We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
- For his Warcraft III statistics, see Mal'Ganis (Warcraft III). For information on how to defeat him in World of Warcraft, see .
|Former affiliation(s)||Scourge (Undead Elite Guard), Scarlet Onslaught (while in the form of )|
|Occupation||Leader of the Scarlet Onslaught (while in the form of Barean Westwind)|
- "I am Mal'Ganis. I AM ETERNAL!"
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Memorable quotes
- 4 Notes & trivia
- 5 Speculation
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
The Third War
As Arthas and were investigating rumors of plague, they were attacked again and again by the forces of the Scourge posing as the personal army of the dreadlord Mal'Ganis. helped play the part by telling Arthas that it was Mal'Ganis himself and not the Lich King behind the plague. Each attack, each town destroyed hit at Arthas' weakness, his pride. Arthas began to take his inability to protect his people from the Scourge personally, and soon became obsessed with killing the dreadlord.
Mal'Ganis led Arthas to Stratholme, and left him with the choice of either slaughtering all of its inhabitants or watching them fall to the plague. Arthas chose to kill his own subjects rather than let them become slaves to Mal'Ganis in death, killing most of the inhabitants of the town. Mal'Ganis was there in the wreckage, and goaded Arthas once again to come to Northrend to finish their battle. As expected, Arthas took the royal fleet and sailed north. The Prince's obsession with the hated dreadlord led him further down the path of evil, first lying to his men, betraying his mercenaries, and finally forsaking his own soul to take up the runeblade Frostmourne, grievously wounding in the process.
The moment Arthas took up Frostmourne he became a tool of the Lich King, completely subservient to his will. This was what Mal'Ganis had planned all along. Confidently he approached Arthas and informed him of his fate. However, the manipulative and traitorous dreadlord was himself betrayed, as the Lich King's first whispers to Arthas were that the time for his vengeance had come (this was the first step towards 's independence). Arthas defeated the dreadlord and believed him to be slain.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
Culling of Stratholme
- Main article: Mal'Ganis (tactics)
Mal'Ganis is the final boss in the Stratholme of the past, the fourth wing of the Caverns of Time that opened with the release of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. In the Warcraft III scenario The Culling, Mal'Ganis would always resurrect after a certain period and return to continue his corruption of the city. In the instance, however, once Mal'ganis is taken to 1% health, he teleports out of the city after telling Arthas to meet him in Northrend.
Recent discoveries have shown that this is not the case. Mal'Ganis is still alive — under the guise of — and has taken over control of the Scarlet Onslaught, much like had done with the original Scarlet Crusade. He stood in seclusion in Onslaught Harbor until agents from the Knights of the Ebon Blade forced him to show his true identity and flee back to his homeworld. He claimed to be plotting his revenge against the traitorous , but this never came to fruition.
This section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Mal'Ganis has not appeared since then and his location is unknown.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Purge of Dalaran||90||39,394|
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
- Mal'Ganis: I've been waiting for you, young prince. I am Mal'Ganis.
- Mal'Ganis: As you can see, your people are now mine. I will now turn this city household by household, until the flame of life has been snuffed out... forever.
- Arthas: I won't allow it, Mal'Ganis! Better that these people die by my hand than serve as your slaves in death!
- Arthas: We're going to finish this right now, Mal'Ganis. Just you and me.
- Mal'Ganis: Brave words. Unfortunately for you, it won't end here. Your journey has just begun, young prince.
- Mal'Ganis: Gather your forces and meet me in the arctic land of Northrend. It is there that we shall settle the score between us. It is there were your true destiny will unfold.
- Arthas: I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth if I have to! Do you hear me? To the ends of the earth!
- "The Dark Lord said you would come! This is where you journey ends...boy. Trapped and freezing at the roof of the world, with only death to sing the tale of your doom!"
- Mal'Ganis: So, you've taken up Frostmourne at the expense of your comrades' lives, just as the Dark Lord said you would. You're stronger than I thought.
- Arthas: You waste your breath Mal'Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.
- Mal'Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield... What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?
- Arthas: He tells me the time for my vengeance has come.
- Mal'Ganis: What? He couldn't possibly mean to--
- Arthas: It is finished.
World of Warcraft
- When revealing his true identity
- Gah! I spent too much time in that weak little shell.
- Kirel narak! I am Mal'Ganis. I AM ETERNAL!
- Killing a player
- Anach kyree! (Miserable insect!)
- My Onslaught will wash over the Lich King's forces!
- Your death is in vain, tiny mortal.
- Your time has come to an end.
- When escaping
- ENOUGH! I waste my time here. I must gather my strength on the homeworld.
- You'll never defeat the Lich King without my forces! I'll have my revenge...on him AND you!
Notes & trivia
- Though plotting his revenge upon the Lich King, developers hinted that he would have no role in Icecrown Citadel. This eventually proved true. Mal'Ganis is nowhere to be found within Icecrown Citadel.
- During the Purge of Dalaran, summoned images of various Wrath of the Lich King era bosses, Mal'Ganis among them, to fight for him against the Horde.
- In a manga Nightmares, Jaina was dreaming about traveling with Arthas to Northrend. There, they defeated the dreadlord and then found Frostmourne Cavern and Frostmourne in it. As Arthas was about to approach the blade, Mal'Ganis reappeared and attacked him, almost overwhelming him. In hoping to rescue Arthas, Jaina took the blade and slew the dreadlord, damning her own soul and eventuality becoming the Lich Queen.
- In the final level of The Scourge of Lordaeron in Warcaft III: Reign of Chaos, using the given base and units it is possible to invade and destroy Mal'Ganis' base, but if Mal'Ganis is killed before Arthas returns with Frostmourne, Mal'Ganis will die, drop 2-3 Ankh of Reincarnation, and come back to life. This can be repeated numerous times and when he does finally stay down (you will see the death animation when he finally dies), Ankhs will continuously spawn from where he died.
- Mal'Ganis is voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
- He appears as a legendary card for the Warlock class in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. His flavor text reads: "Mal'Ganis doesn't like being betrayed, so if you discard him, watch out."
- It is unknown why he was not present in Icecrown Citadel. It can be speculated that his plans were ruined by the arriving of the Ashen Verdict.
- believed he had possibly destroyed the dreadlord homeworld, Nathreza, well before Mal'Ganis was discovered in Northrend. Mal'Ganis's statement after being discovered as Westwind might imply that he did not know about Nathreza's fate or that some of the planet still exists, like Outland.
Mal'Ganis in Death Knight.
Although this is , the art is used to represent Mal'Ganis in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Added.
- ^ The Cult of the Damned (WC3 Human)
- ^ March of the Scourge (WC3 Human)
- ^ The Culling (WC3 Human)
- ^ Divergent Courses (WC3 Human)
- ^ Dissension (WC3 Human)
- ^ Frostmourne (WC3 Human)
- ^ Trudging through the Ashes (WC3 Undead)
- ^ http://www.worldofraids.com/news/1078-twitter-blizzard-developer-chat-transcript.html
- ^ World of Warcraft: Illidan