Champion of the Banshee Queen,
|Class||Ranger, Hunter, Dark ranger, Marksman|
|Former affiliation(s)||Farstriders, Quel'Thalas, Alliance of Lordaeron, Scourge, Orgrimmar|
|Occupation||Champion of the Banshee Queen, Ranger Lord of the Forsaken|
|Former occupation(s)||Ranger Lord of the Farstriders|
Nathanos Blightcaller (born Nathanos Marris) is the champion and bodyguard of the Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, and a teacher of new Forsaken hunters. In life, Nathanos was the first and only human "ranger lord," trained by the high elves of Quel'Thalas, and was close to Sylvanas Windrunner. He died and became undead during the Third War, joining Sylvanas's rogue Forsaken shortly afterward. As Nathanos Blightcaller, he would stand in the Eastern Plaguelands, battling the Alliance heroes sent to kill him and faking his death. Recently, his body was restored with the help of Sylvanas's val'kyr and now serves his liege with renewed strength.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Relationship with Sylvanas
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Relatives
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The Ranger Lord
In life, Nathanos Marris was trained by the high elves in the ways of war, and was admitted to the elven Farstriders. Nathanos's accomplishments were unprecedented. He was a tactical genius, responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict. Nathanos Marris was the first and only human ranger as well as the only human ranger lord, the highest rank in the Farstriders' hierarchy below ranger-general, appointed as such by Ranger-General Sylvanas Windrunner.
His inclusion in the ranks of the ranger lords was not without its conflicts. Nathanos was on the receiving end of prejudice from his elven comrades, many of whom objected to the presence of a human in their ranks. Halduron Brightwing and Renthar Hawkspear both argued against his inclusion in their ranks, and Nathanos had a particular animosity with Sylvanas's second-in-command, Lor'themar Theron, who claimed Nathanos felt intimidated by the elven rangers; Nathanos believed he could match Theron shot-for-shot. Kael'thas Sunstrider, the crown prince of Quel'Thalas (who was rumored to have sought Sylvanas's hand in marriage) also opposed the appointment, but Sylvanas insisted on it anyway, impressed with Nathanos's ability and believing that the high elves must practice tolerance with the outside world. Still, Nathanos felt unwelcome in the ancient city of the elves and tired of their politics, instead choosing to reside in his native Lordaeron, at his childhood home. As a Ranger Lord, Nathanos owed allegiance to Silvermoon, and was obligated to fight in its defense should the elves demand it. Sylvanas frequently visited him at the stead, officially to hear his reports, but rumor spread throughout the Farstriders - and the elven kingdom at large - that Sylvanas had been continuing a romantic relationship with her human pupil. Nathanos worried that these rumors would negatively impact Sylvanas, who required the goodwill of her compatriots as ranger-general.
Sylvanas visited Nathanos at the Marris Stead shortly before the onset of the Second War. She spoke to him of a potential invasion of Quel'Thalas from the Old Horde, and met Nathanos's young cousin, Stephon Marris. Before leaving, Sylvanas spent the night at the stead.
Death and freedom
After the fall of Stratholme, the Scourge swept over the once-great nation of Lordaeron, killing all in its path and raising the fallen as cadaverous undead. Despite his great skill, Nathanos Marris fell as well at his house, murdered by the abomination Ramstein the Gorger. Nathanos rose as a mindless thrall of the Scourge, bound to the will of the Lich King, spreading the plague of undeath through the kingdom of his birth. Somehow though, deep in his soul, he knew that Sylvanas would come for him, and she did.
Sylvanas had been freed from Arthas's grasp during the Plaguelands civil war, and scoured Lordaeron for signs of Nathanos. When she found her old disciple, he had been reduced to a pitiful sight, a decaying slave feasting on corpses of his own making. Nathanos did not immediately recognize her, and attempted to attack her with the unending rage filling the void in his soul, but was fettered by dark ranger arrows while Sylvanas called him to his senses. Sylvanas tore Nathanos free from the Lich King's will and told her disheveled former pupil of the plight of the Forsaken. She named Nathanos her champion, in their quest to avenge themselves upon Arthas. After he was freed by Sylvanas, Nathanos hunted Ramstein the Gorger across the Plaguelands for months until the abomination fled to the safety of Stratholme.
