Kelp'thar Forest is the first zone in the undersea region known as Vashj'ir. It is one of the two starting zone for all players level 80 and higher (the other is Mount Hyjal). The forest features a vast array of aquatic life and plants. There is a mixed focus between the main quests involving the naga and auxiliary quests introducing players to Vashj'ir's new under water mechanics. The most noticeable feature of the Kelp'thar Forest is found along the southern edge of the zone in what is known as the Lightless Reaches.
Kelp'thar Forest does not have much of a history when it was far below the ocean's surface, at least no known recorded history.
- From Bladefist Bay in Durotar, during  Call of Duty. After that a portal at the Western Earthshrine can be used, until players discovery Legion's Rest in the Shimmering Expanse.
- After that from Sandy Beach or Legion's Rest in Shimmering Expanse.
- From Stormwind Harbor in Stormwind City, during  Call of Duty. After that a portal at the Eastern Earthshrine can be used, until players discovery Tranquil Wash in the Shimmering Expanse.
- After that from Sandy Beach or Tranquil Wash in Shimmering Expanse.
The Kelp'thar Forest is the smallest of the three underwater zones of Vashj'ir and found at the northeastern most part. Kelp'thar is separated by the Shimmering Expanse by the Lightless Reaches, a large chasm, much in the same way land zones are separated by mountains.
The forest's most notable features would be the seaweed forests and overly sized shells found throughout the region. There exists a few ruins, but not as many as would be found in the Shimmering Expanse. The region mostly consists of sunken vessels that were struck down by a sea monster while heading to the newly risen landmass. The most common wildlife includes sea turtles, sharks, crabs, and other fish life.
Maps and subregions
- Main article: Kelp'thar Forest NPCs
- Main article: Kelp'thar Forest quests
- During the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta this area was known was Kelp Forest.
- Kelp'thar Forest might best suit those who do not plan on spending gold for additional riding skill, but instead get the free [Vashj'ir Seahorse] mount which makes it considerably faster to level in Kelp'thar Forest, Shimmering Expanse and Abyssal Depths.