Merely a setback
Merely a setback is a catch phrase originated by Kael'thas Sunstrider in Magisters' Terrace. It has become a common utterance and a sort of running gag whenever there is the perception that a boss who was previously defeated is merely being recycled, and has appeared multiple times in World of Warcraft as a result.
List of NPCs using the quote
- Kael'thas Sunstrider in Magisters' Terrace yells Don't look so smug! I know what you're thinking, but Tempest Keep was merely a setback.
- Prince Valanar in Icecrown Citadel yells Naxxanar was merely a setback!
- Sylvanas Windrunner in says You can assure Garrosh that this is a minor setback. Our victory in Gilneas will be absolute.
- Hogger in the Stockades yells Forest just setback!
- Crusader Lord Valdelmar in Tyr's Hand yells The Scarlet Crusade is not over! Undeath is merely a setback!
- Before shattering Thrall into the four elemental essences, Fandral Staghelm says Not so fast, Son of Durotan. You and your allies have certainly set us back. But the Hour of Twilight CANNOT be averted!
- Analynn in Ashenvale when defeated says You do not understand. I have not been defeated, merely set back.
- The announcer of the Brawler's Guild introduces Millhouse Manastorm by saying We have a special guest today: the always-endearing, ever-resilient, Millhouse Manastorm! Stonecore was merely a setback!
- Upon freeing Izal Whitemoon during , she says A slight setback. I assure you it will not happen again.
- Raimond Mildenhall at the Mildenhall Meadery during says Ha ha! Don't worry my dear Ancel, it's merely a setback! We'll be back up and running in no time.
- Taelia upon completion of the world quest says This could have been a huge loss for the Proudmoore Guard. Thanks to you, it was merely a setback.
List of setbacks
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
- Dar'Khan Drathir three times. Once in the Sunwell Trilogy, once again in Blood of the Highborne, and once more in Deatholme.
- Kael'thas Sunstrider in Tempest Keep and Magisters' Terrace
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content related to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Archmage Arugal in Shadowfang Keep and Bloodmoon Isle
- Baron Rivendare in Stratholme and Naxxramas
- Kel'Thuzad in the original and new Naxxramas
- Anub'arak in Azjol-Nerub and Trial of the Crusader
- Onyxia in her original, her new lair and Blackwing Descent
- Prince Keleseth in Utgarde Keep and Icecrown Citadel
- Prince Valanar in Naxxanar and Icecrown Citadel
- Prince Taldaram in Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom and Icecrown Citadel
- Rimefang in the Pit of Saron and Icecrown Citadel
- Zalazane in the Echo Isles
- Sicco Thermaplugg in Gnomeregan
- Princess Theradras in Maraudon and during the Elemental Unrest
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
- Hogger in Elwynn Forest and Stormwind Stockade
- Crusader Lord Valdelmar in Tyr's Hand
- Ranger Lord Renthar Hawkspear in Eastern Plaguelands
- Malor the Zealous in the original and new Stratholme as Commander Malor
- Crimson Hammersmith in the original and new Stratholme as the Risen Hammersmith
- Cannon Master Willey in the original and new Stratholme as Willey Hopebreaker
- Archivist Galford in the original and new Stratholme as Instructor Galford
- Balnazzar in the original and new Stratholme
- Baron Geddon in Molten Core and the Circle of Cinders
- Garr in Molten Core and near Sulfuron Spire
- Ragnaros in Molten Core, the Inner Spire and the Firelands
- Nefarian in Blackwing Lair and Blackwing Descent where he yells Oh, I do hope this 'raid' will amuse me more than the last!
- Sintharia in Night of the Dragon and the Bastion of Twilight
- High Priest Venoxis in the original and new Zul'Gurub
- Bloodlord Mandokir in the original and new Zul'Gurub
- Zanzil the Outcast in Stranglethorn Vale and Zul'Gurub
- Jin'do in the original and new Zul'Gurub
- Akil'zon in the original and new Zul'Aman
- Nalorakk in the original and new Zul'Aman
- Jan'alai in the original and new Zul'Aman
- Halazzi in the original and new Zul'Aman
- Hex Lord Malacrass in the original and new Zul'Aman
Mists of Pandaria
This section concerns content related to Mists of Pandaria.
- Bloodmage Thalnos in the original and new Scarlet Monastery
- High Inquisitor Sally Whitemane in the original and new Scarlet Monastery
- Jandice Barov in the original and new Scholomance
- Rattlegore in the original and new Scholomance
- Darkmaster Gandling in the original and new Scholomance
- James Vishas in the original Scarlet Monastery and the Brawler's Guild
- Millhouse Manastorm in the Stonecore and the Brawler's Guild
- Gara'jal the Spiritbinder in the Mogu'shan Vaults and the Throne of Thunder
- High Priestess Mar'li in the original Zul'Gurub and the Throne of Thunder
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content related to Warlords of Draenor.
- Garrosh Hellscream in the Siege of Orgrimmar and at the Stones of Prophecy
- Teron'gor in Auchindoun and in Hellfire Citadel as Gorefiend
- Shadow-Sage Iskar in Spires of Arak and in Hellfire Citadel as Shadow-Lord Iskar
- Socrethar in Talador and in Hellfire Citadel as Socrethar the Eternal
- Patch 6.2 PTR, Mannoroth's Hellfire Citadel placeholder Adventure Guide entry read: "[PH] Don't look so smug - I know what you're thinking, but the cinematic was merely a setback." During the
- Archimonde in Hyjal Summit and in Hellfire Citadel
This section concerns content related to Legion.
- Gul'dan in Hellfire Citadel and the Nighthold
- Illidan Stormrage in the Black Temple and the Nighthold
- Xavius in Stormrage and Val'sharah
- Cordana Felsong in Talador and the Vault of the Wardens
- King Ymiron in Utgarde Pinnacle and the Maw of Souls as Ymiron, the Fallen King
- Helya in Maw of Souls and Trial of Valor
- Despite popular belief, Kael'thas was not the first character to use the catchphrase. It was actually Illidan Stormrage during the Alliance Campaign finale - Kil'jaeden's Command in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Illidan explained his failed attempt to destroy the Lich King with these words:
- "Kil'jaeden! I was merely set back. I was attempting to bolster my forces. The Lich King will be destroyed, I promise you!"
- The phrase has carried over into other Blizzard games. In StarCraft II, a mission in the campaign features a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid that repeatedly spawns and attacks the player. One of the quotes he utters upon killing one of his incarnations is "merely a temporary setback".
- The phrase is also referenced in Smokywood Pastures Presents: A Winter Veil Carol.
- In Heroes of the Storm, when your character is killed for the first time as part of the tutorial, Uther will tell them that "death is merely a setback." In addition to this, Kael'thas makes a variety of references to the phrase, including simply stating "Merely a setback" upon being resurrected after death.
- When Deathlord Nazgrim is summoned by Uther of the Ebon Blade's Hero Power in Hearthstone: Knights of the Frozen Throne, he will proclaim that "Death was merely a setback!"
- The achievement is a reference to the meme.