Concept art of a kyrian Ascended
|Faction/Affiliation||Kyrian Covenant; Forsworn; Mawsworn|
|Character classes||Aspirant, Ascended, Acolyte, Bearer, Disciple, Watcher|
|Racial leader(s)||Kyrestia the Firstborne|
The steadfast kyrian (sometimes pluralized as kyrians) of Bastion are one of the Covenants in the Shadowlands. They are angelic soul guides whose discipline and duty compels them to safeguard souls from the mortal realm as they pass into the Shadowlands. They are messengers, couriers, and some of the purest souls in the realm of death. They are the forebears of the Val'kyr, the spirit healers, and more.
- 1 Background
- 2 History
- 3 Notable
- 4 Notes and trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Those who have lived a life of service are drawn to Bastion to assumed the highest duty of all — carrying the souls to the Shadowlands. Amongst Bastion's gleaming spires and sweeping vistas await challenges to test the mettle of the steadfast kyrians.
The souls sent to Bastion by the Arbiter are ones that have been deemed noble enough and who felt a calling to some form of service in life. The noble kyrian shepherd the souls of the dead to Oribos so that they can be judged by the impassive Arbiter before being sent to their final destinations.
The origins of our Aspirants are diverse. but they are united in singular purpose here in Bastion: to prove worthy and Ascend so other souls may be carried by their wings.
Fresh souls who arrive in Bastion become wingless Kyrian Aspirants, who spend eons training, meditating, and reflecting on themselves through combat and other means to shed their burdens. Anima-fueled automatons called Centurions are responsible for drilling Aspirants in meditative combat. As kyrian shed the burdens of their past lives, physical manifestations of their tormented thoughts are expelled from their bodies. The kyrian must strike these manifestations down in order to cleanse themselves and reach ascendance. Within the Aspirant's Crucible, Aspirants go through a final rite in the Chamber of First Reflection that lets others know they are ready to begin the Five Rites. The memories of other worlds and all kyrians are kept within the Eonian Archives, also known as the Temple of Wisdom, where the former are processed upon arrival into Bastion but the memories of Kyrians are collected in the Mnemonic Locus, to be observed within the Walk of Recollection. The memories of the Archon, Paragons, and Hands are seemingly only viewed in the Vault of the Archon.
Aspirants venture through five temples and learn their virtues: Purity, Courage, Humility, Wisdom, and Loyalty. This journey known as the Five Rites may encompass eons. When aspirants are ready, they will ascend. Kyrestia awaits aspirants at the end of this long road, for it is she who grants aspirants the gift of flight and charges kyrian with their most sacred task. The final step for an aspirant to ascend is to travel to the living world and ferry their first soul.
It is our Ascended [sic] arms that carry the dead from their mortal forms. Our mission is one to service -- carrying souls to Oribos and placing them before the Arbiter.
The Aspirants who surpass their trials join a higher calling beside Kyrestia the Firstborne, first among the kyrian, earning their wings and joining the ranks of the Ascended. At this point, they become ready for an eternity of service as a spirit healer, or one of a couple of other paths.
Spirit Healers are true kyrian called Watchers whose role is to eternally evaluate souls. If the Watchers deem the soul ready, they will call forth a kyrian Bearer to come and bring their soul to the Shadowlands. If they aren't ready, the Watchers return them to life.
The Watchers linger at the edge of the Veil and greet mortal souls into the Shadowlands, and are able to weight that soul by peering into its existence and judge whether it is their time. This burdens the Watcher with that soul's memories, and thus see and know things that weigh heavy in their mind; this role is only for the strong of heart who can endure with the Purpose in mind at all times. The Kyrian will know souls, and their deeds, with a gaze of compassion.
The Bearers perform the vital task of bearing souls across the Veil to Oribos. They see countless worlds beyond the Shadowlands and encounter beings of all shapes and sizes that will be carried to Oribos to serve the Purpose.
Collectors are the Ascended who alongside the Stewards maintain the realm and contribute to all of Bastion's great works. They are responsible for the collection and ordering of anima in Bastion. There are many Collectors, but no two are the same. A Collector may take the form of a Forgelite, or perhaps a scholar. They craft armor, furnishings, carve statues, build fantastic works of architecture, and write our many stories and songs. They weave masterful works from anima itself. They are great craftsmen and musicians. A Collector will, over the course of their eternity, dedicate themselves to honing their skill and perfecting the arts of their choice. Collectors are based in the Terrace of the Collectors and the Eternal Forge.
