|This article is a PTR Patch 8.2.0 stub. You can help expand it by editing it.|
- This article is about the gnomes that inhabit Mechagon. For the original titan-forged race, see mechagnome.
Junker gnomes or mechagnomes are a race of partially mechanical gnomes that inhabit the island of Mechagon. They span a variety of different types. The higher-caste gnomes live in an advanced society inside a huge vault, where they have dedicated themselves to their ruler King Mechagon and his vision to turn anyone of flesh into more pure robotic parts. In this society, the more robot parts one has, the higher one's social standing is.
However, another group of junker gnomes rejected this and now dwell in the outside Junker Wastes where they are beset by death robots. These junker gnomes have fewer mechanical parts and tend to be partially deteriorating. As the Alliance and Horde arrive on Mechagon, they will befriend the latter group in an effort to break into the mechagnomes' city and stop King Mechagon.
The city of Boralus on Kul Tiras was formerly home to a number of gnomes, but one day they abruptly vanished. To get to the bottom of this, the gnome Parin Tinklocket began investigating the Abandoned Junkheap in Tiragarde Sound, a place containing a large locked vault and various haywire gnomish machines. Though Alliance adventurers helped him survey the area and gather serial plates from the robots, Parin didn't find anything indicating where his fellow gnomes went. He stated that he would send the serial plates to Ironforge and that he would contact the adventurers again if he found anything interesting.
In Rise of Azshara, the vault door will open. Inside, adventurers will find a transmitter using technology the likes of which no one has ever seen, sending a radio signal for help. The gnomes and goblins will jump at the chance to discover where the signal is pointing at and will in turn discover Mechagon. In the Junker Wastes, both the Alliance and Horde will be beset by death robots but also befriend the wastes' junker gnomes, from whom they will learn more about the mechagnomes' culture. Ultimately, the Alliance and Horde will help the junker gnomes break back into their city and fight their way into King Mechagon's palace to face the ruler himself.
Notes and trivia
- At the BlizzCon 2018 World of Warcraft What's Next panel, the names "junker gnome" and "mechagnome" were seemingly used interchangeably to refer to this race, despite the fact that "mechagnome" is already the name of a separate existing race.
- Battle for Azeroth contains a few references to gnomes wanting to turn themselves into machines, possibly serving as foreshadowing for the junker gnomes:
- During the Battle for Azeroth beta, "Junker Gnome Caverns" and "Mechagnome Island" maps were datamined alongside the other island expeditions. Time will tell if it is simply Mechagon or if a junker gnome island expedition is being prepared.
- The description of the Mechanical Prairie Dog pet ("This adorable mass of whirlers, cogs, and sprockets wasn't assembled in Gnomeregan. Where then?") is presumably a reference to Mechagon, since the pet can only be obtained after completing .
- ^ a b c d e f Medievaldragon 2018-11-04. BlizzCon 2018 World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Transcript - Page 4 of 4. Blizzplanet. Retrieved on 2019-04-09.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2018-11-02. World of Warcraft: What's Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-04-09.
- ^ Cork Stuttguard#Quotes
- ^ Marvelous Martini#Quotes
- ^ Squishei 2018-01-25. Battle for Azeroth Datamining - 8.01 Beta Build 25902. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2019-04-09.