In death, Nathanos retained the deep loyalty he had felt towards Sylvanas in life. Were she to perish at the end of their quest, he knew he would happily follow her.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
Nathanos resided at his old home, the Marris Stead in the Eastern Plaguelands with his pet blighthounds on the banshee queen's orders. There he recruited Horde soldiers to fight against corrupted animals (such as plaguebats), the Scourge, and the Scarlet Crusaders of Tyr's Hand.
Nathanos collected relics from the battle of Darrowshire, for unknown reasons. He kept them in his home. Nathanos appeared to be secretive regarding personal details of his former life, even sending Horde adventurers to retrieve the Quel'Thalas Registry that contained his file. He made sure to inform adventurers that the registry was not to be read. Nathanos took a special pleasure in tormenting the lodge's elven residents, his former comrades, who had scorned him even while alive.
Nathanos's death did not go unnoticed, nor did the fact that a body had never been found. Master Mathias Shaw, head of SI:7 - the Stormwind intelligence agency - received some disturbing reports of unusual Forsaken activity in the Eastern Plaguelands, and sent five agents to investigate. Only one of those agents returned, babbling incoherently about "Nathanos" and the word "Blightcaller." He died in his sleep just days after his return, and Alliance adventurers were asked to go investigate their disappearance. The only thing SI:7 had to go on was that Nathanos Marris may have been slain by this "Blightcaller," but the truth was far less pleasant. After investigating the grounds around the Marris Stead, adventurers uncovered the ugly reality - Nathanos was the Blightcaller, now a champion of the Banshee Queen.
Once it was determined that Nathanos was the Blightcaller, King Varian Wrynn and Bolvar Fordragon enlisted Alliance adventurers to gather an army and destroy him. Nathanos, however, managed to survive this through faking death.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
After surviving the Alliance assassination attempt on his life, Nathanos decided to reside in the War Quarter of the Undercity, where he trained Forsaken rangers. The quests he gave are now given by other NPCs.
Nathanos has been training a new generation of Forsaken rangers, representing both their past and their future.
Nathanos was the only person Sylvanas confided in regarding her experience atop Icecrown following the Lich King's defeat. Nathanos knew that should Sylvanas ever find herself facing that damnation again, he would gladly end his own undeath to face it at her side. Part of him hoped for it.
As the Legion began invading Azeroth, Sylvanas called Nathanos to partake in a ritual meant to make him stronger. He agreed to take part, though not before attempting to provoke her. When he discovered that the ritual would involve the val'kyr sacrificing his cousin Stephon Marris, he felt no regret, only the duty bound oath he had made towards Sylvanas. The val'kyr proceeded to place herself between the human and the undead and began chanting guttural words in an ancient tongue, flashes of blue and gold pulsing from her hands. Nathanos lost his senses for a time, his world exploding in fire and pain. When the Blightcaller's wits returned, he found that he had been transformed to become stronger than before and not be as decayed and withered as he had been. However, upon looking into a mirror, he noticed that his new face was not entirely his own. He then noticed that the second ritual table was empty save for a bit of ash and oily residue stains. Sylvanas directed Dark Ranger Anya to escort her champion to the armory to see him outfitted in a manner that befit his station. Along the way, Anya implied to Nathanos that Sylvanas had feelings for her champion, a notion that the Blightcaller disagreed with, as he personally felt that whatever emotion his mortal heart might have held, now it had room only for rage and contempt. After picking out a green and gray mix of mail and leather, a clean and well-maintained breastplate caught his eye and caused him to reflect back to the ritual and to the empty altar next to his. For the briefest of moments, Nathanos felt regret.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
Following the death of Vol'jin, Nathanos and the other dark rangers are seen protecting Sylvanas, the new warchief of the Horde. He fought against the demons when they were revealed by the newly-accepted Illidari.
Nathanos issued summons to the Horde champion on behalf of Sylvanas and led them to the Forsaken fleet approaching Stormheim. Predictably, Nathanos retained his dry humor and low regard for most of the figures he crosses paths with (particularly the worgen, whom he writes off as "beasts"), save of course for Sylvanas. He is accompanied by his pet bat, Bloodwing.
