- Not to be confused with Kormok.
|Affiliation(s)||Iron Horde (Burning Legion)|
Kormrok is a boss in the Hellfire Citadel in Tanaan Jungle. The fight revolves around Kormrok empowering a different set of abilities based on which pool he leaps into: Green for earth/fel, Orange for fire, and purple for water/shadow.
As ancient as Draenor itself, Kormrok once ruled Gorgrond, the creatures of the land slinking away from the giant magnaron's destructive fury. But then the Iron Horde came, trapping the behemoth and attempting to break his will. They were entirely unsuccessful... that is, until the rise of Gul'dan, and the fel power that Kormrok could not resist.
In general, the lower floor of Hellfire Citadel reflects the Iron Horde as it was before the influence of Gul’dan, whereas the upper reaches reflect the Shadow Council and the Legion more directly. Alongside siege machinery, the massive beasts of Gorgrond were the other lynchpin of the Iron Horde’s invasion force, so it should come as little surprise that Gul’dan would seek to corrupt and empower them with fel energies.
Kormrok periodically jumps to the nearest fel pool of energy, empowering one of his abilities for a short duration depending on which pool he entered.
- Kill Crushing Hands as quickly as possible.
- Run away from any tanks affected by Fiery Burst.
- Trigger Fiery Runes before they explode.
- Spread out during Pound.
- Pound inflicts heavy damage to the entire raid, compounded if players do not spread out.
- Move away from any tanks affected by Fiery Burst.
- Trigger Fiery Runes before they explode.
- Move Kormrok near the pool to which you want him to Leap.
- Spread out during Pound.
- Leap — Kormrok leaps through the air and then splashes down in the nearest pool. Kormrok will not Leap to a pool that he has Leapt into recently. On Mythic Difficulty, residue is sent out from the pool that Kormrok jumped into.
- Shadow Energy — Kormrok absorbs Shadow Energy, empowering the next 4 uses of his Fel Outpouring ability.
- Shadow Energy — Kormrok absorbs Shadow Energy, allowing him to use his Fel Outpouring ability 3 times.
- Explosive Energy — Kormrok absorbs Explosive Energy, empowering the next 4 uses of his Explosive Runes ability.
- Explosive Energy — Kormrok absorbs Explosive Energy, allowing him to use his Explosive Runes ability 3 times.
- Foul Energy — Kormrok absorbs Foul Energy, empowering the next 4 uses of his Grasping Hands ability.
- Foul Energy — Kormrok absorbs Foul Energy, allowing him to use his Grasping Hands ability 3 times.
- Splash — Liquid in the pool splashes out onto the ground, leaving behind residue that will damage players who stand in the residue. Players can absorb the initial splashes, keeping the ground beneath them clear from residue.
- Pound — Kormrok slams the ground repeatedly, creating shockwaves under all players that inflict 41208 to 47892 Physical damage to all enemies within 4 yards every second.
- Fel Outpouring — Kormrok slams the ground, causing the Shadowy Pool to spew forth globules. Victims caught in the path of the globules suffer 71928 to 83592 Shadow damage. When empowered, this abiliity causes all three pools to send out globules.
- Explosive Runes — The caster creates Explosive Runes on the ground. If these runes aren't triggered within 15 sec they will explode, inflicting 263250 to 276750 Fire damage to all enemies. Triggering the rune results in a smaller explosion, inflicting 202500 Fire damage to the triggering player. When empowered, triggering the rune causes it to try and reform nearby. Explosive Runes will not reform on top of an existing Explosive Rune, nor will they reform if they are the last Explosive Rune active.
- Grasping Hands — Kormrok summons several stone hands under the feet of his enemies, inflicting 50000 Physical damage to all enemies with 4 yards of the victim. These hands hold the victim in place until they are killed. While held, the victim suffers 60750 Physical damage every 3 sec. When empowered, Dragging Hands that pull players toward the closest pool are summoned instead.
Kormrok will use different abilities against his current tank target based on the last pool he leapt into. Getting hit with any of these abilities afflicts the victim with Fel Touch.
- Swat — Kormrok knocks the target backwards, inflicting 231250 to 268750 Shadow damage. When the victim lands, they suffer damage inversely proportional to the distance they traveled. The victim is afflicted with Fel Touch.
- Explosive Burst — Kormrok ignites the ground beneath the target's feet and stuns them. After 10 sec. the ground explodes, inflicting 243750 to 256250 Fire damage to all players within 40 yards. The victim is afflicted with Fel Touch.
- Foul Crush — Kormrok summons a Foul Hand underneath the target. The victim is immediately grabbed and crushed for 60000 Physical damage every 1 sec. until the hand is destroyed. The victim is afflicted with Fel Touch.
