|Race||Blood elf (Humanoid)|
|Occupation||Second-in-command and Champion of the Illidari (dependent)|
Kayn Sunfury is a blood elf demon hunter and prominent member of the Illidari. He is a loyal soldier and one of Illidan Stormrage's most trusted lieutenants. Honorable and demanding, as well as a fearless leader and a master strategist, he believes that cooperation and sacrifice are necessary to defeat the Burning Legion. Kayn follows Illidan's ideals to get the job done, no matter the cost.
Kayn is one of two characters player demon hunters can choose to be their second-in-command, the other being Altruis the Sufferer, whose ideals and plans for the Illidari are incompatible with Kayn's own.
Kayn feels greatly betrayed by Altruis the Sufferer, a renegade demon hunter who left Illidan's cause and orchestrated the deaths of many Illidari. For this, he is unwilling to forgive him when they are reunited in the Vault of the Wardens.
The storyline varies depending on the player's decision during . If they choose Kayn as their second-in-command, Altruis will depart, and vice versa. The following describes the storyline for players who choose Kayn. For the Altruis version, see Altruis the Sufferer's article.
Kayn sent Kor'vas Bloodthorn to find the demon hunter to report to him immediately at Krasus' Landing. To find the Twinblades of the Deceiver, he and the demon hunter went to the entrance of the Violet Hold guarded by Warden Alturas to not permit anyone to enter the prison. By Khadgar's trust, Alturas had no choice but to let them in. He told them that the Kirin Tor will not be responsible for any sacrifices taken. Kayn stood guard to let the demon hunter confront an eredar named Taldath the Destroyer to get answers of where Varedis Felsoul is. Eventually, the demon spilled out the information without warning and Kayn told the demon hunter to finish him off. Felsoul Hold in Suramar is where he and the artifact is at and got a bat ready for the demon hunter. Lyana Darksorrow and Illysanna Ravencrest were to accompany the demon hunter regardless of the outcome. Kayn warns the demon hunter that Varedis is a cunning adversary. Upon arriving at Felsoul Hold, the demons spotted the bats and Kayn told them to fly to a landing site quickly. Losing both Darksorrow and Ravencrest, the demon hunter leaped into the fray and punish them for their hubris.
Kayn sent Kor'vas Bloodthorn to find the demon hunter to report to him immediately at Krasus' Landing. To find the Aldrachi Warblades, he said that Archmage Khadgar had something called a . They will die in their master's name as will Caria Felsoul.
Upon returning to the prison world of Mardum to make it their new home, Kayn addresses to the Illidari of the accomplishments of the demon hunter by obtaining the artifact. With the Fel Hammer in their control, they can plan out every aspect of their assault on the Broken Isles.
Kayn was met by the adventurer and Khadgar at Illidari Stand in Azsuna. Surprised and really impressed of the artifact the champion wielded, he told them to assist Allari and Jace as best they can to maintain ground against the demons there. He instructed the champion, Cyana Nightglaive, and Kor'vas Bloodthorn to attack from within the legion camp ahead. Unfortunately with the betrayal of Cyana as an end result, for the Illidari cannot afford to lose even a single demon hunter in their ranks. It was right to put her down and should meet up with the blue dragons that reside at their camp as they can be prove to be a powerful ally in the war against the Burning Legion.
Kayn was the first to become the champion's cause in their campaign. After collecting essences to communicate with their master, it was time to seek out other allies. If Kayn is chosen to lead as their second-in-command, they later go on to recruit the Shade of Akama instead of continuing to talking to Akama. The Fel Hammer then jumped to the Legion world of Niskara to take out the Felsoul siblings. With their mission successful, he announced the demon hunter to slayer and told them that their artifact can awaking great potential when the time came.
Kayn and Altruis were both aboard the Fel Hammer when the Slayer obtained the .