When the Alliance led by Genn Greymane and Sky Admiral Rogers took the chance to bombard the Forsaken fleet, Nathanos made his queen's safety his first priority, but was ordered to take the fleet on the offensive. He led the Forsaken forces in a counterattack against the 7th Legion and worgen troops. The Blightcaller and his men boarded the Skyfire and caused havoc in the hull, planting vials of blight to take it apart from within. Nathanos battled Greymane on the ship's deck, and was unimpressed with his opponent until he goaded Genn into assuming his worgen form. Nathanos gained the upper hand and managed to wound Greymane (Horde version), but the battle abruptly ended with the destruction of the Skyfire, which plummeted down into Stormheim. Nathanos and Greymane survived, although Nathanos's face became "even uglier" than it was before.
Nathanos took command of the Forsaken stragglers, and led his rangers in a ruthless hunt across the region to locate Sylvanas. He was certain the queen survived, and sought bloody revenge on the Alliance forces remaining in the area. With the help of the champion, Nathanos was able to discover that Sylvanas safely escaped, but did not wish to be pursued. Respecting the Dark Lady's wishes, Nathanos turned his attention to claiming the , though he ultimately left the quest to Horde adventurers after reuniting with his master in Dreadwake's Landing.
When a Horde player reaches Prestige Rank 2, Nathanos can be found in the Undercity alongside other notable leaders of the Horde. During , he is present at the ceremony hosted by Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner that congratulates the character for their battles against the Alliance, following their receiving of the from the warchief, as well as an artifact appearance.
When Sargeras, lord of the Burning Legion, was defeated, he stabbed Azeroth in Silithus. Soon after the Bilgewater Cartel discovered a new material at the wound called Azerite. Nathanos sent Horde adventurers to meet with the goblins in Silithus, and oversaw the fighting at the Seething Shore from an unnamed gunship.
Soon later, he arrived to the Orgrimmar Embassy with the other leaders.
Before the Storm
As Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner's stalwart champion and bodyguard, Nathanos relayed to Sylvanas the ongoings of the Undercity. Nathanos reported that while many were proud that a Forsaken has been crowned warchief, others resented that she had forgotten those who were loyal to her in order to attend to the needs of other Horde races. As Sylvanas paraded with a diverse contingent of Horde races on their way to the celebration feast, Nathanos elaborated that she left a power vacuum behind in the undeads' capital, and the Desolate Council was created as an interim government to attend to the Undercity's needs. Word has also reached the Undercity of Sylvanas' efforts to create more val'kyr in Stormheim and how her plans were foiled by Genn Greymane. The Desolate Council has reservations about her actions and has requested an audience with her to speak of disagreements about their future. Sylvanas confided to Nathanos her plans to bolster the ranks of the Forsaken by directing the Horde's bloodlust against the humans of Stormwind.
Later on, Nathanos relayed an invitation to Sylvanas to attend the Desolate Council's ceremony which honored the Forsaken who fell in the war against the Burning Legion. On Nathanos' return to the Undercity however, he reported that Sylvanas was not able to attend with her duties preoccupying her and has sent Nathanos as an emissary in her stead. While Vellcinda Benton and Nathanos discussed plans for the Forsaken, they were interrupted by Alonsus Faol who gave them each messages from King Anduin Wrynn; one of which was addressed to Sylvanas and concerned the proposal of the Gathering. Nathanos was furious Alonsus was a Forsaken and fraternizing with the Alliance High King, but Faol claimed he was politically neutral as he was not a member of the Horde, but a simple priest of the Light. Nathanos traveled to the Gallywix Pleasure Palace to relay King Anduin's missive to Sylvanas. Nathanos advised Sylvanas to use the Gathering to her advantage by publicly supporting it and either using the reconnection with their loved ones to motivate the Forsaken to continue existing as undead and prolong their will to propagate, or use the hurt feelings from the reunion's failure to sway the Forsaken masses to be amenable to bloodlust and vengeance on the living. After hearing Nathanos' opinion of the Desolate Council not being a threat and considering the benefits, Sylvanas consented to the Gathering, but only with the Desolate Council members' sole participation and a small group of humans. Sylvanas and Nathanos returned to the Undercity, where she clarified her concerns and stipulated the conditions for the Gathering.
