Seal of Righteousness
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 7.0.3.
|Seal of Righteousness|
- "There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you wield the Light." - Grand Marshal Goldensword
Seal of Righteousness is a Protection and Retribution paladin ability, learned at level 42. Using when Seal of Righteousness is active deals a high amount of Holy damage. A moderate amount of Holy damage is also applied on each weapon swing.
Seal of Righteousness deals additional Holy damage on every swing to a single target. Due to normalization, seal damage over time is a constant independent of weapon speed. What is means is, that a 4.00 speed weapon will deal twice as much damage per hit as a 2.00 speed weapon, but since it swings twice as often, the effective damage over time is the same.
SoR is best used with one-handed weapons, or for Retribution paladins, when fighting multiple enemies because of the cleave bonus. The threat generated by its Holy damage is enhanced by and can thus be used to keep aggro.
Seal of Righteousness is appropriately used when the fight or phase is short or where targets are switched so often that applying DoT stacks again every time would be impractical. Seal of Righteousness is replaced by when it comes to long boss fights.
It is good to remember that a Seal's power always depends on the situation. Skilled Paladins with good situation awareness will switch Seals to adapt to the situation, sometimes several times during a fight if necessary. Good examples of fights like this are Razorscale and Freya in Ulduar.
- Seal of Righteousness is a Common Paladin ability card in the World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game's Drums of War set.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Removed.
- Hotfix (2015-07-10): "Seal of Righteousness should no longer sometimes deal more damage than intended."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): No longer available to Holy paladins.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Now causes melee attacks to deal 9% damage (was 6%) to targets in the area-of-effect.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned. Fills you with Holy Light, causing melee attacks to deal 6% weapon damage to all targets within 8 yards.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Can now be activated by any melee ability, not just single target melee abilities. This adds (the physical component) and to the list of abilities that can activate this seal. In addition, Seal of Righteousness procs can now be critical effects.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): This seal will no longer cause additional chances for weapon procs to trigger.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Has changed significantly.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost and duration reduced. Cooldown added.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): The duration for Seal of Righteousness has increased.