- Fel Touch — The victim is afflicted with Fel energies, increasing the magical damage they take by 50%.
- Enrage — Kormrok enrages, gaining 30% haste. Kormrok will use his abilities faster while enraged.
The fight requires 2 tanks due to the Fel Touch ability he places on tanks whenever he uses one of his Mutated Hatred abilities. should be used as soon as Kormrok completes his first leap. The boss will use the same three abilities (Grasping Hands, Explosive Runes, and Fel Outpouring) throughout the encounter, but once he jumps into the pool that corresponds to that ability ,(Green=GH Orange=ER Purple=FO) that ability will become temporarily empowered. The normal abilities are usually a mere hindrance, but the empowered abilities are all deadly. The raid should decide before the fight starts which order of pools they will do, as Kormrok jumps into the pool he is close to, but not one he has jumped into recently. This means the raid will go through his full set of empowerments before the pools reset.
The raid must decide beforehand which order they want to do the pools in. As Empowered Explosive Runes is the ability most likely to cause a wipe due to the unorthodox mechanic of pushing the runes, many raids choose to start with orange as it gives immediate practice with one of the fight's hardest mechanics.
Explosive Runes will cause several glowing red runes to spawn around the arena. If left unattended, they will grow and explode, causing massive fire damage to the raid Decide on a team of about 5 players beforehand to handle these runes by simply stepping on them. Grasping Hands causes hands of earth to reach out and grab the players, hurting them over time and keeping them immobile. Once the hands come up, they also inflict heavy damage to those within 4 yards of those inflicted. For this reason, the raid should stack loosely around a player marked with a raid marker, keeping 4 yards apart: far enough to avoid the initial damage, but close enough for AOE to hit most of the hands. Fel Outpouring will cause small waves of water to pour slowly from the purple pool toward the raid. They are slow enough to dodge without much trouble unless Grasping Hands are still up. Lastly, Kormrok will use Pound to cause raid-wide AOE damage that is amplified if raiders are within 6 yards, so spread out during Pound. Pound is Kormrok's only offensive ability that is not affected or empowered and is used throughout the fight.
The orange pool grants Explosive Burst and Empowered Explosive Runes. Tanks who are hit with Explosive Burst will become immobile and radiate fire damage to those close by. The other tank should pull the boss away and the raid should stay away from the afflicted tank until the debuff wears off. Empowered Explosive Runes will spawn and do damage the same as normal runes, but with the twist that, once a rune is stepped on, it will respawn a distance away where the character who stepped on it was facing. Ergo, when a character steps on the runes, they are effectively pushing it where they are facing. All of the runes must be pushed to the center of the arena, as once they are all bunched together, they cannot respawn on top of each other. The rune team should ideally consist of players with speed buffs who can take care of the runes quickly before they explode, before returning to the boss.
The green pool grants Crushing Hand and changes Grasping Hands to Dragging Hands. Crushing Hand will hit the tank with a Grasping Hand with more HP and does more damage over time. Kill it to free the tank, but Dragging Hands take priority. These hands will grab all raid members (aside from the tank currently fighting Kormrok) and begin dragging them towards the pool closest to them. For simplicity's sake, stack up closer to the green pool than the others, and destroy the hands, as one can still attack and cast while being dragged. Channeled AOE like will be less reliable here due to the hands moving.
The purple pool will grant Swat and Empowered Fel Outpouring. Swat will fling Kormrok's current tank very far backwards, which can lead to a tank's death if they are not back against a wall and they land in a pool. There are 2 ways a group can handle this. They can stack against the wall of stone in between the purple and green pools, allowing quick tank-swapping and minimal movement. Alternatively, they can stand against the wall of iron between the purple and orange pools, allowing the raid more time and room to dodge the Empowered Fel Outpouring. Empowered Fel Outpouring will send larger waves from all three pools toward the center of the arena, though they will keep moving until they hit a wall. Standing near the center of the arena is not recommended, as you will need to be dodging all three pool's waves at once, while standing near one of the walls sees only one or two pool's waves coming at you.
- None escape!
- Grasping Hands
- Crushed by earth!
- Explosive Runes
- Burn to Ashes!
- Fel Outpouring
- Mutating Hatred
- Killed a player
- I... am... unmade...
Please add any available information to this section.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2015-07-16): "Kormrok's berserk timer should now reset correctly after an attempt."
- Hotfix (2015-07-02): "Kormrok no longer quickly despawns after being killed."
- Hotfix (2015-06-24): "Kormrok's Empowered Explosive Runes that have reformed inside the Foul Pool should now correctly still be able to deal damage to the entire raid."
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Added.