|Affiliation(s)||Undercity, Horde Council, Horde, Uncrowned|
|Former affiliation(s)||Scarlet Crusade|
|Occupation||Representative of the Forsaken on the Horde Council, Champion of the Uncrowned, Alchemist|
Lilian Voss is a recently "recovered" undead, first uncovered by the player from a coffin inside the Shadow Grave of Deathknell. Initially rejecting the Forsaken, Lilian undertook a single-minded crusade against both the Scarlet Crusade and all evil necromancers.
The player, while leveling in Tirisfal Glades, will often either encounter or hear about Lilian up until the player helps her kill her father High Priest Benedictus Voss. Later on, she infiltrated the Scarlet Monastery and enlisted the aid of adventurers in order to retrieve the and finish off High Inquisitor Whitemane by stabbing her with them. She then took the blades and went on to Scholomance to kill Darkmaster Gandling, the headmaster of the necromancy school. Surviving the experience, she is later seen in Draenor hunting more necromancers.
During the third invasion of the Burning Legion, Lilian joined the Uncrowned in the Hall of Shadows. After aiding in the Legion's downfall, she observed that Sylvanas Windrunner was raising more Forsaken and felt that she should help the newly raised adapt to their situation and avoid the pain she had to go through. She is a major character in the Horde War Campaign, where she serves as a mentor to Captain Amalia Stone and Tidesage Thomas Zelling.
She was ultimately chosen to represent the Forsaken on the Horde Council, following the desertion of Sylvanas Windrunner and the retiring of the Warchief position. She has, however, voiced her desire for her people to have a proper leader beyond her, but will represent them until such a leader arises.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Notes and trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Lilian was raised by her father High Priest Voss to battle the plague as a member of the Scarlet Crusade, giving up her childhood. She studied stealth, sorcery, martial arts and anything else that would make herself stronger.
Lilian would grow up into a young woman, and was friends with Scarlet Lieutenant Gebler. After she died, her corpse ended up at the Deathknell Graves and Lilian was raised as an undead by the Forsaken's Val'kyr. When Forsaken adventurers approached her to recruit her into the Forsaken's ranks, she ran away in denial of her undeath, claiming that her father would protect her. She was later found by Novice Elreth in Deathknell. To show her what she really was and encourage her to join the Forsaken, Novice Elreth gave the Forsaken adventurer a hand mirror. When Lilian saw her own face in the mirror she ran away, again calling for her father and denying her life as an undead.
Shortly thereafter, she was captured by the Scarlet Crusade and imprisoned. She was informed by Gebler that her father had disowned her and had ordered him to carry out Lilian's immediate execution. Enraged by this, Lilian passed through the bars of her cage, ignited herself in purple flames and instantly killed her former comrade.
Some time later, High Executor Derrington at the Bulwark was approached by Lilian swearing enmity against the Crusade, so he directed her to the north. Dozens of Scarlet Crusaders were found that had been killed in the same fashion at the Crusader Outpost and Scarlet Encampment. Lilian was again encountered by a Horde adventurer and escorted to her father. Lilian grabbed Benedictus and climbed up the walls of the towers, strangling and killing him in the process, before escaping again.
Derrington later received reports of Scarlet Crusade activity at a small camp east of Felstone Field, now known as the Charred Outpost. He sends Horde adventurers to the Western Plaguelands to inspect the camp. Upon reaching the camp, all the Crusaders are found dead and engulfed in purple flames, implying that Lilian had passed through the area.
Mists of Pandaria
Lilian appeared again in revamped Scarlet Monastery instances as a Hooded Crusader, directing adventurers to clear up any rebuilding Scarlet forces inside the Monastery and to retrieve the , the only weapon that is able to permanently kill High Inquisitor Whitemane. After the deed was done, Lilian finally revealed herself and took the blades, venturing to eradicate the Scourge remnant in Scholomance, including Darkmaster Gandling.
Turning her wrath against the Scourge necromancers, Lilian fought her way through Gandling's domain, only to be subdued by the darkmaster himself. Now turned against her allies, she had to be freed from the necromancer's control by defeating her in combat. After the Necromancer fled, Lilian begged the adventurers to leave her to die alone. However, she managed to survive the wounds she sustained during the battle and is still active in the world somewhere.
