|This article concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
- This article is about the island itself. For the human kingdom, see Kul Tiras (kingdom).
|Level: 110 - 120|
|Kul Tiras in the Battle for Azeroth trailer.|
Kul Tiras (also spelled as Kul'Tiras, pronounced KOOL-teer-AHS) is an island once located south-west of Lordaeron and west of Khaz Modan. During the Cataclysm, the island was shifted out to sea by shifting tectonic plates.
2,700 years BDP, after the Troll Wars, the humans of Arathor traveled to various regions. Some human sailors left Gilneas and found a large island full of metal ores and other resources. The isle was located south of Gilneas, west of Khaz Modan and in between Stormwind and Lordaeron. Following their arrival in Kul Tiras, the human colonists attacked the native Drust, leading the large and hardy race who lived in Drustvar to extinction.
The sailors founded a mighty maritime outpost named Kul Tiras and in time it became a city-state that developed a thriving economy based on fishing and exports. Over the years mighty fleets of merchant vessels were built and they sailed throughout the seas in search of exotic goods to trade and sell.
Battle for AzerothThis section concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth.
Originally, it was a large island off Khaz Modan's west coast, between the continents of Azeroth and Lordaeron. Crestfall and Zul'dare were also near the island. When broke free, the island was shifted out to sea by shifting tectonic plates. It has since moved somewhat northwest, now west of Tol Barad and Lordaeron and slightly southeast of the Broken Isles.
Kul Tiras is separated into three zones. All zones are scaled to the player's level.
- Main article: Instances by continent
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
Kul Tiras is a large island off Khaz Modan's west coast, between Azeroth and Lordaeron. The unsettled areas are covered with rolling hills and sparse evergreen woods. Kul Tiras is temperate, though subject to sudden ocean storms. The nation is also very windy, which makes zeppelin rides perilous. Nearby Crestfall, immediately off the northeast coast, and farther Tol Barad, in the same direction, are also parts of Kul Tiras. Wild game includes a few forest creatures such as foxes, squirrels and the occasional black bear. Kul Tiras' shores possess good fishing and provide ample seafood. There is excellent lobster and king crab in Kul Tiras.
Notes & trivia
- Kul Tiras appeared as an area with boat lanes in very early concept maps for World of Warcraft. The Undermine map contains a boat path to/from Kul Tiras.
- Kul Tiras appears on the maps in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Lands of Conflict, Lands of Mystery, and the World of Warcraft: Game Manual. It mostly kept the same shape. Blame the Cataclysm.
Kul Tiras' position in Warcraft II.
Kul Tiras during the Invasion of Draenor.
Kul Tiras can be seen in an early WoW map.
Kul Tiras' position in World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1.
Kul Tiras in Warcraft film universe.
- Concept art
- Kul Tiras may have been mentioned in Blood of Our Fathers as said that 's homeland burned in slag. It could be a reference to the breaking of Kul Tiras' tectonic plates that caused it to move northwest.
- Since previous maps show the island as a whole and with different shape, the Battle for Azeroth map portrays the island differently — divided by a river into three areas. It is possible that the river and shape changes are a result of the Cataclysm that moved the island.
- ^ Admiral Barean Westwind plaque
- ^ Kul'Tiras Marines faction
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal mission briefings. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=hTjGagw64KI
- ^ Ask CDev Answers - Round 1
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1
- ^ 2017-05-11, BlizzCon 2017 Jeremy Feasel Interview – World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-11-05
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 133
- ^ The Seven Kingdoms
- ^ 2017-11-04, BlizzCon 2017 World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, retrieved on 2017-11-05
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 142
- ^ Ask CDev#Ask CDev Answers - Round 1
- ^ Cycle of Hatred, chapter 21
- ^ Lands of Conflict, page 101
- ^ File:ABE - Lordaeron and Khaz Modan map.jpg