||This article's name is unofficial.
- Please note that while the content is valid, this article's name is not official.
- This is because no official name is available for the subject of this article. We use a descriptive name instead.
- This article should not be moved unless discussed first - Remember to follow the naming policy.
A nian is a huge, two-headed, dog-like beast. They tend to be categorized as beasts and demons. Nian belong to the core hound group due to their large, flaming roar. The name "nian" is taken from the game files, as no other name is known.
Notes & trivia
- A nian called Karbaros was apparently planned to appear in Legion.
- In Chinese mythology, the Nian was a beast that comes in the spring. It is believed that it lives under the sea or in the mountains and comes to attack people during midnight at the same time of the year. People then discovered that the Nian was afraid of the color red, bright light, and loud noises. Therefore, during that time of the year when the Nian comes, people decorate their houses in red, burn firecrackers, and play the Lion Dance with loud drums and gongs to scare the beast away. Eventually, these acts became traditions repeated every year. Also, the Chinese word for year is the same as the name of the beast. A phrase for Chinese New Year, "Guo Nian", means "Passing of the Beast". The creature Omen in World of Warcraft seems to be inspired by the Nian as it appears only during the time of the Lunar Festival.