Nathanos attended the Gathering with Sylvanas and observed the event from Thoradin's Wall. He continued to advise Sylvanas on how she could use the Gathering to politically benefit her. However, when she ordered all the Forsaken participants to be executed despite some of them not defecting, even he was shocked by her ruthlessness.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
War of the Thorns
Nathanos Blightcaller helped hunt down Alliance spies infiltrating Orgrimmar and was ensuring that the meetings of his warchief remained private. Eventually, Varok Saurfang let Nathanos in on his and Sylvanas' secret plan and recruited Nathanos to act out an adversarial relationship with him in order to trick the Alliance into thinking Saurfang was chafing against Sylvanas's rule and was bullying her into endorsing a major Horde campaign in Silithus. The Alliance took the bait; fearing the Horde was proliferating Azerite weapons, they sent a sizable night elf fleet to Silithus as deterrence. Tyrande Whisperwind traveled to Stormwind City to help the Alliance leadership plan the war, leaving only Malfurion Stormrage and his skeleton crew of night elf defenders for the Horde to contend with. This primed the Horde's campaign for their true objective: the conquering of Darnassus.
When the Horde army marched to Ashenvale, Nathanos rode with Saurfang. Nathanos contemplated how Saurfang was trusted by the Horde due to his history of warfare and sacrifices, but was resentful that the Horde hadn't given Sylvanas the same trust even though she had accomplished just as much if not more than Saurfang. Nathanos viewed the Horde as weak willed and short sighted, and only Sylvanas knew what laid beyond life and had the will to act. Although some may consider her actions cruel, Nathanos supported her regardless because life was cruel and fleeting and it delighted him that her plans soared over the horizon of mortality and frightened many. Nathanos was also elated to carry out Sylvanas' will — to kill kaldoeri on their own soil and take their home for her.
Despite fierce resistance from the night elves, the Horde had managed to secure Ashenvale. Still, Nathanos complained how steadfast the night elves were to resisting him, even to the bitter end. After rescuing Saurfang from an ambush in Astranaar, Nathanos accompanied the Horde army into Zoram'gar Outpost in Ashenvale. Upon learning about the appearance of the wisp wall on the border of Ashenvale and Darkshore, he was confident his dark rangers and demolishers could take it out, though Sylvanas Windrunner warned him not to underestimate it. When Sylvanas ordered Varok Saurfang to find a way to Darkshore through Felwood's mountains, Varok asked Nathanos if he knew any smugglers there. He responded that they could find one and persuade him to help the Horde. Nathanos introduced a darkspear troll named Rejiji to Saurfang, and Reijiji led Saurfang to a smuggler's pass they could use to scale the mountains of Felwood. Together, Rejiji, Varok, Nathanos and a part of the Horde army went into Felwood, and eventually reached Darkshore from the north. Once there, they desecrated the forests, luring the wisps to them and dispersing Malfurion's wisp wall.
Once the Horde breached Darkshore, the night elves were defeated. However, Nathanos along with Sylvanas were enraged to learn that Saurfang had let Malfurion escape alive. Nathanos yelled that Malfurion will return to take many Horde lives in vengeance, but Saurfang was content with his decision and would face the night elf when that day came. When Nathanos threatened Saurfang with violence, Sylvanas broke up their bickering and told them to focus on finishing the battle. Saurfang set out to making arrangements for the boarding of Teldrassil, and Nathanos contemptuously answered his questions about the logistics of the next step.
After securing Darkshore, Sylvanas gave Nathanos and Varok orders to secure the beach and prepare to invade Teldrassil. As Sylvanas went off to speak to a gravely injured Delaryn Summermoon, Nathanos inspected the carnage of the battle. His examination was interrupted by Sylvanas who suddenly ordered him to burn down Teldrassil. Nathanos hesitated for a moment only for Sylvanas to repeat her order more sharply, causing Nathanos to set off on executing her command. Wide eyed, Nathanos watched Teldrassil burn.
Battle for Lordareon
During the Battle for Lordaeron, Nathanos led an assault against the Alliance alongside Lor'themar Theron in the back side of Lordaeron Keep in an attempt to stop them, but was defeated when void elven reinforcements led by Alleria Windrunner came to aid King Anduin Wrynn and his force. Alliance forces win the battle and the Horde is forced to retreat into the throne room, where he received orders from Sylvanas to saturate the Ruins of Lordaeron with the Forsaken Blight. Following this, he and the other Horde leaders were seen on a zeppelin flying away from the plagued Lordaeron.
