Intimidating Shout is a level 70 warrior ability. It is an AoE fear effect shout ability which causes the target to become incapacitated for 8 seconds, although any damage will break the effect. It also causes up to 5 additional enemies within 8 yards to flee in fear for 8 seconds.
- Any damage taken by the target will break the effect. The fear affecting the additional enemies is less likely to break upon damage.
- This ability is possibly one of the most dangerous things a warrior can do in an instance, as more often than not feared enemies will end up triggering new enemies, and once the 8 seconds are up, the original enemies will return with help.
- While soloing, it can be useful to escape if things are going badly. Using this, in combination with a , can buy the warrior enough of a head start to run clear of the fight, but this is best done in outdoor environment. In enclosed spaces, such as mines, caves or instances, it usually causes more trouble than it saves.
- In PvP combat, this ability really shines - used in combination with , a single warrior can totally disrupt an enemy front line, allowing supporting ranged and pet classes to take advantage of the ensuing chaos.
- Intimidating Shout can be used on a single target to incapacitate them for 8 seconds. Any damage will break the effect so use Intimidating Shout (preferably while backing out of melee range), target yourself and bandage. You can use about 80% of a bandage this way. Alternatively, use this time to gain the distance necessary for a , generating some rage, bonus damage and a usable root. In PvP, this can also be useful for tricking enemies into using their PvP trinket, wasting its cooldown.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Available to Protection again.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Protection.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now has a 6-second duration in PvP (down from 8 seconds).
- Hotfix (2013-06-04): "Intimidating Shout should now correctly have a range of 8-yards. Additionally, targets affected by the fear effect will no longer receive an increase to their movement speed."
- Hotfix (2012-11-27): "The cooldown of Intimidating Shout has increased to 90 seconds, up from 60 seconds."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer cost Rage. Cooldown reduced from 2 to 1 min.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Cooldown reduced from 3 to 2 minutes.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): The cowering in fear effect will no longer be applied when the target resists this shout. In addition, this shout will now affect a maximum of 5 targets.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Moved to level 22, no longer causes the targeted enemy to run in fear, but will cower in fear. The cowering effect is broken by damage.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Now has a chance to break when the feared target is damaged.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Cooldown reduced to 3 minutes.