Master Mathias Shaw
- For the Vision of Stormwind version, see Overlord Mathias Shaw.
Leader of SI:7,|
|Affiliation(s)||Stormwind, SI:7, Stormwind Assassin's Guild, The Uncrowned (allied)|
|Occupation||Director of SI:7, Champion and ally of the Uncrowned|
- “Subtlety and guile are our best weapons in this war.”
- — Shaw in Battle for Azeroth
As the master of SI:7, Shaw specializes in gathering information and performing covert missions to ensure the Alliance's continued survival. His abilities as a rogue are matched only by his unwavering loyalty to Stormwind and the House of Wrynn. He fought in the third invasion of the Burning Legion after being rescued from the dreadlord Detheroc. In Battle for Azeroth, he serves as a major character in the Alliance's War Campaign.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 In the RPG
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Videos
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
World of Warcraft
Shaw is now the head of the organization known as SI:7, the agency of intelligence for the city of Stormwind, and in fact much of the Alliance. From his base of operations in the barracks of Old Town, he coordinates reconnaissance efforts for many agents of the Alliance regarding matters as far apart as the Defias Brotherhood to the Undead Scourge. Shaw is also a master of stealth and infiltration tactics himself, and specializes in operations involving the rogues in the employ of the Alliance. He is also a member or presumably the leader of the Stormwind Assassin's Guild.
Mathias had directed SI:7 reconnaissance operations on Defias activities in order to help Alliance heroes hunt down the subversive traitors who seek to destroy Stormwind from within. He sent Agent Kearnen to Westfall to spy on Klaven's Tower and also sent five agents to investigate the missing corpse of Nathanos Marris.
The Cataclysm era
After Moira Thaurissan kidnapped all dwarves in Ironforge, Mathias handpicked Owynn Graddock to accompany Varian Wrynn and other assassins of SI:7 through Deeprun Tram into Ironforge to liberate it.
Mathias attended Remembrance Day in Stormwind City but was worried when Varian was missing for his speech. Shaw, Marcus Jonathan, and Jaina Proudmoore began searching for the king and prince of Stormwind.
Master Mathias Shaw is later sent to the Twilight Highlands to head the SI:7 operations there. In Dragonmaw Pass, he can be found coordinating with the red dragonflight on raiding Twilight Hammer caravans. Afterwards, he has an adventurer lead a Highbank squadron to secure the Dragonmaw Gates. Later he is found in the Twilight Citadel, awaiting SI:7 reinforcements, but his reinforcements were killed by Cho'gall, leaving the adventurer his only support. Together they kill the Citadel's Twilight Hammer assassins and cultists, assassinate influential Twilight Hammer candidates for ascension, free Lirastrasza from capture and aid the red dragon in finishing off Twilight dragons. When the adventurer reports Forgemaster Finlay's warning about the Hammer of Twilight to Shaw, Shaw has his agents investigate. After a while, he briefs the adventurer on the intelligence he received from his dead agents and tells them that the Hammer of Twilight is located in the Altar of Twilight, and in a struck of good fortune, Cho'gall is personally overseeing its construction. Shaw, the adventurer, Kurdran Wildhammer, and Cassius the White lead an assault on the Altar of Twilight to confront Cho'gall, but it is revealed to be a trap. Cho'gall ordered Skullcrusher the Mountain to dispose of his enemies but with the help of the Wildhammers, the Alliance was able to defeat the gronn and force Cho'gall to retreat to the Bastion of Twilight.
Just before the battle at the Broken Shore, SI:7 discovered that there was a trap set by the Burning Legion. Before they could warn the Alliance and Horde, Detheroc ambushed the SI:7 agents and captured Shaw before impersonating him. As Amber Kearnen was a witness to this, Detheroc had her killed before she could warn the Uncrowned.
When the Night Watch is revealed to work for the Burning Legion and attacks Stormwind, Detheroc as Shaw puts the city under lockdown and tells Garona Halforcen and a Shadow of the Uncrowned that they are not allowed within the city. Despite this, Garona and the Shadow sneak their way through the city and slay Melris Malagan, leader of the cult's attack. Afterward, "Shaw" says that although the king was never in any danger, their success in stopping the cultist before even Shaw's own men could, would keep them out of prison at the very least. He tells them to leave the city before he changes his mind.
After finding the corpse of Amber Kearnen in the sewers of Dalaran, the Uncrowned begins looking into SI:7's recent suspicious activities and discovers that "Shaw" was the one who ordered Kearnen's death. He hired the Red Blade pirates to do it, in exchange for the riches of Stormwind and access to Stormwind Harbor. After Valeera Sanguinar deciphered an encrypted letter that Kearnen had held, the Uncrowned discovered the man they thought was Mathias Shaw was in fact an impostor. Taoshi decided to find and save the real Shaw in order to expose Detheroc.
