- For lore and background, see Norushen.
|Race||Titanic Watcher (Giant)|
|Location||Siege of Orgrimmar|
Norushen is the third boss of Siege of Orgrimmar. While Norushen plays a pivotal role in the encounter, the target of the encounter is to overcome the Amalgam of Corruption and the Sha that spawn from the players' own pride. Norushen will then aid the players against the Sha of Pride.
- 1 Background
- 2 Overview
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Loot
- 6 Related Achievements
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Patches and hotfixes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Some say that the mogu race was created in the image of this titanic construct, left deep beneath Pandaria to watch over and guard the continent's darkest and most dangerous secret.
Observant Scenario-runners will recognize Norushen from the Dark Heart of Pandaria Scenario. We decided early on in the development process that we wanted to have this Titanic watcher guarding the Vault of Y’Shaarj, and prioritized his model and the chamber for use in the Scenario in order to better foreshadow the upcoming raid encounter.
Norushen seals all players inside a Quarantine Zone and extracts a portion of each player's corruption to form an Amalgam of Corruption. The object of the encounter is to destroy this creature. Players must reduce their personal level of Corruption in order to inflict full damage to the Amalgam. Players can accomplish this by interacting with the nodes of Purifying Light that active around the room, which will pull them into another phase where they must face a role-specific challenge. Overcoming this challenge will Purify the player and allow them to inflict full damage to the Amalgam.
- Interact with a Purifying Light orb to enter the Test of Serenity and defeat the enemies inside to rid yourself of Corruption.
- All damage dealt to Manifestations of Corruption and Essences of Corruption in the normal realm is copied to the boss Amalgam.
- Rotate around the Amalgam to avoid Blind Hatred.
- Interact with a Purifying Light orb to enter the Test of Reliance; inside, keep your allies at full health to maximize their damage to the Greater Corruption and complete the trial.
- Rotate around the Amalgam to avoid Blind Hatred.
- Interact with a Purifying Light orb to enter the Test of Confidence; avoid and weather the Titanic Corruption's attacks to rid yourself of Corruption.
- Rotate around the Amalgam to avoid Blind Hatred.
- Take turns tanking the Amalgam to allow Self Doubt to fade.
- Corruption — Players start the encounter with 75 points of Corruption. While at this level of Corruption they will inflict 50% less damage to the Amalgam of Corruption. When players reach 0 points of Corruption remaining, they become Purified and will inflict 25% more damage to the Amalgam, with each 25 corruption decreasing their damage by 25%.
- Purified — Players who reach 0 Corruption become Purified.
- Amalgam of Corruption
- Unleashed Anger — The Amalgam slashes at their current tank target, inflicting 140% weapon damage as Physical damage.
- Self Doubt — The Amalgam inflicts doubt on their current tank target. Self Doubt increases the damage of Unleashed Anger by 40% per application.
- Blind Hatred — The Amalgam creates a zone of corruption that extends outward and slowly turns in place. All players caught in the path of the corruption suffer 100,000 Shadow damage every second.
- Fusion — Every Expelled Corruption that reaches the Amalgam of Corruption will increase the damage the Amalgam inflicts by 5% for 15 sec.
- Icy Fear — The Amalgam inflicts 100,000 Frost damage to all players every 3 seconds. This damage increases as the Amalgam loses health.
- Frayed — At 50% health remaining the Amalgam starts to Fray. Starting with 50% health remaining and every 10% health lost thereafter the Amalgam relases an Unleashed Manifestation of Corruption.
- Look Within — Players can interact with Purifying Light to Look Within. Doing so transports the player to their own realm where they face a personal challenge based on their role. Successfully completing the challenge will return the player to the normal realm with zero corruption. In Raid Finder Difficulty, players are automatically selected to Look Within. There are no Purifying Light objects to interact with.
- Test of Serenity — Players of the DPS role face the Test of Serenity. To complete this challenge players must defeat the elements of corruption present: Manifestation of Corruption/Essences of Corruption/Fragments of Corruption. Whenever one of these elements of corruption is defeated, it will be unleashed into the normal realm. Failure to complete the challenge will unleash all remaining elements of corruption to the normal realm at once.
- Manifestation of Corruption — These sha creatures repeatedly cast Tear Reality, which inflict Shadow damage to all enemies in a cone in front of the caster.
- Essence of Corruption — These lesser sha creatures repeatedly cast Expel Corruption, which fires a ball of corrupted energies in a straight line, dealing 100000 Shadow damage to anyone it strikes.
- Test of Reliance — Players of the Healer role face the Test of Reliance. To complete this challenge, players must defeat the elements of corruption present: Greater Corruption/Major Corruption/Lesser Corruption. Healers are aided by several allies while Looking Within. Failure to complete the challenge will unleash all remaining elements of corruption to the normal realm at once.