Warlords of Draenor
Lilian has moved to the Halls of Shadow in Dalaran. She sits on a flight of stairs reading a book. When The Uncrowned received word of a large cave at the Broken Shore where the Burning Legion was plotting against the Armies of Legionfall, Lilian and Fleet Admiral Tethys formulated a plan to stop them. With fel-infused gun powder taken from the Blacksail Crew, Lilian and the Shadowblade sneaked their way into the Lost Temple and blew the cave up.
Lilian discovered that the Legion was using homunculi, a type of undead construct so lifelike that even she couldn't identify them, to infiltrate cities since the Illidari demon hunters made demon incursions impossible. She dispatched the Shadowblade to go after them.
Battle for Azeroth
Now part of the Horde, Lilian explains that her services were "requested", not unlike Garona, another member of the Uncrowned, who said that she was "conscripted" and had to fake her loyalty to the Horde for her own safety. While she still served the Uncrowned, she also recognized that Sylvanas was going to raise more Forsaken, and saw the opportunity to help the new Forsaken adapt to their situation, sparing them the suffering she herself experienced. She has also come to blame the human kingdoms for fostering malice against her kind by shunning their undead brothers and sisters, and believes it is time for the cycle of hatred to end and that the Alliance deserves to fall.
Lilian attacked the Kul Tiran town of Bridgeport to slay Captain Amalia Stone and retrieve her corpse. Once Captain Stone was raised Lilian helped her adapt to undeath, and then she and Nathanos Blightcaller had Stone lead them to the highest-ranking Kul Tiran soldier at Barrowknoll Cemetery, which turned out to be Marshal M. Valentine. But Valentine's grave was empty because he had died at sea in the Second War, so Lilian and Rexxar sought out a dying tidesage who could find Valentine for them, Thomas Zelling.
Zelling was dying of an illness but was interested in becoming undead so that if he helped the Horde they would protect his wife and children, despite Lilian's best attempts to talk him out of it. Relenting, Rexxar and Lilian agreed to keep Zelling's family safe and then Lilian called a Val'kyr to raise him. She watched as his family rejected him as a monster, and then she accepted him into the Horde. Alongside Zelling, Lilian joined the expedition to recover Valentine's body, during which the Horde also found the corpse of Derek Proudmoore.
Tides of Vengeance
After Sylvanas raised Derek as a Forsaken, Lilian was not surprised, unlike most of the people aboard the Banshee's Wail who were horrified. She knew that Sylvanas only saw them as arrows in her quiver, and said that this changed nothing for Lilian, nor for what she needed to do. When Baine was arrested and Zelling was killed for their parts in freeing Derek from Horde captivity, Lilian vowed to keep helping Zelling's family and, if they asked what became of him, to tell them he died a hero. Seeing how Sylvanas had been planning to deprive Derek of his free will, Lilian wondered if Sylvanas took any pride in what should have been the distinction between the Forsaken and Scourge.
Rise of Azshara
In time, Varok Saurfang's revolutionaries clashed with Sylvanas Windrunner's loyalists, which saw the conflict ending in Saurfang's death and Sylvanas's abandonment of the Horde. As the Horde united once more, Voss caught wind of rumors that Jaina Proudmoore was going to meet with her brother Derek Proudmoore in Seabreeze Village within Stormsong Valley. Feeling that she has to atone with Derek, Voss requested for the Speaker of the Horde to spy on the meeting between the siblings and report to her anything of interest. It was there that the Speaker witnessed Jaina confirming that the war was over to her brother and Calia Menethil. After witnessing Jaina and Derek remark that others would benefit from Calia's guidance, the Speaker left to report to Voss. Once informed of the conversation, Voss remarked that she must act quickly.
Visions of N'Zoth
With Sylvanas' defection, many of the Forsaken felt abandoned and came under suspicion from some members of the Horde. Voss felt that the Forsaken needed to regain their allies' trust, which they could only do by accepting themselves. To this end, she arranged a meeting with Calia and Derek at the Calston Estate in the Tirisfal Glades, where she apologized for her role in Derek's rebirth and introduced the two to Delaryn Summermoon and the other night elven dark rangers, who had likewise been abandoned by Sylvanas. Calia and Derek quickly offered to help the night elves. As they departed, Voss stated that the meeting had gone exactly as she had hoped and that she would speak to the Speaker again soon as there was more work to be done.
