Laj is the fourth boss of the Botanica wing of the Tempest Keep instance in Netherstorm. It resembles a Lasher. Laj is located in the second to last large room on the map, just before the final boss' room.
The naaru gathered samples of unusual wildlife from across Outland. Their safeguards were destroyed when the Botanica was invaded, leaving some of the most dangerous specimens free to roam.
Upon entering the room, a fight can be seen in the center. Feel free to watch, but it is not advised that you get involved if at all possible. The battle can be skipped to proceed onto the final boss, but it may require a or a on the NPC closest to the door, as well as wall-hugging.
- Allergic Reaction — Laj diseases a player, increasing their Magic damage taken by 500 and inflicting Nature damage every 3 seconds for 18 sec. The diseased player has a chance of spreading their illness to their nearest ally.
- Thrash — Laj thrashes at his current target, attacking 2 additional times.
- Elemental Shift — Laj periodically shifts elements, increasing his resistance to that element and decreasing his resistance to the opposing element.
- Arcane Alignment — Laj increase his resistance to Arcane and decreases his resistance to Shadow.
- Fire Alignment — Laj increase his resistance to Fire and decreases his resistance to Frost.
- Frost Alignment — Laj increase his resistance to Frost and decreases his resistance to Fire.
- Nature Alignment — Laj increase his resistance to Nature and decreases his resistance to Shadow.
- Shadow Alignment — Laj increase his resistance to Shadow and decreases his resistance to Arcane.
- Genesis — Laj teleports to its platform and summons two thorn sprouts to defend it.
- Thorn Missiles — Thorn Lashers launch thorns at a player, inflicting Physical damage every second for 5 sec.
- Mind Flay — Thorn Flayers inflict Shadow damage to a player every second for 4 sec, reducing their movement speed by 50%.
An ideal group for this fight is 2 ranged DPS, 1 melee DPS, 1 healer, 1 tank. At least one player should be able to cleanse diseases.
Laj periodically spawns two lasher adds and teleports to his original position on top of the platform, thus he should be tanked where he spawns. Assign one ranged DPS to kill each spawn and continue business as usual on Laj. The spawns can be of two different types: one uses a type attack, another will rapidly throw thorns. All of their attacks deal relatively large amounts of damage. They are vulnerable to both banish and fear, and the spawns are also vulnerable to rogue stuns/incapacitates (Gouge/Cheap Shot/Kidney Shot).
Laj puts the Allergic Reaction disease on the tank that should be cleansed immediately, because it increases the damage that the tank takes. Laj will also randomly change color. When he does this, he will be resistant to certain types of magic (just like the mobs on both sides of the Botanist). The following are the colors/resistances he can change to:
- Blue (Frost Resistant)
- Red (Fire Resistant)
- Green (Nature Resistant)
- Black (Shadow Resistant)
- White (Arcane Resistant)
There are no new abilities or strategies on heroic mode. The boss does more damage and execution is more important, but the strategy is essentially the same.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.