Later, Nathanos then gathered Thalyssra, Rokhan, and the Horde champions on Sylvanas' orders for a mission in Stormwind City. While en-route to Stormwind Harbor, Nathanos instructed the Horde members about mission and later helped them escape from the city.
Horde War Campaign
Nathanos can be found aboard the The Banshee's Wail docked at Port of Zandalar, where on orders from Sylvanas he directs the Honorbound's operations to secure their position on Zandalar and Kul Tiras. He questioned Garona about her loyalty to the Horde and revealed that he knows that her killing of King Llane Wrynn wasn't her choice. In turn she pointed out that the zeal at which he struck out against the Alliance seemed to be motivated beyond his loyalty to Sylvanas, causing Nathanos to admit that after the Alliance rejected the fallen of Lordaeron and started hunting them, he vowed to hunt the Alliance in turn.
With outposts established on Kul Tiras and convinced that the Horde partnership with the Zandalari Empire would be secured, Nathanos directed Horde the into establishing a more a suitable base for operations against the Alliance. To this end, he directed them to conquer Timberfell Outpost within Tiragarde Sound and then reinforce the newly controlled outpost. Following the death of Captain Amalia Stone, Nathanos ordered for her body to placed within a wagon.
Seeking to learn about the Kul Tiran fleet, Nathanos sought the body of a Kul Tiran war hero and directed the Horde to the Barrowknoll Cemetery within Drustvar. After the Horde examined the graveyard of its inhabitants, Blightcaller decided to focus their attention on Marshal M. Valentine. After breaking into Valentine's crypt, Nathanos discovered that the crypt didn't actually contain the corpse of Valentine. He was then subsequently informed by the resurrected Captain Stone that the Marshal's body was lost at sea. He later sent the Speaker of the Horde to aid Rexxar and Lilian Voss in discovering the location of Thomas Zelling, a powerful tidesage capable of discovering Velentine's body. When the Val'kyr Kyra left the Banshee's Wail, Nathanos was surprised but approved of the choice to resurrect Thomas Zelling as a Forsaken.
While the Speaker searched for Valentine's body, Nathanos and the rest of the Honorbound abroad the Banshee's Wail came under attack by the Alliance. While looking for Valentine's corpse, the Speaker unexpectedly discovered the body Derek Proudmoore, Crown Prince of Kul Tiras. With the Alliance driven off the Speaker brought both corpses onto the Banshee's Wail. Valentine was soon after resurrected as a Forsaken and sent to Boralus to inform Katherine Proudmoore that the Horde was in possession of her son's corpse, which was located at Plunder Harbor. While the Kul Tirans besieged the harbor, the defenses of Boralus were weakened, just as Nathanos planned. While the Horde and Fogsail Freebooters fought to defend the harbor, Nathanos ordered the Speaker of the Horde and Zelling with breaching Boralus and acquiring the Abyssal Scepter. After the Abyssal Scepter was acquired, the pair returned to inform Nathanos of the mission's success when they were interrupted by General Cadarin who offered the life of Valentine in exchange for the body of Derek Proudmoore. Not to be deterred, Nathanos refused, an act which cost Valentine his life. Following the death of General Cadarin, Nathanos gave the order for the Abyssal Scepter to be used to destroy the Kul Tiran fleet and ordered for Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner to informed of the mission's success.
Tides of Vengeance
After discovering a black moon now hangs over Darkshore Nathanos sent scouts in order to discover what caused the transformation. However none of them returned and Nathanos became convinced that the night elves were up to something. In order to discover what the Army of the Black Moon was up to, Nathanos ordered for the lieutenants to be hunted down and interrogated. He also ordered for the slain night elves to be risen into their service, in order to replenish Horde forces in the area. After witnessing Tyrande's transformation into the Night Warrior through the Lost Wisp, Nathanos revealed that he was unsettled and remarked that they needed to accelerate their plans.