Paragons and Hands
Each of the five temples is presided over by a Paragon. These ancient beings demonstrate the ultimate expression of their respective virtue, and are responsible for the care and training of all aspirants that enter their domain. Each is bolstered by their chosen Hand, selected for their excellence in service to their temple.
Determination is the key to inspiring others to follow. Faithless are those who quit the field when the way ahead becomes darkest.
Many of the ascended who once served Bastion have become Forsworn and have wholly turned against all that the kyrian stand for.
While kyrian aspirants had to wait patiently during the anima drought for their overdue ascension, the Forsworn have been unafraid to grant their faithful wings.
Please add any available information to this section.
As souls plunge into the Maw and upheaval rocks the Shadowlands, scores of aspiring kyrian find themselves unable to continue their journey to ascension. Their numbers are now dwindling, and their duty to ferry souls to eternity is in jeopardy.
After Bolvar's defeat by Sylvanas and the shattering of the veil between the Shadowlands and Azeroth, Mawsworn kyrian entered Azeroth and took king Anduin and other leaders of Azeroth to the Maw. The Scourge and the Cult of the Damned are emboldened and are made new minions of The Jailer by a message brought by Herald Dalora. Mawsworn Soulbearers raise undead bosses in Icecrown.
A schism is torn in the ranks of the kyrian by The Jailer's schemes. Devos fell into rebellion after being overwhelmed by doubt from Uther's troubling past, she listened to the Jailer's words and is aided in her rebellion by the darkest powers of the Shadowlands. She has the goal of the destruction of the Archon and for the Forsworn to forge a new path for Bastion.
The Mawsworn hold Forsworn captive inside Perdition Hold in the Maw, transforming them against their will. Normal kyrian are drowned in Gorgoa: River of Souls by Helya until they break and join the Mawsworn's ranks.
Paragons and Hands
- Chyrus <Paragon of Humility>
- Voitha <Hand of Humility>
- Devos <Paragon of Loyalty>
- Lysonia <Hand of Loyalty>
- Thenios <Paragon of Wisdom>
- Arios Riftbearer <Hand of Wisdom>
- Vesiphone <Paragon of Purity>
- Eridia <Hand of Purity>
- Xandria <Paragon of Courage>
Notes and trivia
- Kyrian use the female vrykul animation rig.
- It was previously implied that the spirit healers were Val'kyr who split from the Valarjar after Odyn and his forces were imprisoned within the Halls of Valor by Helya, and decided to disappear into the Shadowlands. The few Val'kyr who still had nobility in their souls dedicated themselves to watching over the physical world, and from within the Shadowlands, they would occasionally guide the dead back to the realm of the living.
- The name "kyrian" is likely derived from two sources: the second part of val'kyr, itself derived from valkyrie, from Old Norse valkyrja, where kyrja means "chooser", and the Greek word κύριος (Romanized as kýrios), meaning "powerful one" or "lord" and commonly used to refer to the Christian God.
- Holy Priests can temporarily become Spirit Healers (and therefore Kyrian) with the ability.
- Kyrian cease to be should they perish in battle in Bastion, there is much power within Bastion itself that can call forth echoes of former kyrian brothers and sisters. These memories wander the roads. At times, they take on some purpose they served in their eternity in Bastion--crafting goods, guarding sacred grounds, and the like. Forgelite Selene's lyre will with ancient melody dispel the memories, and in the process charge it with the residual energy of realm of Bastion.
- Concept art
- ^ a b c d e f g h Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. Shadowlands Preview: Bastion and the Kyrian Covenant. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Press Center
- ^ a b c d Blizzard Entertainment. Kyrian - Covenants - Shadowlands. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ Aiding Bastion (Necrolord)
- ^ BlizzCon 2019 World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Deep Dive Panel
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. World of Warcraft: What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ a b c d Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-01. BlizzCon 2019 - World of Warcraft: What's Next. Retrieved on 2019-11-02.
- ^ worldofwarcraft.com - Shadowlands
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, pg. 40
- ^ Journey Toward Ascension: The Five Rites
- ^ The Archon
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, pg. 60
- ^ a b A deep dive into Bastion, the Shadowlands realm of selflessness and greater purpose
- ^ Roles In Bastion: The Watcher
- ^ Roles In Bastion: The Bearer
- ^ Roles In Bastion: The Collector
- ^ The Paragons
- ^ The Art of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, pg. 53
- ^ Kin-Tara
- ^ Shadowlands: Dark Abduction
- ^ Devos, Paragon of Doubt
- ^ Spires of Ascension#Script
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 57