Because mutilate attacks with both weapons, both attacks have a chance to crit. The crit chance for an additional combo point is 2 x Crit - Crit2.
The formula to calculate Mutilate damage is (corrected regarding offhand damage, see note at end):
Offhand Reduction = 0.5 Average Weapon Damage = (Weapon Minimum Damage + Weapon Maximum Damage) / 2 Modifier = (Attack Power / 14) * 1.7 Base Damage = Average Weapon Damage + Modifier Mainhand Base Damage = Base Damage + Mutilate Bonus Damage Mainhand Damage = Mainhand Base Damage Mainhand Critical Damage = Mainhand Damage * 2 Offhand Base Damage = (Base Damage * Offhand Reduction) + (Mutilate Bonus Damage) Offhand Damage = Offhand Base Damage Offhand Critical Damage = Offhand Damage * 2 Minimum Mutilate Damage = Mainhand Damage + Offhand Damage Maximum Mutilate Damage = Mainhand Critical Damage + Offhand Critical Damage
The formula above has been changed to reflect what actually happens regarding offhand damage. Previously, the Mutilate Bonus Damage was listed as being reduced by the offhand penalty. However, it is in fact not reduced by the offhand penalty.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-02-03): "Damage increased by 4%."
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now deals 30% more damage.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 280% weapon damage (up from 200%).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Weapon damage increased from 179% to 200%. Bonus damage increased.
- Hotfix (2011-08-04): "Mutilate should now properly trigger trinkets."
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Changed from a talented ability to the Primary ability of the Assassination Tree.
- Hotfix (2009-02-18): "The Rogue ability Mutilate now does its appropriate damage based on talents."
- Patch 3.0.9 (2009-02-10): Damage will now do 20% increased damage against poisoned targets, down from 50%.
- Patch 2.4.2 (2008-05-13): Will no longer incorrectly appear multiple times in the combat log when used.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22):