|Level||44 - 62 (Elite) / 70|
|Former affiliation(s)||Kingdom of Lordaeron, Silver Hand|
|Location||Scourge side, Stratholme; Old Stratholme|
|Status||Killable (WoW), Deceased (Lore)|
Of Blood and Honor
Barthilas was an ambitious young paladin who served under Tirion Fordring at Mardenholde Keep. He was ordained a paladin just as the Second War ended, a war which claimed his parents' lives, and left the young man a deep hatred for all orcs. When Tirion was found injured and unconscious, Barthilas immediately assumed that he had been attacked by an orc, and began to scour the countryside for a force of them. He called for help from Saidan Dathrohan. Barthilas, Tirion, Saidan and his men found the orc named Eitrigg and attempted to capture him. Tirion tried to defend Eitrigg but was arrested for treason.
After Tirion was arrested, Barthilas personally oversaw the paladin's prosecution and served as a witness during Tirion's trial. Barthilas also made plans for the torture and execution of Eitrigg only to see the orc escape from Stratholme with Tirion when Thrall attacked the city. During the raid, one of the orcs jabbed a spear into Barthilas's chest. Despite the grievous wound, Barthilas survived and eagerly assumed his new position as Lord of Mardenholde after Tirion went into exile. His title eventually passed to Tirion's son Taelan Fordring.
Magistracy of Stratholme
At some point after the events of Of Blood and Honor, having survived his impalement earlier on, Barthilas became Magistrate of Stratholme, where he remained until the time the Stratholme was purged by Prince Arthas. He then had an assistant called Patricia O'Reilly, and evidently fell during this period, becoming the creature seen in Stratholme today.
It appears canonical that he was killed by adventurers, as Baron Rivendare asks the death knight player if they would be interested in taking Barthilas's position as Stratholme's mayor.
In the Culling of Stratholme, the new instance of the Caverns of Time, Barthilas is located in Stratholme's city hall, trying to assuage the fears of his petitioners, who are concerned over rumors of the plagued grain (the shipment from Andorhal tainted by Kel'Thuzad and the Cult of the Damned).
Barthilas was among those innocents purged by Arthas and his forces during the Culling of Stratholme. The Lich King eventually raised the former magistrate from the grave and commanded the hulking undead monstrosity to guard his ruined home.
The Magistrate could be found in two locations in Stratholme (Classic). If the party entered through the eastern gate (typically referred to as the back door, the dead side or Strat Baron side), the Magistrate sounds an alarm and runs from just inside the instance to the gates just before the Baron. If the party enters through the western gates (typically referred to as the front door, Strat Scarlet Side or the living side), he remains near the eastern entrance in front of Aurius.
See the map at Worldofwar.net for a layout of Stratholme. The location marked as 6 is where he is located when entering through the Scarlet Side gates. The location for the Baron side is unmarked, but it is between 10 and 12 (Maleki the Pallid and Ramstein the Gorger).
This was only important if you were trying to farm the Magistrate for drops. In particular, the druid idol () that drops from the Magistrate was excellent for bear druids and the quickest way to get to him would by entering through the Scarlet Side gates.
In Cataclysm, the Scarlet side and Scourge sides were separated, using the main entrance and the Eastwall Gate as their own entrances. Just as before, entering the Scourge side causes the Magistrate to sound an alarm and run from just inside the instance to the gates outside of Slaughter Square.
- Crowd Pummel — Magistrate Barthilas pummels all players within 10 yards, inflicting Physical damage, interrupting spell casting for 4 sec and knocking them back.
- Furious Anger — Magistrate Barthilas enrages, increasing Physical damage and melee attack speed for 1 min. This effect stacks up to 25 times.
- Mighty Blow — Magistrate Barthilas inflicts Physical damage to his current target, knocking them back.
- Draining Blow — Magistrate Barthilas drains health from his current target, inflicting Shadow damage and healing himself for the amount of damage dealt.
This fight is fairly straightforward, with one caveat. When tanking the Magistrate, it is best to have the tank back up against a wall, as this mob will punt the player with aggro a fairly good distance. In addition, if mobs were skipped near the gate, it is possible to be punted into them.
The punt effect is either a complete threat wipe or a large threat reduction that will hit the character currently tanking the Magistrate. It is important that dps run towards the tank rather than away from the tank if the Magistrate targets them following a punt. He is tauntable so it's easy to establish threat after the punt if the tank can reach him.
- Magistrate Barthilas yells: Intruders at the Service Gate! Lord Rivendare must be warned!
- Culling of Stratholme
- No remedy seems to work - the entire city has sickened...
- The soldiers are spreading panic with the rumors of bad food. Neighbors are accusing one another of poison. The city will fall into bedlam!
- Everyone is falling ill - this is an epidemic!
- I pray the illness I'm feeling is due to stress ulcers...
- How can I possibly help the city in such a widespread crisis?
- I'm at a loss. What can one simple man do in the face of disaster?
- Of Blood and Honor
- "The future of our people is no longer your concern. I rule Hearthglen now, Tirion. And as long as I do, I swear there will never be peace with the orcs! On my parents' departed souls, I swear that every last orc in Lordaeron will burn for what they've done!"
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scales from 44 to 62. Previous level: 51.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Level reduced from 58.
Lord of Mardenholde Keep
Ruler of Stratholme