Under orders from Sylvanas, Nathanos called for Delaryn Summermoon to be raised into undeath. However when Horde adventurers attempted to raise her, they were attacked by Sira Moonwarden. After Sira was defeated, Nathanos ordered for her death. Though adventurers can carry out this task out if they refuse Nathanos himself will deal the killing blow on the warden, dryly noting that he knew the adventurers "didn't have it in them" to kill her. At Nathanos's command the Val'kyr Brynja and Signe began raising Delaryn Summermoon and Sira Moonwarden, however during the ritual Nathanos was attacked by the Army of the Black Moon led by Tyrande Whisperwind. During the battle, Nathanos was empowered by the Val'kyr which seemingly allowed him to get the upper hand against the Night Warrior until Malfurion Stormrage joined the fray. In response, Brynja personally entered the battle to aid Nathanos which gave Signe enough time to finish the ritual. Following their resurrections, Delaryn Summermoon and Sira Moonwarden declared for the Forsaken causing Tyrande to lash out and kill Brynja. The death of the Val'kyr caused Nathanos to order the Horde forces to retreat. After he declared that "They will all pay", Nathanos called for the Horde to prepare for battle.
As part of the renewed war effort, Nathanos ordered the Speaker, Rexxar, and Zelling to launch an assault against the Azerite supply that was in the possession of Kul Tiras and the Alliance. With the Azerite now in Horde's hands Nathanos revealed that it was already being prepared for the Horde's next attack. After Trade Prince Gallywix engineered a plan with the claimed Azerite to deal with the Alliance, Nathanos sent the Speaker of the Horde to aid Gallywix, at the Trade Prince's own request. Blightcaller personally instructed them to ensure that he stays alive as the Alliance previously made an attempt on Gallywix's life. Under orders from Nathanos, Rexxar, Valtrois, and the Speaker worked to break Lady Priscilla Ashvane out of her prison and deliver her to Sylvanas.
After receiving word that the Alliance had mounted an attack through Nazmir Nathanos sent the Speaker to the Great Seal in order to confer with King Rastakhan and Princess Talanji. He later participated in the battle against the Alliance within Nazmir itself. Following the death of the Blademaster Telaamon and the destruction of the Abyssal Scepter, Nathanos, along with his allies, discovered that Telaamon and his forces were a bait to lure the them away from Dazar'alor in order to weaken the city's defenses. Realizing that the city was in danger, the combined Zandalari and Horde army rushed back to defend the city, with Nathanos among them. Amidst the fighting, Nathanos heard Talanji's wail due to discovering her dying father, and the Blightcaller locked eyes with Jaina Proudmoore. As Proudmoore departed, he gave the order to get to king.
Nathanos attended the funeral of King Rastakhan, where he encouraged Talanji to let her grief be stated by vengeance against the Alliance. He was later present at Talanji's coronation.
After Baine Bloodhoof called champions of the Horde to aid him in a secret task, Sylvanas's loyalist sought to bring it to Nathanos's attention. In response to Baine wishing to act in the shadow, Nathanos gave them his protection and ordered them to aid Baine in his task to discover what he was planning. Nathanos was later informed that Baine, with the help of Thomas Zelling, liberated Derek Proudmoore and delivered him to Jaina Proudmoore. In preparation for the leaders of the Horde gathering at Warfang Hold in Stormsong Valley, Nathanos sent Horde heroes to help secure the area. During the meeting of the Horde leaders, Nathanos held Zelling at bow point when Sylvanas revealed that she knew Zelling had aided in returning Derek to the Alliance. After Baine admitted his own role in the event, Nathanos killed Zelling which outraged Baine. Following Baine's arrest, the Dark Lady and her champion left the stronghold.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Old Hillsbrad Foothills||48|
|98 - 110||3,365,231|
|98 - 110||2,019,139|
|Stormheim||98 - 110||5,047,846|
This section concerns content related to Legion.
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
Nathanos was involved in the following quests:
One strategy was to take Nathanos down as fast as possible, whilst reducing the aggro on weaker party members. This enabled the group to at least complete the quest, or gain honor under the Honor system for the kill, while all the party were (still) alive.
You needed at least 8 people in a raid group at lower levels, with a main and off-tank.
Focus on Nathanos himself and take him down as fast as possible. He can be taken down in a minute or so, at which point no more skeletons will be added. The Blighthounds will not do any serious damage until he is down. Deal with them second, and the skeletons third.
Avoid healing as 2-4 skeletons are attracted to the healer. This includes direct heals, heal over time spells, Warlock's drain spells, bandages, potions, pet heals, and life stealing enchants. Rather than heal, run; stop fighting to reduce threat (trinkets etc. with Spirit bonuses are useful here) and heal normally; or let your tanks do the healing to attract aggro back.
