|This article concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth and is subject to change at any time as development progresses.
This article should only contain officially released content, such as beta and press release content. See Wowpedia's policy on posting unreleased content.
- This article is about the island itself. For the human kingdom, see Kul Tiras (kingdom).
|Level: 110 - 120|
Kul Tiras (also spelled as Kul'Tiras, pronounced KOOL-teer-AHS) is an island chain in the Great Sea, located west of the Eastern Kingdoms. The islands are home to the human nation of the same name, having originally been discovered and colonized by Gilnean sailors from the mainland Eastern Kingdoms.
Kul Tiras has played host to a mighty naval tradition ever since its first settling by humans. During the Second War, it was the largest maritime force in Azeroth and a major center for the war effort against the Orcish Horde. Since then, and with the eventual disintegration of the Alliance of Lordaeron, Kul Tiras became significantly more isolated and less involved on the world stage.
Kul Tiras would once again return to prominence at the time of the Battle for Azeroth, when the Alliance ventured to the island to enlist the aid of the potent Kul Tiran navy in their new war against the Horde.
2,700 years BDP, after the Troll Wars, the humans of Arathor traveled to various regions. Some human sailors left Gilneas and found a large island full of metal ores and other resources. Following their arrival in Kul Tiras, the human colonists were attacked by the native Drust. The war that ensued led the large and hardy race, who lived in Drustvar, to extinction.
The sailors then founded a mighty maritime outpost named Kul Tiras and in time it became a city-state that developed a thriving economy based on fishing and exports. Over the years, mighty fleets of merchant vessels were built and they sailed throughout the seas in search of exotic goods to trade and sell.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content exclusive to Battle for Azeroth.
Kul Tiras is located west of Baradin Bay and Dun Morogh, slightly southeast of the Broken Isles. In previous maps Kul Tiras was located in or adjacent to Baradin Bay, along with Zul'dare near the island. To explain its absence in Cataclysm, it was stated that the island was pushed out to sea by the Cataclysm. However Chronicle Volume 3 retroactively placed Kul Tiras near the Broken Isles, in its Battle for Azeroth location, even before the Cataclysm.
Kul Tiras is separated into three zones. All zones are scaled to the player's level.
- Main article: Instances by continent
In the RPG
Kul Tiras is a large island off Khaz Modan's west coast, between Azeroth and Lordaeron, though is considered a land of this last continent. The unsettled areas are covered with rolling hills and sparse evergreen woods. Kul Tiras is temperate, though subject to sudden ocean storms. The nation is also very windy, which makes zeppelin rides perilous. Kul Tiras' greatest asset is also its greatest danger. Murlocs and naga crawl from the sea to torment sailors and fishermen. Pirates roam the waters preying on merchant vessels.
The nearby islands of Crestfall, immediately off the northeast coast, and farther Tol Barad, in the same direction, are also parts of Kul Tiras. Wild game includes a few forest creatures such as foxes, squirrels and the occasional black bear. Kul Tiras' shores possess good fishing and provide ample seafood. There is excellent lobster and king crab in Kul Tiras.
Notes & trivia
- Since Kul Tiras retroactively had its location changed, the current locations of the islands of Crestfall and Zul'dare which were near Kul Tiras are unknown.
- Kul Tiras appeared as an area with boat lanes in very early concept maps for World of Warcraft. The Undermine map contains a boat path to/from Kul Tiras.
Kul Tiras may have been mentioned in Blood of Our Fathers as Aldous Lescovar said that Jaina Proudmoore's homeland burned in slag. It could be a reference to the breaking of Kul Tiras' tectonic plates that caused it to move northwest.
Kul Tiras during the Invasion of Draenor.
Kul Tiras' position in Chronicle Volume 1.
Kul Tiras in the Warcraft film universe.
Map of Kul Tiras shown at BlizzCon 2017.
Kul Tiras in the Battle for Azeroth trailer.
- Concept art
Kul Tiras can be seen in an early World of Warcraft concept map.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.
- ^ Admiral Barean Westwind plaque
- ^ Kul'Tiras Marines faction
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal mission briefings. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=hTjGagw64KI
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1
- ^ 2017-05-11, BlizzCon 2017 Jeremy Feasel Interview – World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-11-05
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 133
- ^ The Seven Kingdoms
- ^ 2017-11-04,BlizzCon 2017 World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, retrieved on 2017-11-05
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 142
- ^ File:Chron3 map of Azeroth after the Cataclysm.jpg
- ^ Ask CDev Answers - Round 1
- ^ File:Chronicle3 Azeroth map.jpg
- ^ Cycle of Hatred, chapter 21
- ^ a b Lands of Conflict, pg. 101
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 102
- ^ File:ABE - Lordaeron and Khaz Modan map.jpg