The nether ray is a beast native to Draenor/Outland and Bonich. It has a body much like a stingray's (thus the name) with a long tail and two feathery plumes. It has crystalline growths and stripes running down its body, and all types are brightly colored. Nether rays have been found in Netherstorm, Zangarmarsh, and Shadowmoon Valley and are tamable as hunter pets.
Nether Rays are among the most trusted, versatile mounts in all of Outland and beyond.
Native to the Terokkar Forest, nether rays spawn during the rainy season. Out of the hundreds of offspring resulting from one hatching, very few survive to adulthood. Adult nether rays are relatively docile, but their younglings are short-tempered and highly energetic beasts. The sting of the nether rays are filled with venom.
While not especially big as a whole, at least one titanic specimen has been allegedly spotted by adventurers in Zangarmarsh, dubbing it . The Cenarion Expedition would be interested in proof of the creature's existence.
As a mount
- Main article: Nether ray mounts
As a companion pet
- can be purchased from in Terokkar Forest at a cost of 40 upon reaching exalted with the Sha'tari Skyguard.
- Fledgling Nether Rays can be captured in pet battles in Netherstorm.
- can be purchased from <Sha'tari Defense Quartermaster> at a cost of 1,000 2,000 upon reaching revered with the Sha'tari Defense.
As a hunter pet
Nether Rays are a family of hunter pets that are tamable starting at level 60. They allow hunters of any specialization to provide a bloodlust effect with the ability. Prior to patch 6.0.2, this utility was only available to Beast Mastery hunters using the exotic Core Hound pet. There are five different skins available for nether ray pets, all found in Outland.
- There are various drawings of nether rays in the Outland map. When zoomed in on Netherstorm or Nagrand, detailed drawings of nether rays can be found in the upper and lower left corners respectively.
- It is possible to mistake a nether ray for a spore bat if you are not looking closely, and that mistake might cost you.
Nether rays have a unique way of achieving flight; their "wings" being tiny in comparison to other flying animals. They use the special gland on their underside to excrete spores that produce lighter-than-air gas. This gas produces a pocket under the ray that keeps it afloat, and the ray uses its "wings" to keep the gas pocket under its body. To achieve propulsion, the ray uses its "wings" to squeeze the gas towards its tails, where it streams the gas with its two feather-like tails, and undulates its third paddle-like tail through the stream, giving the nether ray added lift and propulsion. Since the nether ray uses gas to counteract gravity instead of "fighting" against it using lift, it is able to perform just as well as other flying animals, despite its small size.