- Greater Corruption
- Test of Confidence — Players of the Tank role face the Test of Confidence. To complete this challenge, the tank must survive for 60 sec against a Titanic Corruption. Success returns the player to the normal realm with zero corruption.
- Titanic Corruption
- Titanic Smash — Inflicts 500,000 Shadow damage to anyone in a cone in front of the caster.
- Corruption — Every successful strike received from the Titanic Corruption inflicts the victim with a stack of Corruption, inflicting 10,000 Shadow damage per application every second.
- Hurl Corruption — The caster hurls a ball of corruption at their target for 300,000 Shadow damage.
- Burst of Corruption — Inflicts 100,000 Shadow damage to all enemies.
- ( Piercing Corruption — Inflicts 100,000 Physical damage to the target. This attack cannot be absorbed.
- Titanic Corruption
- Whenever players successfully defeat an element of corruption during the Test of Serenity it will be unleashed in the normal realm.
- Foul Link — The creatures released from the Test of Serenity copy their damage to the Amalgam of Corruption.
- Manifestation of Corruption
- Burst of Anger — Inflicts 75,000 Shadow damage to all players within the Quarantine Zone.
- Residual Corruption — Inflicts 150,000 Shadow damage every second the player remains in the area. When the Amalgam of Corruption casts Unchecked Corruption this pool will explode for Shadow damage and become a pool of Fading Corruption.
- Essence of Corruption
- Expel Corruption — A ball of corrupted energy travels outward from the caster, inflicting 150,000 Shadow damage to the first enemy in its path or Fusing with the Amalgam of Corruption.
When a player speaks to Norushen to begin the encounter, Norushen will seal the entire raid within a Quarantine Zone. Shortly afterwards, an Amalgram of Corruption will spawn, and the objective of the encounter is to defeat the Amalgram. If it is not defeated within 7 minutes, Norushen will activate the zone's Safety Measures, which will instantly wipe the raid.
All raid members start within the "Normal Realm", and have 75 out of 100 points of "Corruption". Having Corruption translates into less damage done to the Amalgram of Corruption. Raid members will regularly need to port into a "Test Realm" to remove their Corruption and do full damage to the Amalgamation.
The Amalgram of Corruption itself has relatively few abilities. Unleashed Anger is purely a tank concern, which can be handled through active mitigation, while Self Doubt is a stacking debuff handled through standard tank switching. Icy Fear is an unavoidable raid-wide AoE that increases in damage as the Amalgram loses health, and simply requires that the raid stack up whenever feasible to benefit from AoE healing.
Blind Hatred is the primary danger, and works exactly the same way as Immerseus' Swirl water beam, but with the potency of the Disintegration Beam from Durumu. The raid will simply need to rotate ahead of the beam, or run through the boss and around the beam to return to the designated stack point.
Whenever DPS that are in the Test Realm kill one of the adds in their Tests (more on the Tests themselves later), the adds will be sent to the Normal Realm for the rest of the raid to deal with. Unleashed Manifestations of Corruptions are top priority for the raid, as they spam an AoE raid-damaging ability (Burst of Anger). When killed, they leave behind a Residual Corruption void zone that should be soaked as soon as possible (ignoring or forgetting it will quickly lead to a raid wipe due to high AoE damage). The void zones can only be soaked by players with 75 or less Corruption, and will give the soaker 25 Corruption, so this task should be left to tanks and healers, although a DPS player who is just about to enter the Test Realm can also soak without too much of a DPS loss. The second type of add, Unleased Essences of Corruption simply spam Expel Corruption at the Amalgram, which causes the Amalgram to gain a stacking damage buff. Expel Corruption can be intercepted (with the penalty for interception being considerable Shadow damage on the interceptor), and intercepting all Expel Corruption casts is the requirement for the achievement .
Additionally, when the Amalgram reaches 50%, it gains the Frayed ability. This causes the boss to spawn an additional Unleashed Manifestation of Corruption at 50% health and at every 10% health thereafter.
Adds that spawn as a result of DPS players completing their tests have the Foul Link ability, which causes damage done to them to be copied to the Amalgram. It is however important to note that adds that spawn due to Frayed do not have Foul Link, so if the enrage is tight, it may be worth assigning some players (preferably melee) to permanently focus on the boss and have less damage on the adds.
Assigning players to the Test Realm
The Quarantine Zone will contain various Purifying Light orbs: 2 in 10-man groups, scaling to 4 in 25-man groups. A player will need to run to an orb and click it to port over to the Test Realm. The orb will despawn once clicked on, and will respawn once the player returns to the Normal Realm.
