- For the Ironforge NPCs, see Ironforge Guard (NPC).
|Base of operations|
|Theater of operations|
The Ironforge Guard are the main domestic military force of the Kingdom of Ironforge. Through this role, they act variously as city guards within the capital of Ironforge, elite bodyguards of the monarch, and a peacekeeping force within the wider Dun Morogh region.
Each member of the guard is equipped with a set of plate armor, a specific attire with an iconic red color and the symbol of a hammer. Under Ironforge's government, Angus Stonehammer serves as captain of the guard. While the main responsibility of the Ironforge Guard appears to lie within the kingdom, members may serve in the armed forces fighting on distant battlefields as part of the Alliance military. Members have also been known to accompany important figures to distant locations in their role.
The Ironforge Guard have historically been involved in resisting any attack on the city by enemy forces, Horde or otherwise. During the Elemental Unrest, when frenzied elementals threatened major cities across Azeroth, the guard helped successfully defend Ironforge from the assault.
Shortly before the Cataclysm, the estranged Princess of Ironforge Moira Thaurissan would return to the city and attempt to seize power, throwing Ironforge into chaos. At this time, the guards were vital in maintaining peace between Moira's Dark Iron clan and the Ironforge dwarves themselves. These events very nearly led to another civil war among the dwarven clans. During these events, a guard was also sent to locate Kurdran Wildhammer and bring him to the rest of the Council of Three Hammers, then guarding the trio when dealing with the Hammer of the High King.
Later, during the Siege of Orgrimmar, a group of guards accompanied Queen-Regent Moira Thaurissan as she pushed through the Underhold. After arriving by Dark Iron Mole Machines, they would suffer heavy casualties to the True Horde's iron stars.
In the early stages of the Burning Legion's third invasion of Azeroth, the Ironforge Guard were deployed throughout Dun Morogh to defend against the Legion Invasions. Alongside other Alliance forces, they were successful in protecting the region.
|Shilah Slabchisel||Special agent||Alive||Wetlands|
Notes & trivia
- When King Magni Bronzebeard was petrified in a ritual leading up to the Cataclysm, three of the Ironforge Guard were stationed near his 'body' in Old Ironforge.
- All of the Ironforge guard in-game are male dwarves. In The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, it's at least implied that there are female guards, some like Aerin having recently been added to King Magni Bronzebeard's elite guard.
- The Forgeguard of the Dark Iron clan wear the same armor as the Ironforge Guard, and likely serve the same role.
- The following wear the same or similar uniform and may be a part of the Guard:
- Ironforge Infantrymen, Dark Iron Forgeguards, Airfield Guards, Ironforge Gryphon Riders, Lunarfall Guards, Veteran Guardsmen, Seasoned Guardsmen, Stormpike Guardsmen, Alliance Vanguards
- Ironforge Brigade
- Derrick Brindlebeard, Archaeologist Adamant Ironheart, Artilleryman Sheldonore, Mithras Ironhill, Rifleman Torrig and Brewmeister Bilger.
- The Thief Catchers are probably a sub-division of the Ironforge Guard.
- Magni Bronzebeard himself had a very similar armor before his revamps.
- The mountaineers and Ironforge cavalrymen may come from the Guard.
- Although he doesn't wear the same uniform, Honor Guard Dunstad is presumably member of the royal guard.
- All members of the Ironforge Guard appear to be part of the Bronzebeard clan, who have ruled the city of Ironforge since the War of the Three Hammers. The guard are likely to have been involved in the Second War, when Ironforge itself was sieged by the Horde.
In the TCG