Taoshi and a fellow Shadow of the Uncrowned infiltrated Felsoul Hold, with bombs provided by Marin Noggenfogger serving as cover. They found and located Shaw, returning him to the Hall of Shadows. After being saved, Shaw revealed to the Uncrowned that Detheroc had told lies to Anduin Wrynn about the Horde and had manipulated the new king into preparing Stormwind's armies to attack the Horde, thus beginning another conflict between the Alliance and Horde when the world could least afford it. To cover his tracks, Detheroc had put up wanted posters of the members of the Uncrowned all over Stormwind, claiming they had conspired with the Burning Legion and thus turned Stormwind's citizens and guards against them. An adventurer, Taoshi, and Shaw were brought to Stormwind under the cover of night by Fleet Admiral Tethys and sneaked their way to SI:7 headquarters, where they exposed Detheroc and defeated him. In the aftermath, while Shaw does not join the Uncrowned due to his position as leader of SI:7, he does enter into an alliance with them to assist whenever asked.
Many months later Sargeras, the lord of the Legion, was defeated, but not before he managed to heavily wound Azeroth in Silithus. King Anduin Wrynn ordered Shaw to investigate the destroyed land and report back. When the new king was giving a speech at Lion's Rest celebrating the Legion's defeat, Shaw hurried to meet with him and King Genn Greymane with worrying news: many goblins had been sighted in Silithus mining an unknown substance. Shaw then sent Alliance adventurers to meet with SI:7 in Silithus.
Before the Storm
Mathias Shaw briefed King Anduin Wrynn's advisers about the information SI:7 garnered about Azerite during the conferences King Anduin held about the subject. He also remained neutral when King Anduin proposed the Gathering.
War of the Thorns
|This section is a lore stub.|
Mathias Shaw oversaw the operation to saturate Orgrimmar with SI:7 agents and relayed the information they garnered to King Anduin Wrynn and the other Alliance leaders. His agents reported that there has been a disagreement between Nathanos Blightcaller and High Overlord Varok Saurfang regarding the deployment of troops. Saurfang was said to have wanted an army deployed to Silithus, while the Blightcaller regarded it as a waste of resources. The Alliance leaders believed that the discord indicated that the Horde had weaponized Azerite and were planning to secure a monopoly of the mineral in Kalimdor. High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind had begun to secretly amass a night elf army in Feralas to intercept the Horde forces should they march to Silithus. Shaw later reported a public fistfight between Nathanos and Varok. Nathanos' subsequent reprimanding seemed to confirm the Alliance leaders' suspicions of the Horde's capability to make Azerite weapons and that Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner had endorsed Saurfang's Silithus campaign, which consequently caused the Alliance leaders to deploy the night elven army to deter them.
It was later discovered to be a ruse, however, and the Horde had used the opportunity to invade Ashenvale Forest instead. After discovering the Horde invasion, Shaw redirected bands of adventurers to aid in Ashenvale's defense until Alliance reinforcements arrive.
Battle for Azeroth
Mathias can be found aboard the Wind's Redemption docked at Boralus in Kul Tiras. He was charged with establishing an elite strike force to assist Halford Wyrmbane and the 7th Legion from the shadows as they worked to secure the Alliance's position on Zandalar and Kul Tiras.
Shaw later worked with Flynn Fairwind to retrieve the Abyssal Scepter, a stolen tidesage artifact, from the Zandalari treasury. At first, he didn't get along with Flynn, not appreciating his quips, but seemed to warm up to him by the end of the scenario. Once the real scepter was taken and swapped out with a fake one, they made an escape from Opulence.
In Nazmir, the Alliance began a feint attack led by Blademaster Telaamon to bait the Horde out of Zuldazar while the Alliance prepared to attack Dazar'alor. They would cover the area in a mist with the Abyssal Scepter, and until it was set up Jaina and Shaw provided support for Telaamon's forces. Afterward the two of them led the Alliance forces to get as much of Nazmir as they could, to make the Horde think it was where their main fleet was.
After Varok Saurfang escaped from the Stormwind Stockade, Shaw traveled to the Three Corners in Redridge Mountains and told the guards there to take the night off, providing them with plenty of alcohol to drink. Once they were drunk, they missed Saurfang passing by. Shaw also provided plenty of gold for more guards to stay at the Lakeshire inn and gave them orders to guard the roads from there to the Burning Steppes. However, Saurfang was traveling along the southern roads of Redridge, not the north. Dark Ranger Lyana accused Saurfang of conspiring with the humans, which Shaw's actions seem to support though it is unknown if Saurfang knew about what Shaw did.