The raid will want to get as many DPS players in the Test Realm for as much damage on the Amalgram as possible, but should be wary of sending too many DPS in at once to prevent the remainder of the raid from being overwhelmed with adds. Ideally, DPS should only take half of the available orbs, with the remainder of the orbs being taken by tanks or healers (tanks are generally preferred over healers). Sending tanks and healers over allows them to soak the Residual Corruption void zones.
Therefore, it will be necessary for the raid leader to assign a tank/healer rotation and a separate DPS rotation on the orbs. The exact composition will vary between raid groups, but the raid should aim to have at least a minimum number of players purified that will be necessary to beat the enrage timer before the boss gets Frayed. Once the boss gains Frayed and all players have returned to the Normal Realm, pop / / and kill the Amalgram as soon as possible.
On Raid Finder difficulty, assigning players to the Test Realm is not necessary, as players will be automatically ported into the Test Realm at random. Selected players will be marked with a debuff for several seconds before being teleported, giving them the opportunity to prepare to face their challenge.
The test realm differs based on the player's role (tank, healer or DPS).
Tank Test Realm
The tank Test Realm pits the tank against a Titanic Corruption, and the tank must simply survive for 60 seconds, at which point the tank will be fully purified and will return to the Normal Realm.
The Titanic Corruption has two main abilities: Hurl Corruption must be interrupted, and Burst of Corruption requires the tank to move to avoid the ground attack. None of the other abilities are particularly problematic, and cooldowns can be used when necessary.
The test will end early if the tank manages to kill the Titanic Corruption before the 60 second timer expires. This is extremely desirable, as it means that the next player in the tank/healer rotation can get purified earlier, which may allow extra players to become purified.
Healer Test Realm
Healers in the Test Realm are faced with a Greater Corruption and three NPCs that attack it. The healer must keep both himself and the friendly NPCs alive for 60 seconds to become fully purified and return to the Normal Realm.
The key to this test is to dispel Lingering Corruption within 10 seconds to prevent high Shadow damage on either the healer or one of the NPCs. The only other abilities are a void zone (to be avoided, as with all void zones), and unavoidable damage (Disheartening Laugh) that must simply be healed through.
As with the tank test, the test will end early if the healer is able to do extra damage on the Greater Corruption that results in it being killed before the 60 second timer runs out. This is extremely desirable for the same reasons as for tanks.
DPS Test Realm
DPS will always have to deal with a Manifestation of Corruption and multiple Essences of Corruption. These are the same adds present in the Normal Realm, but with different abilities. The Manifestations have a frontal cone attack that should simply be avoided, and the Essences have a line of fire attack and a frontal shield (so, the Essences should be attacked from behind).
Unlike tanks and healers (who loses all Corruption at the end of their test), DPS loses Corruption based on how many adds they defeat. Defeating the Manifestation removes 40 Corruption, and defeating Essences removes 15 Corruption per Essence. There will always be one Manifestation, while the number of Essences to defeat depends on the player's initial Corruption when entering the Test Realm.
The DPS player will return to the Normal Realm after either 60 seconds or defeating all adds. However, the DPS player must attempt to kill all adds within the time limit, as failure to do so will return the player to the Normal Realm with Corruption remaining, which is undesirable.
Achievement: None Shall Pass
Earning requires that every Expel Corruption cast by an Essence of Corruption while in the Normal Realm be intercepted before reaching the Amalgram. This simply requires that each Essence of Corruption must have a player between it and the boss, and that they be killed with extreme urgency, as Blind Hatred will cause issues with interception.
The achievement can be cheesed by never sending any DPS into the Test Realm -- if no DPS ever goes in, no Essence of Corruption will ever spawn and thus, there will never be any Expel Corruption casts. This, however, will make the already-tight enrage timer even tighter (or indeed impossible), and should only be attempted by a well-geared raid purposefully attempting the encounter in Flexible difficulty.
|Blight Hunters ( · · )||Cloth hands||Intellect DPS|
|Boots of Broken Reliance ( · · )||Leather feet||Spirit|
|Bracers of Blind Hatred ( · · )||Plate wrist||Strength DPS|
|Bracers of Broken Causation ( · · )||Cloth wrist||Intellect DPS|
|Bracers of Final Serenity ( · · )||Mail wrist||Spirit|
|Confident Grips ( · · )||Leather hands||Intellect DPS|
|Drape of the Despairing Pit ( · · )||Back||Strength DPS|
|( · · )||Trinket||Strength DPS|
|Gloves of the Golden Protector ( · · )||Leather hands||Agility DPS|
|Leggings of Unabashed Anger ( · · )||Mail legs||Agility DPS|
|Norushen's Enigmatic Barrier ( · · )||Shield||Spirit|
|Norushen's Shortblade ( · · )||Dagger||Agility DPS|
|Quarantine Shoulderguards ( · · )||Mail shoulder||Agility DPS|
|Rage-Blind Greathelm ( · · )||Plate head||Strength tank|
|Reality Ripper Ring ( · · )||Ring||Agility DPS|
|Rime-Rift Shoulders ( · · )||Cloth shoulder||Intellect DPS|
|Robes of the Blackened Watcher ( · · )||Leather chest||Agility DPS|
|Sash of the Last Guardian ( · · )||Cloth waist||Spirit|
|Shadow-Binder's Kilt ( · · )||Mail legs||Spirit|
|Untainted Guardian's Chain ( · · )||Neck||Intellect DPS|
|Wristplates of Broken Doubt ( · · )||Plate wrist||Spirit|
|( · · )||Sword (1H)||Strength DPS|
- Upon entering
- Lorewalker Cho says: Astounding! Another chamber that looks to originate from these "Titans."
