We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Mind Sear is a level 26 channeled Shadow priest AoE damage ability. While channeled, it causes Shadow damage every 0.75 seconds to all enemies within 10 yards of the target, and generates Insanity for every target hit.
- Searing Dialogue - Causes Mind Sear to deal additional damage to enemies suffering from your , and slows them by 30%.
- Thought Harvester - Damage from has a chance to increase the damage of your next Mind Sear by 150%.
- Previously, Mind Sear had an "Eye of the Storm" effect, damaging surrounding enemies but not the target itself. Mind Sear now affects the target itself in addition to surrounding enemies. However Mind Sear will not damage friendly targets, although it can be channeled on them normally.
- Mind Sear can be channeled on friendly targets, without causing damage to them. This includes friendly players and their pets and minions, some NPCs, and enemy players, pets and minions while inside a Sanctuary.
- Mind Sear cannot be cast upon yourself, or non-combat pets.
- Since the 10 yard AoE range is centered on the target, this spell can be used to damage enemies up to 50 yards away.
- As a channeled effect, Haste will increase the rate at which Mind Sear deals damage, but will not add ticks.
Tips and tactics
- As a channeled spell, if the target dies, the spell will stop. When using Mind Sear to damage a group of enemies, it may therefore be best to cast it on a target with higher health (or superior defenses) than the surrounding enemies, ensuring that it is the last to die. If the target dies before the other enemies, the priest will have to find another target to cast it on.
- Be careful when using Mind Sear around non-hostile targets; the AoE effect will cause damage to every possible target, and can easily pull-in adds, turning a mana-efficient grind into a sudden priest-bashing party.
- Mind Sear is generally not an efficient choice of attack unless it can deal damage to at least 3 targets. With fewer than 3 targets, should be used instead. The exception to this is when casting Mind Sear under the effect of Thought Harvester.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Damage increased by 20%.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Re-added.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Removed.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 26 (was 28).
- Hotfix (2016-09-26): "Mind Sear damage increased by 80% and Insanity generation increased by 50%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available only to Shadow and generates Insanity. Damage increased by 823%. Mana cost removed.
- Hotfix (2014-10-16): "Damage increased by 10%."
- Hotfix (2012-10-12): "Mind Sear now deals 25% more damage."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Range increased from 35 yd to 40 yd.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Mind Sear damage has been doubled. In addition, it now causes damage to target if unfriendly, not just surrounding enemies. Can no longer be self-cast.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Can now be channeled on friendly targets in addition to enemy targets. In addition, Mind Sear's damage has been increased by roughly 15%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Range increased to 35 yd., up from 30 yd.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.