|This article's name is unofficial.|
Northern Lordaeron is an unofficial name used to refer the unnamed closed zone wedged between the northwestern border of the Eastern Plaguelands, the northeastern border of the Western Plaguelands, and the southwestern border of the Ghostlands. Currently it is an inaccessible zone in-game that may have been part of the fallen Kingdom of Lordaeron, or of the Kingdom of Quel'Thalas. Moreover, this must the place where the Thondroril River is born geographically.
In World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
Previously, the unused area surrounded the Eastern Plaguelands. It was later partially filled in with a copy of Stratholme, a facade of the edge of Ghostlands, and the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave, leaving this small area unaccounted for on the map. Despite being a continuous unfinished area and neither area being an actual zone, Quel'Thalas was marked as a separate unfinished zone on the map before The Burning Crusade (similar to the current map). If the player is able to somehow gain access to the uninstanced copy of Stratholme in the open world, the map will show them as being in this zone.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
Due to the revamping of Azeroth to accommodate flying mounts in Cataclysm, the area has been textured and sparsely filled in with mountains and grass. It was expanded on the Eastern Kingdoms map, but the actual area was unchanged. However, an invisible wall has been placed all around the zone, so that is now impossible to reach it in any way, flying included, unless terrain exploits are used.
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
- As seen in the World of Warcraft: Looking for Group documentary, the area of Northern Lordaeron was originally going to contain a raid zone called "Dragon Isles", designed for players at level 65 - 70.
- Going to the area tells you that you are in a zone called "Quel'thalas." However, the map split the area into two sections despite both "zones" being completely empty.
- Main article: Quel'Thalas/Eastern Kingdoms terrain
The architecture of the area (a tower, a dock, and a few other buildings) is based from night elven designs found in Darnassus and Teldrassil, perhaps implying that the high/blood elves made use of it prior to founding their own culture in Quel'Thalas. It is important to note, however, that these buildings have been present since the game's initial release before Quel'Thalas even existed in-game.
- Quel'Thalas/Eastern Kingdoms terrain, an adjacent area.
- Northeron, an adjacent area on one concept map that was later added in the Twilight Highlands.