Cult of personality around, and worship of, Queen Azshara
- “There, at the bottom of the Maelstrom, the naga built for themselves a new city, Nazjatar, from which they would rebuild their power. It would take over ten thousand years before the naga would reveal their existence to the surface world.”
The city was constructed following the events of the Great Sundering, when the remaining Highborne became the naga and, under the direction of their ever-pragmatic Queen Azshara and Lady Vashj, set about constructing a new capital beneath the waves of the Great Sea. Thus, Nazjatar was created. It now serves as the seat of Azshara's court and the point from which she and her followers constantly plot to one day reclaim that which they once ruled. In this city which rivals even the splendor of the previous Kaldorei capital of Zin-Azshari, Azshara rules over the naga race.
In the RPG
Built into the walls of the Rift is the naga capital of Nazjatar. This is the seat of their hideous empire, and it is an eerie and frightening place. The buildings’ foundations merge with the walls of the Rift, though the structures themselves are oriented vertically, as normal (not horizontally; their foundations are on their walls). Naga swim among the buildings, conducting their nefarious plans.
Much of Nazjatar was once a Kaldorei city, and the ruins and architecture remain. However, the naga have added a good amount of their own art to this place, dredging building material from coral and rock and the fallen ruins of their former civilization. The place has a dark and sinister atmosphere. The buildings’ colors are muted, usually tan or gray, and bear carvings of waves, seahorses, fish, and more disturbing motifs: powerful naga warriors and mages, battling the makrura, enslaving the mur’gul, and returning to the surface to exact revenge on their ancient kin.
Queen Azshara, grown massive in size and in power, dwells in a great palace in Nazjatar’s center; this structure was her palace in the Kaldorei civilization 10,000 years ago as well.
Nazjatar is found in a trench beneath the Eye of the Maelstrom. Nearby areas of interest include Mak'aru — capital city of the makrura lobster-men, Gishan Caverns, Pillar Deep, the Boiling Terrace, Rift, and Drowned Reaches.
Notes & trivia
- The War of the Ancients Trilogy mentioned that Zin-Azshari sunk whole to the bottom of the ocean during the Sundering and, "over the centuries, [would] begin to birth a new horror".
- Naga on the Broken Isles occasionally yell: "For Nazjatar!", while some on Outland yell: "By Nazjatar's Depths!"
- A map datamined from Battle for Azeroth alpha is labeled as Nazjatar.
- The name 'Nazjatar' is presumably derived from the name of the naga language, Nazja, or the opposite.
- The destruction wrought by the Deathwing's emergence from Deepholm may have damaged Nazjatar, as this violent event occurred in the the vicinity of the Maelstrom and, as such, near the naga capital.
Nazjatar can be seen in a very early WoW map.