- "Why walk when you can run."
- — Every Non-Roleplayer
World of Warcraft includes two default movement speeds, which can be toggled using the NUM PAD "/" button:
- Run (7 yards or meters per second) – Considered the default move speed as all characters are created set to this speed.
- Walk (2.5 yd or m/sec, 35.7% of run speed) – Confers no other in game effects, and hence only used for roleplaying or precision, such as positioning one's self without falling off a cliff. While walking is enabled, ground mounts and grounded flying mounts will move at walk speed too.
- Takes 5.71 seconds to run 40 yards/40 meters at 100% speed, 40/5.71 = 7 yd/s.
- Takes 16 seconds to walk 40 yards/40 meters, 40/16 = 2.5 yd/sec.
- You will see yards or meters depending on your game client's locale. enUS will use "yards", other locals will use "meters". These are the same unit, namely 1.0 map units.
List of speeds (trivia)
- Walking (35.7%) - 2.5 yd/s | 5.11 mph | 2.5 m/s | 5.11 km/h
- Running (100%) - 7 yd/s | 14.32 mph | 7 m/s | 14.32 km/h
- Apprentice Riding (160%) - 11.2 yd/s | 22.91 mph | 11.2 m/s | 22.91 km/h
- Journeyman Riding (200%) - 14 yd/s | 28.64 mph | 14 m/s | 26.64 km/h
- Expert Riding (flying 250%) - 17.5 yd/s | 35.8 mph | 17.5 m/s | 35.8 km/h
- Artisan Riding (flying 380%) - 26.6 yd/s | 54.41 mph | 26.6 m/s | 54.41 km/h
- Master Riding (flying 410%) - 28.7 yd/s | 58.7 mph | 28.7 m/s | 58.7 km/h
- Every 1% is 0.07 yd/s | 0.14 mph | 0.07 m/s | 0.14 km/h
- Note that these are all rounded up to two decimals. And if used for math, will be slightly off than using all of the decimals available.
Increasing movement speed
Some fun information regarding the in-game size of some of the continents!
If flying in a straight line from the Wild Shore in Stranglethorn Vale with Master Riding (310% flying speed), it takes (give or take) ~17 minutes and 41 seconds to reach Sunstrider Isle. However, flying is prohibited in Ghostlands and Eversong Woods.
Thus, the Eastern Kingdoms (in-game) is a whopping... 0.003% of Africa's entire length.
If flying in a straight line from the balcony in Neferset City in Uldum with Master Riding (310% flying speed), it takes (give or take) ~16 minutes and 58 seconds to reach Frostsaber Rock in Winterspring. However, Teldrassil is not a part of the continent, and is thus excluded.
This means, in the game, the Kalimdor continent is only around (excluding Teldrassil) 25,246 yards long (23 kilometers). To put that in perspective, Africa is ~8,000 kilometers in length.
Thus, Kalimdor (in-game) is a whopping... 0.0028% of Africa's entire length.
Decreasing movement speed
Daze chance depends on level.
- Gray mobs (5-10+ levels below player) having a 0% chance.
- Green mobs (4-9 levels below player) having a 10% chance.
- Yellow mobs (2 levels above/below player) having a 20% chance.
- Orange mobs (3-4 levels above player) having a 30% chance.
- Red mobs (4+ levels above player) having a 40% chance.
The speed is no longer shown in your character profile window as of Patch 7.0.1 without the use of an addon such as DejaCharacterStats. Although it can still be measured by macros (for example with /run print(GetUnitSpeed("target") / 7 * 100); -command) and addons (such as MonkeySpeed).