In the aftermath of N'Zoth's defeat, the Horde leadership forewent selecting a new warchief in favor of a council-style leadership, with Voss representing the Forsaken on the council. In a conversation with Overlord Geya'rah, Voss mentioned that while some Forsaken believed their home was with the Horde, there were still many who loved Sylvanas. When Geya'rah asked where Voss' own loyalties lay, she responded that they were with the Forsaken, since a caring hand could offer comfort through the trauma of being raised into undeath. However, Lilian stated that while she would speak on her people's behalf, she would not rule as there was another more suited to the task.
Declaring that peace with the Alliance had come at a price, Voss felt it was best to hope it was not paid in vain.
Lilian, being considered as interim leader of the Forsaken, knew that the Forsaken couldn't remain in Orgrimmar forever and believed that the ruins of Lordaeron could one day be reclaimed and their homes there restored. Despite the truce between the Horde and Alliance, Lilian and Calia knew that Alliance ships wouldn't be happy to see Horde flags at sea, though Calia was confident that Derek could intervene on their behalf if they were intercepted. Voss and Calia then attended a Horde Council meeting where Thrall noticed that Calia appeared to be watching Voss's every move, as if she might be tested on it later. When Calia and Voss explained why they had been late to said meeting, Calia brought up her belief about Derek causing Queen Talanji of the Zandalari Empire to declare that House Proudmoore could to do nothing for them as she blamed them for the death of her father, King Rastakhan and objected to peace with Jaina. However, Voss was quick to remind her that she had to accept that Derek was one of the Forsaken and that the Forsaken were the Horde. Talanji was unmoved and declared that the Zandalari were Horde as well. The subsequent friction in the meeting forced Thrall to call the meeting adjourned.
After an assassination attempt was made on Talanji, Voss joined with the rest of the council in empowering the young troll shaman Zekhan, still grieving the loss of Varok Saurfang, with a critical mission to aid Talanji and help uncover the rising threat against her. Upon learning that the Alliance was aware of the unrest in Zandalar, their belief that Talanji was working with Sylvanas, and that they had requested to speak with the council, another meeting was held. Voss voted in favor of Thrall and Ji Firepaw meeting with Jaina Proudmoore and Anduin Wrynn declaring that any chance to capture Sylvanas couldn't be wasted.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Scarlet Halls||42 - 91|
|Scarlet Monastery||42 - 91|
|Scholomance||43 - 91|
|Lilian Voss (tactics)||43 - 91|
|Hall of Shadows||110||18,126,895|
Warlords of Draenor
Battle for Azeroth
Please add any available information to this section.
- Tirisfal Glades
- Main article: The Wakening#Notes
- Main article: The Truth of the Grave#Notes
- Main article: A Scarlet Letter (quest)#Notes
- Main article: A Daughter's Embrace#Notes
Mists of Pandaria
- Scarlet Monastery
- Main article: Hooded Crusader#Quotes
Warlords of Draenor
Finally... my time to shine. Let's do this right.
- What is it you ask?
- My blades stay sharp.
- I live my life in the shadows.
- Get away!
- Leave me be!
- Oh! You prefer I play the role of a monster!
- Keep your guard up.
- Do not linger.
- There is much to be done.
- Rogue Campaign (7.2)
- Main article: Rise Up (Horde)#Notes
- Main article: This Time, Leave a Trail (Horde)#Notes
- Main article: Champion: Lilian Voss (Legion)#Notes
- Main article: Dread Infiltrators#Notes
- Main article: Hiding In Plain Sight#Notes
- Spawn (Passive)
- End it now!
- I emerge from the shadows!
- Now who's doing the rescuing?
- Allow me to escort you to your end!
- You cannot match my skill!
- Time to die!
- Killed a mob
- You like my blade in your back?
- To bones and ashes!
- Everyone's alone when they're dead!
- Leave me...
- Go on without me...
- Don't worry... I'll heal...
