Level 19 rogue twinking guide
So you want to make a level 19 rogue twink? Well, it's not going to be easy and it's not going to be fun (until it's done that is), and it is most certainly not going to be cheap.
First things first; selecting your race. For Horde your choices are orcs, trolls, Forsaken, and blood elves. For the Alliance you have the choice of gnomes, night elves, dwarves, and humans. Choose carefully because you will be spending A LOT of time and money on this character. You may want to consider the racials or the starting stats, or like me, just pick on looks alone. You can find all the racial skills and starting attributes on the race page of your choice.
- of the Bandit = +5 Agility +5 Stamina +10 Attack Power(BoP); Lucky bag from doing random instance
- of the Monkey = +6 Agility +6 Stamina(BoP); Lucky bag from doing random instance
- (BoE); Leatherworking Pattern (Quest reward from ).
- (BoP); Dropped by Lady Anacondra in the Wailing Caverns.
- (BoE); Dropped by Captain Greenskin in Deadmines.
- ; Quest reward from
- ; Engineering schematic (Vendor).
- ; Gnomes only.
- Main Hand
As of patch 3.1.0 Head Enchants have a level requirement of 50
As of patch 3.1.0 Shoulder Enchants have a level requirement depending on enchant and no known shoulder enchants currently are low enough level.
As of patch 3.0.2 you can't get 12 dodge chance on cloak as it now requires a level 35 or higher item. (Billy Murlo here! I play on the Server Lethon, if that matters, but I thought I'd add this! I have Sentry Cloak on my Lv19 Rogue named 'Murlo'. It has a functioning +12 dodge rating enchant. I don't know why it works if it requires a higher level item, but it just does.)
As of patch 3.1.0 it is no longer possible to get cleft or cobra leg enchants, as they require at least level 60.
- Weapon main hand
- Weapon off-hand
- There aren't any minor glyphs that can really help a twink but here is a list of all the ones that are usable at level 19 so that you can choose for your self.
- (Reccommended for obtaining Lucky Fishing Hat)
Untested WotLK talent builds
or one i like is
These builds were written prior to Patch 3.0.2 and have not been updated for new talents.
- Duel 1
- Duel 2
- Arena/WSG 1
- Arena/WSG 2
- Dagger 1
- Dagger 2
- Dagger 3
- Can be used with rogues with no stealth attacks (Sword Rogues) or to attack multiple targets.
- For non-engineers use
- Used to stop flag runners or if you are stunned, and need to stun other player.
- Used for healing in middle of a series of fights, or quick healing.
- Good for healing in the middle of multiple mobs.
- Used to remove Polymorph effects from a friendly player. Good for twinks in need.
- Used for running the flag, or to fight the "slowing classes". Use sparingly can cost up to 10g a stack.
- Made by lvl 140 blacksmiths. When applied to your weapon they add +4 damage for 60 min (alternate stones for maces and blunt weapons).
- Incapacitates target for 30 sec.
Potions and elixirs
- This adds an extra 15 stamina but does not stack with food buffs.
In arena your approach should be different to Warsong Gulch. You should be changing your weapons depending on the opponents and using a slightly different Talent Build.
Garotte: Rogues should concentrate on maximising the damage of their Garotte. In arena Garotte is far more useful than Ambush, which should only be used if you are certain the enemy will die from it. The best way to maximise your Garotte damage is to use an Agility Build from the equipment and enchants named above. Have your addon dual equip two Cruel Barbs both with the +15 Agility enchant. This will maximise your attack power, and hence your garotte damage.
General Strategy: The general strategy in arena is for the Rogue to gain the initial advantage (via Stealth) and then to maximise DPS to quickly defeat an opponent. The most difficuly part of this - is the Stealth aspect. As they will be aware that a Rogue is present. Mages will spam AOE, players will hide in places to prevent you getting a sap and the opponent will move in an anti-rogue formation. Because of this it is best to use a Subtlety Build built around Stealth and Garotte damage - (3/3) (2/2) (2/2) (3/3)
- Closet addons let you switch weapons/armor with key binds or through menus.
- This addon will automatically fill a movable action bar with all consumables in your inventory, including engineering explosives, health potions, food, bandages, etc..
- Gives info about energy bar and when it will tick.
- Gives info in stuns on you, and your stuns on enemies.
Making a good twink is going to be expensive; and that's a fact. If you get the proper equips and enchants, it's gonna cost up to several thousand Gold. Saying that, it will be a great way to have fun when completed. G'luck
Popular Alliance choices are Night Elf, for the extra agility, and Human, for Every Man for Himself. Gnomes are also rather popular and dwarves make appearances here and there. Popular Horde choices include Blood Elf and Undead. Every race has it's advantages and disadvantages, and your choice should be based largely on your play style.
Human - The ability to detect stealth more adeptly than the other races is a bonus to survivability against other rogues. Every Man for Himself effectively allows you to have three trinkets, as it acts as an Insignia of the Alliance and shares the cooldown, too.
Dwarf - A survivability race, with more stamina and Stoneform, which will remove bleeds, poisons, and diseases and increase your armor slightly.
Night Elf - A very popular choice, Night Elves have the ability to Shadowmeld, which is similar to the Vanish ability. In addition, they have the most agility of any Alliance Race.
Gnome - The bonus to engineering for a gnome allows you to create higher-level Engineering items than the other races, however, you don't need to take up engineering in the first place. Escape Artist is a very nice racial ability that will remove all roots and snares (But NOT stuns!).
Orc - A high-stamina race with some nice racials. Blood Fury is nice for increasing your attack power and can give you the extra boost you need to take down other players. Hardiness will also reduce the duration of stun effects.
Forsaken - A very popular Horde race. Shadow Resistance will decrease the chance shadow spells hit you. Will of the Forsaken will remove charm, fear, and sleep effects on you, making for a potent combination versus Warlocks alongside Shadow Resistance. Cannibalize is a nice way to restore health without sitting down to eat, using a potion, putting stress on a healer, or running to a Rejuvenation powerup.
Troll - Many racials that benefit rogues. Berserking is a useful ability that will increase attack speed by amounts that vary depending on how badly injured the troll is. The highest possible bonus from Berserking is 30%. However, Berserking will cost you some Energy. Da Voodoo Shuffle is a new racial ability that decreases the duration of snares by 15%. Regeneration will increase your health regeneration rate by 10% and allow 10% of your health regeneration to take place during combat. While that may not seem useful at first it can save you in a pinch. Bow and Throwing Specialization will increase your ranged critical chance, be it with a bow or a throwing weapon.
Blood Elf - Arcane Torrent is the highlight here. Using it will silence every foe within an 8-yard radius and will also restore 15 energy. Magic Resistance will also decrease the chance that any spell will hit you by 2%.