- While in this form, you can only cast Balance spells and .
- Moonkin is one of only two shapeshift forms in which a druid can deal weapon damage (the other is Tree of Life Form). In feral forms, damage dealt is feral, not weapon damage.
- You cannot ride certain mounts while in Moonkin Form. You will also need to remove Moonkin Form in order to use a flight path; unlike the other forms, talking to a Flight Master NPC will not force the Druid out of Moonkin Form.
- There are a few places where change of appearance can allow you to ride mounts in Moonkin Form, such as places were you get the fel orc costume, or vehicles in Ulduar. Shifting into Moonkin Form will not change your appearance, just give you the bonuses to Armor and Crit, and it is possible to mount. Leaving such an area will not dismount you but you will gain your moonkin appearance, making you a mounted moonkin. This same trick can be done in Wetlands with the Cursed Sailors.
- When in Moonkin Form the druid dances exactly like when using the and the .
- Players have given the Moonkin Form many nicknames. These are normally short and end with -kin; some of them are: Boomkin, a moonkin druid with a high damage output; Oomkin, a moonkin with poor mana regen; Doomkin, a good PvP moonkin (rarely used); noob/newbkin, a bad/inexperienced moonkin druid; and Panzerkin, a tanking moonkin. Sometimes these nicknames are used to describe a particular druid, but most of the time players use them as a general term. Many moonkin druids find some of these nicknames insulting.
- changes the visual look of the Moonkin Form, replacing it with a translucent version of the caster form surrounded by falling stars. The effect is purely cosmetic and does not affect any game mechanics.
Tauren Moonkin Form, also used for Highmountain tauren prior to patch 8.1.0.
Night elf Moonkin Form.
Worgen Moonkin Form.
Troll Moonkin Form.
Zandalari troll Moonkin Form.
Kul Tiran Moonkin Form.
Moonkin Form as it appears as a Astral Form with Glyph of Stars.
Cerwyn, a night elf druid.
Skymistress Taranna, a tauren druid (although she looks like a night elf moonkin).
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Highmountain tauren Moonkin Form now has moose antlers
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25):
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now causes single-target attacks against the druid to have a 15% chance make their next damaging spell instant. Armor bonus increased to 200% (up from 100%), but no longer increases Mastery.
- Patch 6.1.0 (2015-02-24): No longer removed upon interacting with the flight master.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now grants increased Mastery instead of 5% to Spell Haste.
- Hotfix (2014-01-08): "Moonkin Form now increases the Druid's armor by 100% (up from 60%)."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now increases the Druid's armor by 60%, but no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now reduces all damage taken by 15%, instead of increasing armor.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This form now also reduces the damage the druid takes while stunned by 15%.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Mana cost reduced.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): can now be used in Moonkin Form.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14):
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): can now be used in Moonkin Form.
- Patch 2.0.10 (2007-03-06): The armor bonus from "Moonkin Form" has been increased from 360% to 400% (to match ).
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05):
- Now increases the druid's attack power by 150% of their level.
- While in Moonkin Form, the druid's melee attacks have a chance to trigger Elune's Touch, which regenerates mana based on attack power.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Added.