- This article is about the lore. For the instanced raid, see Ny'alotha, the Waking City.
Ny'alotha, referred to as the sleeping city or the dreaming city, is the domain of the Black Empire, a dimension inhabited by the Old Gods and their minions. After being freed from his titan prison during the Fourth War, N'Zoth began trying to tear down the veil separating Ny'alotha from the physical world, unleashing nightmares and visions of a future in which the forces of the Old God are ascendant unto Azeroth.
|This section is a lore stub.|
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
The events within the Eternal Palace have set the stage for the Old God N'Zoth's release from his titanwrought prison, Ny'alotha, the Sleeping City, has awakened. Under N'Zoth's command, the armies of the Black Empire threaten to engulf the world and reshape it according to their master's vision. Nightmares dwell in Ny'alotha, the Waking City the Void-shrouded heart of the ancient Black Empire. The champions of Azeroth venture deep into the horrific realm to confront mad heralds and inscrutable horrors, and ultimately go eye-to-eyes with N'Zoth himself for one final confrontation against the Old God in a fateful battle for Azeroth's survival.
- In the land of Ny'alotha there is only sleep...
- In the sleeping city of Ny'alotha walk only mad things.
- Ny'alotha is a city of old, terrible, unnumbered crimes...
- You will rest in Ny'alotha. ()
- N'Zoth... I journey... to Ny'alotha... (Il'gynoth)
- This city of elves pales in comparison to the sleeping city... (Xal'atath)
- Do not be impressed by tall icons of the titans which stand here. The towers of sacrifice in Ny'alotha dwarf these pathetic temples. (Xal'atath)
- Za'qul's title is "Harbinger of Ny'alotha".
- The name Ny'alotha may be derived from Nyarlathotep of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Notably, one of the quotes ("city of old, terrible, unnumbered crimes") is similar to a line from the short story Nyarlathotep. It may also be a reference to R'lyeh, the underwater city where Cthulhu slept, dreaming, or Y'ha-nthlei, the ancient sunken city of the Deep Ones located just off the coast of Massachusetts.
- Ny'alotha could be the city that N'Zoth formerly ruled over before being defeated by the titans.
- There are a number of Old God related realms: the Void, Twilight Realm, Realm of Y'Shaarj, Dread Expanse, and Za'qul's Fear realm and Delirium realm, all of which could have some relation to Ny'alotha or one another in some way.
- The consumers of souls in the Brawler's Guild arenas which can only be seen in an alternate dimension by wearing special goggles may be from Ny'alotha.
N'Zoth in Warbringers possibly showing Ny'alotha
- ^ World of Warcraft 2019-10-07. Watch the New Developer Content Update Preview (03:20). YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-10-07.
- ^ Ion Hazzikostas with Millenium
- ^ World of Warcraft 2019-12-19. Battle for Azeroth: Visions of N'Zoth Goes Live January 14. Blizzard. Retrieved on 2019-12-19.