Woe Strike — Ingvar the Plunderer inflicts Physical damage to a player and inflicts the target with Woe Strike. Any healing the target receives while afflicted with Woe Strike inflicts Shadow damage to the healer.
- Tank Ingvar so that he is facing away from the group if possible.
- Tank Ingvar near a pillar.
- When Ingvar casts (Dark) Smash you can avoid the effect by either dodging the effect in the middle of his animation (he jumps) or by LOSing Ingvar with a pillar.
- It is critical for the tank to move out of the 10 yards range in time (should be no problem since both abilities have a 3 second cast).
- Run directly away from any melee class behind him so that you don't accidentally turn him towards them (his (Dark) Smash is a cone and will most likely kill them instantly).
- When Ingvar the Damned (Phase 2) throws his axe move Ingvar away from it so it doesn't kill the melee.
Melee DPS Tactics
- It is essential that any melee class apart from the tank stays behind him.
- When he casts Smash (Phase 1) move back to make sure you're not hit by it accidentally.
- When Ingvar throws his axe (Phase 2) make sure you don't stand in the whirling axe. It will kill you.
- When he casts Dark Smash (Phase 2) use a pillar to LOS Ingvar to reduce or negate the shadow damage.
- Be ready to run.
- Plant DoT effects - poison, Rip, tear, Mangle, bleed effects, Seal of Corruption, etc - anything that keeps hitting while running is helpful.
- Don't expect high damage output.
Ranged DPS and Healing Tactics
- Make sure you stand at least far enough away you don't accidentally eat a (Dark) Smash.
- (non-healers) When Ingvar casts Dark Smash (Phase 2) LOS him with a pillar to reduce or avoid the shadow damage.
- (healers) When Ingvar casts Dark Smash (Phase 2) your ability to LOS him with a pillar is directly proportional to your ability to keep the tank alive if you get knocked down out of LOS. LOS your tank at your own risk.
- If Ingvar throws his axe at you, don't stand in the Magical Axe of Whirly-Doom effect. It will kill you.
- When Ingvar casts his roar, stop casting. If you don't you'll be eating an 8 second school lock-out (enemy casting bars work wonders).
- Never under any circumstances should uncontrollable Guardian-type pets be used. They tend to get (Dark) Smashed and kill the group (I'm looking at you [Army of the Dead]!)
- Save and use any CD's for the beginning of phase 2 when Ingvar's damage output is higher and he deals shadow damage.
- Melee DPS should have ~9000 health.
- After killing Ingvar the 1st time, he will be resurrected. This cannot be prevented and it marks the beginning of Phase 2. Between the two phases, you cannot eat or drink - Be ready to bandage, [Innervate], click the lightwell, get the tank a new healthstone, etc at this time.
- Melee pets normally would try to attack from behind. However, if the pet is killed frequently by the Smash/Dark Smash, it should be called back when the boss is casting Smash/Dark Smash, or kept by their owner's side.
- Shadowfiend, elementals, and all similar moves, should be used straight away during phase 2.
- Low DPS groups or any group that loses one or two members during the fight will likely see healers and caster go OOM due to the boss's substantial damage. Shadow priests' [Vampiric Touch]/ [Vampiric Embrace] can be unbelievably useful as it helps keep the ranged dpsers life at a manageable level.
Group Composition Tips
- Shadow resistance is extremely helpful for this encounter. Including a class that can provide it should be a top priority.
- More than 1 melee DPS can make for a difficult fight, as melee DPS may be killed by Smash during phase 1, make phase 2 all the more difficult
- Any class that can provide off-healing can greatly ease the burden on the primary healer's mana pool.
- Holy Priests are very helpful for this encounter - lightwell can really make this encounter smoother. Casters, healers, and ranged dps can stay near the lightwell for the duration of the fight, allowing the healer to concentrate on keeping the tank alive.
Normal and Heroic Mode
- Orders to Proto-Drake Riders
- Fight on, or face me!
- Var-jorgg gramalch!
- Slay them all! No excuses! No mercy! No rest!
- Raze every structure! Silence every cry!
- I'll paint my face with your blood!
- My life for the... Death God!
- Annhylde the Caller yells: Ingvar! Your pathetic failure will serve as a warning to all... you are damned! Arise and carry out the master's will!
- Ingvar the Plunderer yells: I return! A second chance to carve your skull!
- Killing a player
- Mjul orm agn gjor!
- I am a warrior born!
- No! I can do... better! I can...