It was easy to solo him at level 80, especially if you are a tank.
The subject of this section has been removed from World of Warcraft.
- I can smell your fear, <race>.
- Prepare for a severe beating.
- I shall wear your entrails as a necklace.
- How dare you!
- If you run now, you may live.
- You merely prolong the inevitable. Succumb. She will free your misguided soul.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
- Main article: The Warchief Beckons#Notes
- Main article: The Splintered Fleet#Notes
- Main article: The Windrunner's Fate#Notes
- Main article: A Grim Trophy#Notes
- Main article: Summons to Orgrimmar#Notes
- Main article: Witness to the Wound (Horde)#Notes
- Out with it.
- Do not test me.
- What is it?
- Make it quick.
- How dare you?!
- I should wear your entrails as a necklace!
- If you run now you may live.
- Make yourself useful.
- For the Dark Lady.
- Try not to get yourself killed.
- Get moving.
After the meeting held inside Grommash Hold during , Nathanos and the dark rangers are providing security for the funeral service outside Orgrimmar. However, this doesn't stop a curious adventurer from inquiring about his new appearance...
- Not now!
- There's something different about you, Blightcaller...
- I'm here to ensure the Warchief's protection. Draw your weapon against her and you'll be dead before the first drop of your blood hits the ground.
- As for anything else... it doesn't concern you. Understood?
Well, well... the illustrious <order title>. Still basking in the glory of your victory over the Legion, no doubt.
<Nathanos rolls his eyes.>
The Dark Lady has entrusted you with securing new allies for the Horde. For your sake, let us hope her faith has not been misplaced.
The subject of this section did not make it out of the PTR stages.
They put YOU in charge of procuring new subjects for the Dark Lady?
<Nathanos rolls his eyes and mutters>
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
- Main article: A Quick Flyover#Notes
- Main article: An Unstoppable Force#Notes
- Main article: The Battle for Lordaeron (Horde)#Notes
- Main article: Mission Statement#Notes
- Main article: The Stormwind Extraction#Notes
- Humph... Speaker of the Horde.
- The Zandalari do not seem to like me much.
- The Warchief's will be done.
- We need that Zandalari fleet.
- The Zandalari fleet must join the Horde. Make it happen.
- Get Zandalari to join the Horde, hero.
- The Alliance is not going to wait for us to build a fleet before they attack. We need the Zandalari.
- The war with the Alliance will end us if we do not have the Zandalari fleet.
- Gossip in Dazar'alor
This war is long overdue.
The Alliance cloaks itself in righteousness and piety. Rubbish! They spurn and revile anyone who does not fit into their narrow world view.
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Garona Halforcen walks over to Nathanos Blightcaller.
- Garona Halforcen says: The zeal with which you attack the Alliance seems borne of more than deference to your queen, Blightcaller.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: I once fought for their cause. The Alliance's insufferable arrogance has increased tenfold since they turned their backs on us.
- Garona Halforcen says: Turned their backs?
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: When the Lich King's hold over us was broken, Sylvanas sought allies. Instead of embracing their fallen kin of Lordaeron, the humans spurned us. Hunted us. So I vowed to hunt them.
- Garona Halforcen says: Ah, vengeance fuels you. I can appreciate that.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: Vengeance. Contempt. Call it what you will.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: When the last of his subjects has been slain and raised Forsaken, the boy-king will kneel before the Dark Lady. And at long last, there will be but one queen to rule them all.
- Garona Halforcen walks back to her post.
- <Stay a while and listen.>
- Nathanos Blightcaller walks over to Garona Halforcen.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: Your strikes on Alliance targets have been most impressive, Garona. I admit, I wondered if your loyalties might be... divided.
- Garona Halforcen says: Because I was once befriended by the young king's grandfather? I murdered him, if you recall.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: I am familiar with the tale. I also know that killing Llane Wrynn was not your choice.
- Garona Halforcen says: No. And you are doubtless aware that I have worked with the Alliance when it served my purposes. But I owe them nothing. The Horde is my home.
- Nathanos Blightcaller says: Good. The Alliance deserves no sympathy. No quarter. Make them suffer, and the Dark Lady will reward you.
- Garona Halforcen says: I caused the downfall of one king. Perhaps it is time I ended the reign of another.