Battle for Azeroth
- Banshee's Wail and Timberfell Outpost
- We need to show the Kul Tirans what it means to make an enemy of the Horde.
- You seem to have embraced the Horde.
- It seems my skills drew the attention of the powers that be. My services were... "requested."
- Did you catch the hidden meaning there? Sorry. Despite my profession, I'm not the best at subtlety.
- Regardless, I know how to recognize an opportunity when I see one.
- What sort of opportunity?
- It doesn't take a prophet to see that Sylvanas will use this war as a means of bringing more Forsaken into the world.
- My own conversion was... difficult. I had a lot to work through. Many scores to settle.
- I haven't let go of all that. But I also feel an obligation to help the newly risen adapt to their situation. Perhaps I can spare them the sort of pain I endured.
- And what of the Alliance?
- In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them.
- When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all.
- But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh.
- It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall.
- Gossip - Rogue
- I thought you served the Uncrowned. Have you changed your allegiance?
- Not exactly. When you see an opportunity, you take it.
- I've always had plans for my future. It's about time I do the work to make those plans a reality.
- Stone seems to be shaping up rather well.
- In time, I believe she will prove to be quite a loyal ally.
- Lilian, I heard you helped Zelling's family get a home in Drustvar.
- Keep it down. Of course I made sure his family was taken care of. Do I look like a monster?
- On second thought, don't answer that.
- I gave Zelling my word that his family would remain safe. I intend to keep my promise, even if I have to do it from the shadows.
- I'm not surprised. I always knew the Banshee Queen was capable of tactics like these. As she's so fond of saying, they are the arrows in her quiver.
- This changes nothing for me... or for what I need to do.
- Thomas Zelling has... had... a family in life. He made me promise to keep them safe, even after they called him a monster and shunned him for being undead. It is a promise I will continue to keep.
- If they ever ask how he met his fate, I will tell them that he died a hero. We Forsaken are raised with free will. That's what separates us from the Scourge. Sylvanas Windrunner used to take pride in that distinction.
- But after all I have seen in this war, I must wonder if that still holds true.
Peace with the Alliance has come at a price, let us hope that it was not paid in vain.
Notes and trivia
- Although Lilian does not have a completely unique model, it's unusual for a non-death knight with the Forsaken model to have glowing blue eyes (rather than yellow ones). Another notable example is Lord Godfrey.
- Many of Lilian's attacks cause her victims to erupt in purple flames, leaving her mark throughout Scarlet encampments in Tirisfal Glades and the Western Plaguelands. These kinds of attacks also appear in the fight against Lilian in Scholomance.
- Though Lilian's name is commonly assumed to be a reference to Liliana Vess (a necromancer from Magic: The Gathering), Wryxian has stated that any similarities between the characters are coincidental. Lilian's surname actually originates from the fact that one of Blizzard's designers went to school with a person named "Voss".
- Lilian wears Conqueror's Terrorblade Battlegear and wields the (although the blades themselves use the model of the heroic version of ).
- In her appearance in the Hall of Shadows, Lilian is holding the book she's reading upside-down.
- Lilian is voiced by Cree Summer.
- Lilian appears as a legendary card for the rogue class in the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion for Hearthstone. Her flavor text reads: "She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop... ever, until all necromancers are dead."
- Official art
- Fan art
- Patch 8.3.0 (2020-01-14): Added to the Orgrimmar Embassy after Warchief of the Horde.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): New appearances with updated gear.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added to Lunarfall Inn and Frostwall Tavern as a quest giver.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added as a quest giver in Scarlet Monastery and an encounter in Scholomance.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.
- ^ Wowhead
- ^ a b Dave Kosak on Twitter
- ^ Lilian Voss#Battle for Azeroth 2
- ^ a b c
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ Garona Halforcen#Banshee's Wail
- ^ Lilian Voss#Battle for Azeroth 2
- ^ Shadows Rising
- ^ Lore Interview with Lead Narrative Designer Steve Danuser - Elune, Sylvanas, Calia
- ^ Wryxian on Lilian Voss (2012-03-27). Archived from the original on 2013-02-03. “Lilian Voss is not actually named after this card! Believe it or not, that was a total coincidence, as one of our designers happened to go to school with a guy named "Voss." :)”
Ruler of the Forsaken