- Not to be confused with Layer.
Layering is a game design tool that prevents player overcrowding in outdoor areas of World of Warcraft: Classic. It is effectively the same as sharding, but covers the entire outdoor world of a realm.
- Players can only see other players on the same layer.
- Each layer has its own set of NPCs. As such, rare NPCs may respawn at different times on different layers.
- Each layer has its own set of objects such as herbs and mining nodes.
- Patch 1.13.2 (2019-08-26): Added.
- ^ Wowhead - Blizzard Clears Up Layering Tech Misconceptions in Classic WoW
- ^ Anshlun 2019-05-14. Layering in Classic WoW. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2019-05-15.
- ^ perculia 2019-08-21. Blizzard Clears Up Layering Tech Misconceptions in Classic WoW. Wowhead. Retrieved on 2019-08-22.
- ^ Wowhead - All Realms Down to a Single Layer in Classic WoW