|Race||Night elf (Humanoid)|
|Affiliation(s)||Cenarion Circle, Disciples of Naralex|
|Occupation||Archdruid, Leader of the Disciples of Naralex, Champion of the Cenarion Circle|
|Student(s)||Disciples of Naralex|
He intended to use the Emerald Dream to restore the Barrens to the lush forest they once was; however, once he connected to the Dream the Emerald Nightmare overwhelmed him. Most of his disciples were driven insane and formed the Druids of the Fang. He was eventually saved by a group of adventurers and one of his last disciples, Muyoh. Following the Cataclysm, a massive Overgrowth started spreading in the Southern Barrens as a result of Naralex's actions, and he now works to stop the influence of the Nightmare before the Overgrowth chokes out all-natural life in the area.
Curse of the Worgen
World of Warcraft
Naralex discovered the existence of the Wailing Caverns and intended to use the Caverns to bring back the Barrens' beauty and lushness, through connecting to the Emerald Dream. Accompanied by the Disciples of Naralex, he managed to bring forth enough water from deep below to create a handful of small oases. However, once Naralex connected with the Emerald Dream, something went wrong and the Wailing Caverns changed into a monstrous environment, corrupting the waters and creatures within. His companions were corrupted into the Druids of the Fang, evil versions of themselves with no desire other than to spread the darkness. Trapped in the Emerald Dream, Naralex slept in the deeps of the Wailing Caverns, moving back and forth between madness and sanity. He was finally rescued by a party of adventurers and one of his last disciples, Muyoh.
Muyoh waking Naralex, as seen in the TCG.
While his mind was again more or less whole, Naralex could recall nothing of what had taken him and the others. As for the Barrens, although they were at present quiet, on the orders of Fandral Staghelm neither he nor any other druids had as of yet returned there. The archdruid saw no point in risking lives and energies for a place that had been made into a desert. As Fandral saw it, even arid places had their place in the purpose of Azeroth.
At the start of the War Against the Nightmare, Naralex worked with many other druids to heal Teldrassil, unknowingly corrupting it even further. It is revealed that Naralex is a friend of Hamuul Runetotem, Broll Bearmantle and Elerethe Renferal. Naralex discovered the truth about Fandral's corruption and told it to Hamuul. Together they ventured to Darnassus to warn Shandris Feathermoon, though the trio was silenced by traitorous Fandral. The trio was later found by Malfurion Stormrage who released them, though Naralex was far more wounded than Shandris and Broll.
After the War against the Nightmare was over, he was healed from his wounds and one of many to witness the wedding of Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion.
During the events of Cataclysm, his work paid off, and areas of the Barrens became lush and green. Adventurers helped him seal off the Nightmare corruption in the Overgrowth.
Dawn of the Aspects
The Cenarion Circle planned to move the bulk of its forces to the Dreamgrove in Val'sharah, the ancient forest where Cenarius taught Malfurion, in order to combat the return of the Burning Legion. Hamuul, Malfurion, Naralex, Zen'tabra, Remulos and a druid hero opened a portal to the Emerald Dream at the Stormrage Barrow Dens, allowing their forces to move swiftly over vast distances.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|The Dreamgrove||100 - 110||897,396|
|The Exodar||100 - 110||660,376|
- Naralex yells: I AM AWAKE, AT LAST!
- Muyoh says: At last! Naralex awakes from the nightmare.
- Naralex says: Ah, to be pulled from the dreaded nightmare! I thank you, my loyal Disciple, along with your brave companions.
- Naralex says: We must go and gather with the other Disciples. There is much work to be done before I can make another attempt to restore the Barrens. Farewell, brave souls!
- As Druids, we are tasked with protecting the balance of nature. My life's work has gone against this. In my folly, I have sewn chaos, and this deviant crop must be reaped before it spreads further.
- What happened here?
- Did you know that the Barrens was once a lush forest? Thousands of years ago, before the first Sundering, it was verdant and thriving, watched over by the Kaldorei. But when the continents were torn apart, and this land became separated as what we call Kalimdor, this valley of nature became a harsh, sun-scorched plain.
When I first learned this, I saw it as a great tragedy. I decided I would find a way to regrow the forests once more.
- While studying the land, I discovered a cave that stretched deep beneath the earth. These waterways carried underground rivers for miles beneath the parched savannah above. I named them the Wailing Caverns, for the howls made by the wind and steam as they coursed through its depths.
This would be the instrument of revival, I thought. The water had already bubbled to the surface as small, lush oases throughout the Barrens...if it were imbued, enhanced, this growth could spread across the entire land.
- So what did you do?
- My plan was to connect these underground waters directly to the Emerald Dream itself. With my faithful disciples, I journeyed deep within the Wailing Caverns, settled into meditation, and entered the Dream. Through my own body, this world was connected to it.
It was there that everything went wrong.
- What happened?
- I came upon what I can only describe as an overwhelming corruption within the Emerald Dream. An unending nightmare that seized me in its claws and tore at my very mind. I could not break free of its grasp; my disciples were unable to wake me.
Whatever this corruption was, it found its way into our world through my body. I did indeed channel its energies into the Wailing Caverns, and its horrible influence twisted the wildlife there into chaotic, deviate forms. Even my disciples were affected; their minds overcome by the madness and savagery, they took on the forms of serpents, and called themselves the Druids of the Fang.
- How did you escape?
- I was saved by my last disciple, Muyoh, and a band of adventurers. I considered the entire incident a failure. It wasn't until the Cataclysm occurred that I realized I'd been far too successful!
When the Barrens was cracked apart, a great font of underground water was breached and flowed up to the surface, full of the energies it was imbued with in the Wailing Caverns. Life immediately sprung from the earth around it, and the animals thrived...and then it continued to grow, uncontrollably, unchecked.
Now I have to answer for my arrogance in thinking I could dictate the flow and shape of nature myself. This overgrowth must be stopped, before it chokes out the natural wildlife entirely.
- Main article: Call of the Wilds#Notes
- Main article: The Scythe of Elune#Notes
- Main article: Join the Dreamer#Notes
- Main article: In Deep Slumber#Notes
- Main article: Reconvene#Notes
- Main article: Champion: Naralex (quest)#Notes
- Main article: Dire Growth#Notes
- I've watched you rise up the ranks for a long time, <name>. With you leading our order, I know we are in good hands. Count me as one of your champions, Archdruid.
- My life for Kalimdor.
- I'm awake. For now.
- The balance must be restored.
- We will protect the wilds.
- [Yawn] Just let me go back to sleep.
- May your dreams be peaceful.
- Elune's light watch over you.
- Goodbye. For now.
- This too shall pass.
- Sleep now!
- You cannot resist. Sleep!
- Hush now... The Dream beckons!
Notes and trivia
- As seen in , his travel form is a moose.
- Naralex is voiced by Greg Chun in Legion.