Types of meat
Meat items come in two types: consumables and ingredients. Consumable meat can be eaten by player characters and certain hunter pets; when eaten by a player character, consumable meat restores health and (depending on the item) can grant a well fed buff. Meat ingredients are a type of trade good and cannot be eaten by player characters without first being turned into consumables through cooking. Most meat-eating hunter pets can eat meat ingredients.
Some items have meat-themed names and visuals, but do not actually function as meat. These are often quest items such as or . There are also two maces, purchasable with Darkmoon Faire Tickets, that resemble legs of meat: and .
Raw meatThe subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade introduced raw meat as a food type that could be eaten by Dragonhawks, Nether Rays, Ravagers, and Serpents. Raw meat was separate from uncooked meat ingredients; it included items like and , allowing hunters to make use of them despite their usual status as vendor trash.
- Player characters can eat meat to recover health. Many cooked meat items also provide a well fed buff.
- Hunters can feed meat to certain pets; some of the more popular pets eat only meat.
- Many meat items are used as ingredients for foods that can be created by cooking.
- Looted from dead humanoid mobs.
- Looted from chests.
- Purchased from meat vendors.
- Created by cooking.
- Occasionally received as quest rewards.
- Can be purchased on the auction house.
- Commonly looted from animal mobs, especially beasts.
- Can be purchased cheaply on the auction house.
- See also: Meat vendor