Necrotic Strike is a Unholy death knight honor talent, available at rank 46.
- Targets with the Necrotic Wound debuff will not benefit from healing until the debuff is fully absorbed or expires. The debuff cannot be dispelled.
- The debuff will absorb all types of healing, including self-healing.
- Repeated applications of Necrotic Strike will stack, refreshing the debuff and increasing the total healing absorbed.
- Although Necrotic Strike's damage can crit, the absorb effect is a fixed amount based on attack power and is not increased by critical strikes.
- This ability is meant to bring back some of the old flavor from when death knights could dispel heal-over-time (HoT) effects. It also gives the class a bit more PvP utility without simply replicating a -style effect, and is extremely effective against healers.
Tips and tactics
- Healers playing against death knights should be particularly aware of Necrotic Strike, whether on themselves or their allies. One of the main dangers of the ability is that healers will leave healing until the last minute; with Necrotic Strike debuffs in place this can spell disaster. The best answer to this is probably to be vigilant when facing death knights, and immediately heal targets in order to remove the debuff.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Re-added as an honor talent. Now absorbs 100% more healing but no longer slows casting speed.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Hotfix (2014-01-10): "Necrotic Strike now reduces the target's casting speed on player targets by 10% (down from 25%)."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 100% weapon damage (down from 150% weapon damage).
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Healing absorption effect has been increased to 225% from attack power, up from 200%.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Weapon damage increased from 100% to 150%, and healing absorbed increased from 70% to 100% of AP. Cast time reduction increased to 50% (25% on players) from 30%, and applied even if the healing is fully absorbed.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Absorption effect is now reduced by the target's resilience. In addition, its debuff duration has been reduced to 10 seconds, down from 15.
- Hotfix (2011-01-18): Necrotic Strike is now affected by resilience.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.