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Vault of the Wardens||100||978,540|
|Azsuna||100 - 110||600,883,380|
Vault of the Wardens
- Quest text
- "An honor, <name>. Of course I will serve as your champion and second-in-command. Could it have been any other way? We have only just begun to move forward with the master's plan, but already, you have made great strides. If we are to defeat the Burning Legion, we must remain vigilant. Any other goal pales in comparison. The fate of everything hangs in the balance. At the end of the day, we will stand victorious... no matter the cost!"
We must eliminate the Legion threat on this ridge so that you can bring the rest of our forces in from the Black Temple.
- Kayn, tell me what you know about Mardum.
- Sargeras safeguarded his keystone on this particular fragment. It's a 'skeleton key', allowing access to any Legion world. It's also the key to Lord Illidan's plan for the Legion's destruction.
- Anything else?
- Illidari Foothold
<Name>, we must take the fight to the Legion here in the volcano. They must be destroyed before we fly up to the Brood Queen's command ship, the Fel Hammer.
Then we'll kill her, take the Sargerite Keystone, and return to the Black Temple to slay the invaders.
No small feat, but I think we'll manage.
- The Fel Hammer, starting experience
We have accomplished the impossible. I must admit, I had my doubts about your leadership, <name>. But no more.
Let's get back and put an end to the attack on the Black Temple. Lord Illidan awaits.
- Vault of the Wardens
- I am suspicious of Altruis's motivations, but for now, we have the same goal - getting out of this prison.
- Why don't you get along with Altruis?
- Many years ago, during Lord Illidan's time at the Black Temple, Altruis the Sufferer split from our leader and the demon hunters.
- Believing that Illidan had become the very thing he hated, Altruis then began a sinister campaign to orchestrate our master's downfall.
- He was instrumental in the deaths of four of our comrades - Alandien, Theras, Netharel, and Varedis.
- These were our teachers, our brothers and sisters.
- For that, I cannot forgive him.
- The Fel Hammer, Class Hall
You have accomplished a great deal in bringing us all together here. With our renewed resolve and carefully considered plans, I have no doubt that we can win this war.
When this is all over, the Burning Legion will no longer be a threat and all of our sacrifices will have been worth it.
- Dalaran, artifact acquisition
We are indomitable. We are Illidari.
- Illidari Stand, non-demon hunter
The Burning Legion have taken Faronaar. I have a plan to contain and crush them before they overrun all of Azsuna.
We could use your assistance in doing so.
- Illidari Stand, demon hunter
<Name>, it is good that you are here. The matron mother has been providing our forces with transport from the Fel Hammer as we attempt to shore up our defenses here.
The Burning Legion have taken Faronaar across the isthmus. I have a plan to contain and crush them before they overrun all of Azsuna.
I could use your help in leading the Illidari to victory.
Please add any available information to this section.
- Death to our enemies!
- Never surrender!
- The Illidari cannot be stopped!
Notes and trivia
- Kayn is treated as the default Illidari commander for non-demon hunters, in that it is him, instead of Altruis, that non-demon hunters interact with on the Broken Isles.
- As of BlizzCon 2016, 73% of demon hunter player characters had chosen Kayn as their right-hand-man, with 27% choosing Altruis.
- His surname is also the name of the Sunfury, an elite group of blood elf soldiers, and Sunfury Spire, the palace of Silvermoon City. It is unknown if there is any meaning behind this.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Based on an internal spell name, it appears that his name was initially planned to be "Kayn Shadowfury".
- Kayn appears as a legendary card for the demon hunter class in the Ashes of Outland expansion for Hearthstone. His flavor text reads: "Armor and heals may slow my zeal, but fel and glaives excite me!"
- Kayn is voiced by Dave B. Mitchell.
During the escape from the Vault of the Wardens, Kayn mentions to Maiev Shadowsong that he, too, has felt betrayal by his own kind. While presumably referring to Altruis' betrayal of the Illidari, it could also be a nod to Kael'thas Sunstrider's defection from the Illidari to the Burning Legion, which Illidan learned of some time before the siege of the Black Temple.
Kayn and Altruis fighting in the Warden's Court.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.