Mathias asked Flynn to watch out for any intelligence regarding the .
After Alliance spies caught wind of Sylvanas Windrunner planning to assassinate Baine Bloodhoof, Anduin sent Jaina, Shaw, and an Alliance champion to rescue Baine. As Shaw and his allies ventured into the Underhold, they unexpectedly encountered Thrall and Varok Saurfang, who had also come to rescue Baine, and after a brief moment, agreed to work together to save Baine. When things started getting heated between Saurfang and Shaw, Jaina and Thrall were quick to get them focused on the task at hand. Upon nearly reaching Baine, the group was attacked by Rowa Bloodstrike, who expressed disappointment but not surprise by Saurfang's and Thrall's decision to rescue Baine. Unwilling to stand down, the group was forced to kill Rowa and moved forward to Baine, who was surprised by their presence. While Shaw moved to release Baine from his chains, Saurfang remarked that it felt too easy and the group was then attacked by Magister Hathorel, who sought to kill them and Jaina in particular for vengeance for the purge of Dalaran. Ultimately, the group was successful in liberating Baine from his chains, and Jaina teleported the group safely out of Orgrimmar into Mulgore. Shaw and Jaina then departed in order to report the mission's success to Anduin.
|This section is a lore stub.|
He was present during the assault to Orgrimmar in which Varok Saurfang fought and died against Sylvanas Windrunner in mak'gora. Following Sylvanas' ousting from the Horde, Mathias returned to the Wind's Redemption to lead SI:7's efforts in hunting Sylvanas and her agents in the Eastern Kingdoms. King Genn Greymane shared with Mathias his concerns about how not only are Sylvanas and her agents still at large but also how the Horde has become united once again. Shaw suggested they watch the Horde closely and inform King Anduin if there is a need for action.
After the Fourth War came to a close, Valeera asked Shaw what was next for him, prompting him to say that there was someone he'd like to get to know better. Valeera encouraged him to find happiness while he could.
Shaw will be spending more time with Flynn Fairwind in World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Hall of Shadows||110||10,392,670|
Please add any available information to this section.
- The Uncrowned campaign
- The Wound
- Stormwind City
- Dragonmaw Pass, Twilight Highlands
- Twilight Citadel, Twilight Highlands
World of Warcraft
Welcome to SI:7 headquarters, <name>.
Please add any available information to this section.
- Main article: Forged Documents (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: The Unseen Blade#Notes
- Main article: Searching For Clues#Notes
- Main article: Deciphering the Letter#Notes
- Main article: The Captive Spymaster#Notes
- Main article: Picking a Fight#Notes
- Main article: A Simple Plan#Notes
- Main article: The Imposter#Notes
- Main article: Summons to Stormwind#Notes
- Main article: Witness to the Wound (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: Seething Shore#Quotes
- Hall of Shadows
The Uncrowned must strive to undermine the Burning Legion in all the ways we do it best: artifice, guile, deception, and of course, politics.
Until the Legion is defeated, our continued cooperation is my highest priority, <name>. I trust that it is yours as well.
- We fight in the shadows.
- What needs done?
- It's Shaw. Mathias Shaw.
- I thought I saw you glance in my direction.
- I have ways of making you not talk!
- I've killed people for less than this!
- Drink this, it'll make me feel better.
- I'll have my people talk with your people. Sound good?
- Sleep with one eye open.
- The SI:7 is my cover. Don't blow it.
- The job's not done yet.
- Look to the shadows.
- Target acquired.
- Leave no trace.
- Taking out the target.
Battle for Azeroth
- Main article: Time for War (Alliance)#Notes
- Gossip in Boralus Harbor
We have little time to waste. What is required?
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Halford Wyrmbane walks over to Master Mathias Shaw.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: How many campaigns against the Horde does this make for you, Wyrmbane?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I've stopped counting. I go where the Alliance orders me... and where the Light calls me. But then, you are no stranger to battle.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: SI:7 was built to work behind the scenes. I prefer to stay in the shadows where I am not so... exposed.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I must admit... as a paladin, I have questioned the need for spies and assassins within the ranks of the Alliance. But the honor and loyalty you have shown our king is beyond question.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Kind of you to say, but if I had to choose between satisfying honor and getting the job done, I'll pick the latter every time. For the Alliance, of course.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: Oh, of course.
- Halford Wyrmbane walks back to his post.
