- A fragment of crystalized nether brought to Azeroth by the Legion. Demon hunters of the Illidari would be interested in these shards.
- For the dagger, see [Nethershard].
Nethershard is a currency used to purchase items sold by the Captive Wyrmtongue at Illidari camps in Stormwind, Orgrimmar, and Legion Invasion sites, as well as several vendors on the Broken Shore.
Specifically, they are crystalized fragments of residual nether energy, a solidified form of the Twisting Nether itself.
The currency may be accrued in a number of ways.
- Complete certain world quests in a Broken Isles zone while it is under attack from Burning Legion forces.
- Complete one-time Broken Shore quests.
- Kill demonic mobs in Broken Shore.
- Loot treasure chests in Broken Shore.
Nethershards dropped from the Legion commanders, barracks commanders and their command crystals during Stage 3 of Legion Invasions. They were also contained in stacks of five and ten from [Small Legion Chest] and [Large Legion Chest], respectively.
While Nethershards did drop for players below level 98, only the [Felbat Pup] was available for them to purchase.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): New tooltip, cap removed, new loot sources, and new vendors in Broken Shore.
- Hotfix (2016-08-12): "Barracks leaders and their command crystals should now also drop Nethershards."
- Hotfix (2016-08-09): "Powerful Legion Commanders in Legion Invasions may now drop Nethershards; the number of Nethershards awarded upon completion of individual Stages has been slightly reduced to compensate."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.