An NPC (Non-Player Character) is any character you encounter and interact with in World of Warcraft that is not controlled by other human players — they are generated and controlled by the game server. NPCs are either neutral or affiliated with a particular faction ( Alliance or Horde). You cannot attack NPCs of your faction and you must be "at war" (set in Reputation tab of your character sheet) with a neutral NPC's faction to attack them.
- Pointers for buying or selling:
- in range to buy/sell out of range
- Pointers for talking:
- in range to talk out of range
- Other types of NPCs (flight masters, innkeepers, quest givers, trainers, etc.) may have different pointer icons when you mouse over them.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2014-10-20): "[Requires a realm restart.] Resolved an issue where damage-over-time effects applied by an NPC or creature that have despawned can deal an excessive amount of damage."