- For the passive bonuses to secondary stats, see Secondary stat attunement.
Instance attunement refers to the process of gaining permanent access to an instance. The term comes from one of the first of such quests created: . Many of the endgame instances originally required you to complete a quest or obtain a certain item to enter. This strategy has largely been phased out, although some instances (particularly select mythic dungeons) still require attunement.
- For a detailed look at attunement to the non-Burning Crusade instances, see Instance attunement (Classic).
- For a detailed look at attunement to the Burning Crusade instances, see Instance attunement (Burning Crusade).
Battle for Azeroth
- Kings' Rest
- Siege of Boralus
The Legion expansion returned the concept of personal attunements to a couple dungeons in the form of lengthy quest-chains. These dungeons were introduced with Mythic difficulty only. Patch 7.2.0 introduced Heroic modes for these dungeons that do not require an attunement to access (Mythic difficulty still does, however).
- The Arcway & Court of Stars - Reach 8000/12000 Honored Reputation with The Nightfallen and complete the quest (This requires significant questing with the Nightfallen faction).
- Return to Karazhan - Complete the attunement quest-chain, starting with . This requires the player to complete the following four dungeons on Mythic difficulty: Halls of Valor, Black Rook Hold, Vault of the Wardens and Assault on Violet Hold.
Heroic mode keys
Previously, to enter the heroic mode version of an Outland instance you must have earned honored reputation status with a specific faction related to that instance. Once honored status is obtained, the keys can simply be purchased from that faction's quartermaster. The currently available instances and their respective factions are listed below. Please note that all party members must have a key to enter the instance in heroic mode.
|Hellfire Citadel||Honor Hold|
|Coilfang Reservoir||Cenarion Expedition|
|Caverns of Time||Keepers of Time|
|Magister's Terrace||Players must complete the quest chain that starts from Exarch Larethor on the Isle of Quel'Danas and require killing the final boss on Normal difficulty.|
Other dungeon keys
|Original Scarlet Monastery instances|
|Upper Blackrock Spire|
There are presently no raid instances that require an attunement in World of Warcraft. However, many former raids previously required an attunement to enter.
Except for Karazhan and the Eye of Eternity, all raid members originally needed to become attuned to enter the following raid instances. Both Molten Core and previously Blackwing Lair provide attunement quests that allow the player to quickly travel to the raid entrance, but these are not required to enter the instances themselves.
- Molten Core - No attunement required as of patch 5.4.0. Attunement quest is still available.
- Onyxia's Lair No attunement required. Attunement quest removed in patch 3.0.2.
- Blackwing Lair - No attunement required as of patch 5.4.0. Attunement quest removed in Patch 6.0.2
- Naxxramas Original Naxxramas removed in patch 3.0.2 (Revamped Naxxramas does not have an attunement). Attunement quests removed in Patch 4.0.3.
- Karazhan No attunement required as of patch 2.4.0. The former attunement questline was removed in Patch 7.1.0.
- Coilfang Reservoir: Serpentshrine Cavern No attunement required as of patch 2.1.2.
- Tempest Keep: The Eye No attunement required as of patch 2.1.2.
- Caverns of Time: Battle for Mount Hyjal No attunement required as of patch 2.4.
- The Black Temple No attunement required as of patch 2.4, but the quest chain still exists.
- The Eye of Eternity No attunement required as of patch 4.2.0.
Certain raid and dungeon bosses could also be unlocked through certain player actions. For example, the last two bosses of Molten Core would only be accessible if at least seven raiders achieved revered reputation with the Hydraxian Waterlords, obtained a specific item from the Waterlords, and brought it with them to the raid. As future expansions are released, prior-expansion bosses are generally unlocked by default and are accessible regardless of party makeup.
For April Fool's 2007, Blizzard released a joke attunement page listing all of the impossible tasks that needed to be accomplished in order to enter the Black Temple. This has been taken in retrospect as foreshadowing the attunements' later removal and the fact that subsequent raids (starting with Sunwell Plateau) lacked the ridiculous attunement requirements that had been introduced for the original Burning Crusade content. Blizzard instead decided that it would be better to make content more accessible for everyone and to make the storyline quests optional for the players who want to do them.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Removed the attunement requirements for Blackwing Lair and Molten Core.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Removed the Keyring and most remaining keys, including Heroic mode keys.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed the key requirements and any associated questlines for them for all classic dungeons.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20):
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Removed the attunement requirement for Onyxia's Lair.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): The Requirement for Heroic Keys has been lowered to Honored.