- In Vol'dun
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Master Mathias Shaw walks over to Halford Wyrmbane.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Tell me, Wyrmbane, how does a paladin come to lead a force of elite soldiers? Shouldn't you be off consecrating temples or some such?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: I served as a knight when the Silver Hand was founded. I was dubious that priestly orders could mix with martial skills, so I remained focused on my combat training.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: But the more I observed those first paladins, one in particular inspired me... Turalyon. His faith sustained him, fueled his dedication, and made him a great leader.
- Halford Wyrmbane says: When he left with the Alliance Expedition to Outland and was presumed lost, the Light opened my eyes. I realized I could be both a soldier and a paladin. I vowed to honor his sacrifice.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: When you learned that Turalyon was alive, did it cause you to question your devotion? Your choices?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: Quite the opposite. To witness Turalyon's return, and to learn how the Light had sustained him, transformed him, only strengthened my resolve. I know my faith was well placed.
- Master Mathias Shaw says: Your faith in the Light? Or in Turalyon?
- Halford Wyrmbane says: The Light will endure long after we are gone. But when this war is over, what will you be left with, Shaw?
- Master Mathias Shaw says: The next war. And the one after that.
- Master Mathias Shaw walks back to his post.
- Gossip at Stormwind Embassy
It's good to be back in Stormwind. Kul Tiras has its charms, but these walls will always be home.
In the TCG
- Word of your deeds has spread far and wide, rogue. So far, in fact, that Stormwind Intelligence has asked for you by name.
In the RPG
Master Mathias Shaw is a rogue human and the leader of the Stormwind Assassins. He is a young man to lead such a powerful organization, but the 33-year-old is not daunted. He has deep brown eyes and is diminutive, very unassuming for a guild leader of assassins. Her grandmother, Pathonia, was his predecessor, and unbeknownst to him, Waltion Freemore is his grandfather.
Mathias' mother was a First Finger assassin who died on the job when he was 4 years old. He grew up at Grandmother Pathonia's knee, as she did not see fit to lie to him about her mother's death or his family's business. She groomed him for the job since he was an infant, testing his speed and dexterity on a physical level and making sure he understood the difference between doing what was right and doing what was necessary, and how those two do not always mix. He was the youngest member of the guild when his grandmother made him a Fourth Finger at the age of 10, and he worked his way up slowly, spending much more time in the various levels than most. This worked very well for him, as he knows intimately what is done at every level, and what is needed in new recruits. His first kill was the target his mother had failed to eliminate.
When his grandmother passed control to him on his 30th birthday, choosing to retire instead of die and leave things in disarray for him, he eagerly took the reins. Mathias attempted to make improvements on her designs, but after a couple of months finally had to accept that her design was flawless, and he simply needed to run the already well-oiled machine. The rest of the members are familiar with how Pathonia wished the organization to be run, and they often steer the young Mathias on the correct path.
When Stormwind found the Stockade filled with hapless, eager-faced thieves, King Anduin Wrynn approached Mathias and demanded he did something about it. Mathias assigned the Fourth Finger of the Stormwind Assassins to recruit the best of them.
- Although Mathias is said to be 33 years old, the same RPG also states his grandmother gave him control over the Assassins when he was 30 after she retired. But this is stated to had happened ten years ago, not three.
Notes and trivia
- During the early development of Warlords of Draenor alpha, Mathias was initially planned to have a presence in Shadowmoon Valley on the alternate Draenor as he and Khadgar would brief the Alliance adventurer on the Iron Horde orcs in Grommar.
- Master Mathias Shaw is quoted on the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game card "Stab in the Dark".
- During the World of Warcraft: Legion alpha, Mathias Shaw was a member of The Uncrowned. An orc called The Hood was also there as the leader of the Shattered Hand. It is possible that Shaw and the Hood were both there as Alliance and Horde representatives respectively. Both Shaw and The Hood were later removed in a patch that also added Tess Greymane.
- Shaw is voiced by John Behlmann.
- Shaw's facial hair in cinematics is different from the facial hair on his in-game model. Shaw's model uses default player facial hair while his cinematic beard and mustache do not exist in the game's engine.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added in Twilight Highlands. Model updated.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Added.
- ^ a b c
- ^ a b Before the Storm, chapter 1
- ^ The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, chapter 30
- ^ Blood of Our Fathers
- ^ Elegy
- ^ - Cinematic (Spoiler)
- ^ World of Warcraft Trading Card Game: Through the Dark Portal. Blizzard Entertainment. 181: Master Mathias Shaw.
- ^ a b Lands of Conflict, pg. 168 - 170
Master of SI:7