- For the garrison mission, see The Night Watch (mission). For the Azsuna elven guards, see Nightwatchers.
|Base of operations|
|Theater of operations|
The most prominent dangers are the undead of Raven Hill Cemetery and Tranquil Gardens Cemetery, and the worgen of Brightwood Grove and Roland's Doom. The Night Watch does what it can to keep the region safe, often relying on the recruitment of citizens and passersbyers to aid in their defense.
The Night Watch was established when Stormwind pulled all of their troops out of the troubled region during the time when the kingdom was under the influence of Katrana Prestor. It has been formed and trained entirely by the people of the forest.
Even with King Varian Wrynn's return, Stormwind's forces were so taxed by greater evils that they couldn't spare a single footman to protect Darkshire. It was up to the Night Watch and the heroes of the Alliance to keep the area safe.
During the Burning Legion's third invasion, Althea Ebonlocke and some of the Night Watchers in Darkshire betrayed the Alliance and joined the Veiled Hand. They had the town under strict watch. Watcher Ladimore was the only known member to oppose the cult within the town, and she thought there was dark magic involved. Watchers outside of Darkshire appear to have not joined the cult, as Watcher Danuser can be found as a member of the Unseen Path, still calling himself a Night Watchman as well as using the group's title and speaking about his active duty as a watcher.
With Althea's death, it is unknown who now leads the uncorrupted watchmen.
The subject of this section did not make it out of the beta stages.
- Vashaum Nightwither
- Brannon Aybara <Hunter Trainer>
- Watcher Benjamin
- Watcher Kern
- Watcher Kleeman
- Watcher Larsen
- Kern the Enforcer
In the RPG
Night Watch units move deftly and swiftly through Duskwood. The crafty warriors stalk their undead prey, avoiding direct confrontation with supernatural and mundane opponents. The carefully placed tracks of a member of the Night Watch militia typically lead pursuers into a deadly ambush where eager warriors wait with bows ready. Multiple units often work together under the direction of Commander Althea Ebonlocke. Priests bless the arrows of the Night Watch militia; thus, improving them when battling undead.
- The Night Watch may be a reference to the Night's Watch group in the A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin. Both the Night's Watch and the Night Watch fight to protect the realm from an undead threat, but both have been all but forgotten by their respective kings.
- The name may also be a reference to Rembrandt's famous painting called The Night Watch.
- Most of the names of the members of the Night Watch are taken from the names of killers from various detective novels, such as Blomberg, Backus, Keefer, Callahan, Keller, and Paige.