- Lorewalker Cho says: It must have been hidden away long before recorded history. And with good reason!
- Lorewalker Cho says: In the chamber ahead, under our peaceful land, slept the heart of an Old God.
- Norushen yells: Halt!
- Lorewalker Cho says: Oh my! What is this? Hello! I am Lorewalker Cho!
- Norushen yells: No further corruption will enter the heart chamber!
- Lorewalker Cho says: Further corruption? No, we are here to stop the corruption, and save Pandaria!
- Norushen yells: You wish to purge the corruption?
- Lorewalker Cho says: Yes! Please let us pass!
- Norushen yells: Should you pass this door, at this time, you would fail! You, all of you, are corrupted with the insidious plague known as Pride.
- Norushen yells: You stand tall and proud atop your accomplishments, and this will be your downfall.
- Norushen yells: Should you wish to defeat the corruption, you will first need to purify the corruption within yourselves.
- Norushen yells: Speak to me again when you are prepared to face your inner demons.
- Speaking with Norushen
- My eternal vigil has kept the corruption of pride at bay. To face this corruption yourself you must purify yourselves in the burning light. This process will not go easily for you.
- Are you ready?
We are ready, Keeper.
- Norushen yells: Very well, I will create a field to keep your corruption quarantined.
- Norushen yells: Prove yourselves worthy and I will let you pass.
- Norushen yells: The light cleanses; but it is not gentle. Gird yourselves and be purified!
- Look Within
- Norushen yells: Be purified in the light!
- Norushen yells: Face your inner demons!
- Norushen yells: Look inside yourself and cleanse the darkness within.
- Norushen yells: Stand in the light and be judged!
- Player killed
- Norushen yells: Unworthy.
- Norushen yells: Only the pure of heart may pass!
- Norushen yells: The light will not suffer your taint.
- Norushen yells: You have been judged, and proven yourselves worthy. But be warned, what lies beyond will try your souls to their utmost. When you are fully prepared, you may enter the chamber.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2015-07-16): "Norushen no longer sends players to Look Within when there are fewer than 5 players in the encounter on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Hotfix (2014-10-15): "The Norushen encounter should now correctly have a 10 minute enrage timer on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Patch 5.4.2 (2013-12-10): Resolved a situation where Quarantine Measures may sometimes fail to destroy all life within the Quarantine Zone.
- Hotfix (2013-10-29): "Amalgam of Corruption, Manifestation of Corruption, and Essence of Corruption's health has been reduced by 15% on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-10-21): "The number of Look Within orbs spawned by Norushen in Flexible difficulty will now round up instead of down, so that the ratio of orbs to players is never worse than on Normal difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-10-09): "Resolved an issue that could cause the Overconfidence debuff to persist after defeating Zeal."
- Hotfix (2013-10-02): "
- Fixed an issue where Amalgam of Corruption's Unleashed Anger was not always hitting the tank.
- Fixed an issue where Amalgam of Corruption's Blind Hatred may hit players who were not in the beam."
- Hotfix (2013-09-23): "
- Reduced the number of Fragments of Pride patrolling the area leading up to Norushen on Raid Finder difficulty.
- A number of changes have been made to Norushen on Heroic difficulty.
- Starting Corruption for all players is now 75.
- Residual Corruption and Burst of Anger no longer pulse additional raidwide Corruption.
- Expel Corruption no longer increases the target’s Corruption.
- Increased the health of the Amalgam of Corruption to offset the reduced Corruption generated by external sources.
- The Purified buff no longer persists after gaining additional Corruption."
- Hotfix (2013-09-20): "Look Within should now correctly favor selecting characters with higher levels of corruption for trials during the Norushen encounter on Raid Finder difficulty."
- Hotfix (2013-09-18): "Players on Raid Finder difficulty with the Despair aura should no longer remain in the wrong phase when the fight ends."
- Hotfix (2013-09-13): "
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Added.