- Nathanos Blightcaller walks back to his post.
- Where is Derek Proudmoore being held?
- Derek Proudmoore is being kept in the Hall of Ritual until preparations are complete to properly twist his mind.
- Try not to get in the way.
Get on with it.
Relationship with Sylvanas
There are strong implications that Nathanos and Sylvanas may have had a romantic relationship while alive - with echoes of this perhaps persisting in their undeath.
- Nathanos was unpopular with his high elf comrades during his time as a Farstrider. Sylvanas championed Nathanos's cause in the face of all adversity, from her comrades and even from elven royalty. It was widely rumored throughout the Farstriders that their ranger-general had a romantic interest in her disciple. Neither denied it; Nathanos's only concern was that it might adversely affect Sylvanas's authority.
- In the short story Dark Mirror, Nathanos expresses an explicit attraction and deep personal loyalty to Sylvanas, stating that she is more important to him than his home, or his position as ranger lord. The text further places emphasis on the physical closeness between the two, such as Sylvanas brushing his hand with her fingertips and requesting his "company" for the night at the Marris Stead.
- Dark Ranger Anya outright mocked Nathanos for not seeing Sylvanas's lingering favor and affection for him for what it is. "Sylvanas defied a kingdom to name you ranger lord. She scoured the Plaguelands to reclaim you from the Scourge. And today she drew upon her most precious resource to restore your strength. Think upon these things, Blightcaller, and tell me how someone so cunning can be blind to the simplest of truths."
Notes and trivia
- Nathanos is explicitly referred to as a dark ranger in Before the Storm, and in-game he displays typical dark ranger abilities like the the summoning of skeleton minions and the usage of a special . In the Trading Card Game he is classed as a ranger, a classification shared only with one of Sylvanas' TCG cards (which calls her an "Undead Banshee Ranger").
- His generic appearance is an undead male elf named Dark Ranger.
- Jastor Gallywix called him Nathanos "prince of all that's death and destruction" Blightcaller.
- Despite his extremely poor treatment of the player, often referring to him or her as "imbecile" and numerous variations thereof, Nathanos has become a popular character in the franchise, and his return to the Undercity has been largely met with affection. This is perhaps due to fond memories of vanilla Warcraft, where Nathanos was a force to be reckoned with and Horde players would often defend the powerful Blightcaller from the Alliance.
- When talked to in-game, Nathanos says he survived the attempts on his life by playing possum.
- In In the Shadow of the Sun, Renthar Hawkspear and Aurora Skycaller make the inference that Nathanos "never became Scourge," and that Sylvanas must have "called him to her service" before Arthas could exert a proper dominion over him. This is curious, as their version of events is in direct contradiction to Nathanos's own, in which the Banshee Queen's champion reiterates his time spent as a mindless thrall of the Lich King before Sylvanas freed him. Of course, they would reasonably not have access to this information; the player only learns because Nathanos himself lets them know.
- Nathanos Marris can be seen in the Old Hillsbrad instance in Southshore's Town Hall speaking with Bilger the Straight-laced.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Nathanos is voiced by Jim Pirri.
- During the Battle for Lordaeron, Nathanos rides a darkhound mount that is unavailable to players.
- Nathanos's "irritated" on-click quotes are all references to quotes he would yell in battle against Alliance players before Cataclysm.
- Nathanos loathes birds.
- Data-mined sound files revealed that Nathanos was meant to participate in the Battle for Darkshore, opposite of Malfurion.
He may be related to Marshal Marris.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Model updated.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Updated with a new model and voice.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Moved from the Marris Stead to the Undercity. Now a hunter trainer.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Added.
- ^ a b
- ^ a b c d e Before the Storm, chapter 2
- ^ Through Vanilla to WotLK
- ^ a b c d e f g h Dark Mirror
- ^ a b Nathanos Blightcaller (Scourgewar)
- ^ a b
- ^ In the Shadow of the Sun
- ^ a b
- ^ World of Warcraft: Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 141
- ^ a b c d A Good War
- ^ Warbringers: Sylvanas
- ^ Gossip text aboard the Banshee's Wail
- ^ Gossip text aboard the Banshee's Wail
- ^ Queen Sylvanas Windrunner
- ^ Undercity gossip text
- ^ Squacks (quest) - "I loathe birds. Screeching, fithy things."