Profession skill levels fall into ten of groups of ability to learn and execute recipes: Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert, Artisan, Master (), Grand Master (), Illustrious Grand Master (), Zen Master (), Draenor Master (), Legion Master (), and Kul Tiran and Zandalari ().
- Not counting racial or other bonuses, Master proficiency allows the profession up to a maximum of 75 points.
- Crafting professions have a minumum level of 50 to become a Master.
- Gathering professions have a minimum level of 40 to become a Master.
- Prior to the expansion Battle for Azeroth, the Master stage could be learnt at a skill level of 275 and allowed progression gain up to a maximum of 375 points, not counting any racial or any other bonuses.
- Up to , no skill or profession could go above 375 points (not including racial or other bonuses).
- In Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, it is a rank you can achieve.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Each expansion now has a separate profession skill bar, with smaller caps for each expansion, instead of one gigantic profession skill bar for all expansions put together