|Sources: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm|
Merciless ones, also called zoatroids, are octopus-like cyclopean parasitic aberrations related to the Old Gods, primarily found alongside the naga forces in Vashj'ir. They are capable of attaching themselves to (and/or devouring) the heads of sapient beings in order to enslave them. Their psionic abilities appear to come from an psychic organ they are born with. They have beaks. Apparently they are also quite smelly. They are the children of Ozumat.
Shadow priests, known for utilizing the powers of the Old Gods and the Void, can temporarily summon a merciless one through the talent.
In the present, the merciless ones were first seen during , where they were recruiting/possessing gilgoblins for the assault on the Abyssal Maw. Following Neptulon's capture in , Erunak Stonespeaker was abducted by the naga and enslaved by the merciless one Mindbender Ghur'sha within the Throne of the Tides. In the Twilight Highlands, the giant merciless one Julak-Doom is controlling a flesh giant.
During the Blood War, a great many merciless were seen in the service of Queen Azshara and N'Zoth during Nazjatar storyline. Called "zoatroids," they are bred in massive numbers in two locations: The Chamber of the Harvesters in the deep tunnels of northern Nazjatar and watched over by the Shirakess naga, and The Hatchery which is protected by the massive merciless known as Orgozoa.
|Julak-Doom <The Eye of Zor>||Controlling a flesh giant in the Twilight Highlands||Killable||Twilight Highlands|
|Mindbender Ghur'sha||Controlling Erunak Stonespeaker in the Throne of the Tides||Killable||Abyssal Halls, Throne of the Tides|
|Orgozoa||Protecting merciless hatchery in the Eternal Palace||Killable||Eternal Palace|
- Amorphic Cognitor
- Deep Subjugator
- Infesting Mindeater
- Jiao Spawn
- Lesser Zoatroid
- Parasitic Mindstealer
- Merciless Aberration
- Merciless One
- Sunken Terror
- Zoatroid (Nazjatar)
- Zoatroid (Eternal Palace)
- Zoatroid Harvester
As a companion pet
- Main article: Syd the Squid
Notes and trivia
- While the merciless ones have been referred to as "demon squids" and described as "demonic", there is no other evidence pointing to a connection to true demons, and it's most likely just intended as a simple descriptive term.
- The Parasitoid Sha use the merciless one model and share the ability to attach themselves to their victims' heads, but are considered to be sha nonetheless.
- The merciless ones resemble unarmored Daleks from the popular British science-fiction program Doctor Who.
- The merciless ones may be related to the n'raqi or "faceless ones", another ancient aquatic species loyal to the Old Gods.
- Due to their physical similarities, they may also be related to the squid-like kraken. Ozumat, a kraken patriarch enslaved by the naga, attached himself to the head of Neptulon to enslave him, and is therefore thought to be an enormous merciless one. The spawn of the kraken Jiao are also merciless ones (besides using the same model, they share the merciless' telekinesis).